Happy 50th Anniversary The Big Boss

ZenkaigerBat

A classic to be sure.  It's a pity the original theatrical version remains lost.  Having seen the Criterion version with the original Mandarin audio for the first time recently really makes those gaps all the more obvious.  All the same, it's a wonderful introduction to Bruce.  Not everything was in place yet - no battle cries (though I think those were added to the Canto version?), no nunchaku.  But after all that buildup, when he finally gets his first real fight in - it's magical.  A brutal movie, yet sentimental.  Other than some really hokey acrobatics, it has aged incredibly well.  It doesn't feel half a century old by any means.

• Like 7

Killer Meteor

The Big Boss in Mandarin is a bit of an odd experience. The chanbara and period music selected by Wang Fu-liang doesn't fit anywhere near as well as the Peter Thomas music for the US/UK versions.

• Like 5

Yeah, for my next rewatch I'm going to go with the Mandarin dialogue / Thomas OST hybrid Criterion added.  That might be the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, starschwar said:

Yeah, for my next rewatch I'm going to go with the Mandarin dialogue / Thomas OST hybrid Criterion added.  That might be the best of both worlds.

Sold! Me too!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

To each this taste, but I prefer by far Wang Fu Ling's score, followed n'y Joseph Koo's one.

Koo does have that nice "To Be A Man" motif, but I think the actual song is only in the (shorter?) Japanese cut?   Hong Kong cinema has always been multiple-choice, and this film in particular is a good example of it.

• Like 3

I watched it tonight to mark the semi-centennial, although I've noticed info on the dates for the original release seem to range from 23rd-31st October 1971?

While the action was refined in the later Bruce Lee movies, I think The Big Boss might have the best story and character Lee played of the 4 main BL movies

I'm not sure where I stand on which version of the music I like best? Partly because I can't remember if I've seen TBB in Cantonese? I know I've seen it in Mandarin and both English dubs. What I will say though is that I like the Peter Thomas theme best for the opening, but it feels a bit too up beat for the ending and I like the Wang Fu Liang choice best for that.

23 hours ago, starschwar said:

Hong Kong cinema has always been multiple-choice, and this film in particular is a good example of it.

The multiple-choice adds to the enjoyment, even if it can sometimes be a little frustrating when trying to seek out certain versions of movies.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Say what?

I think they were asking if the uncut version was going to be released. By the way, I assume their first language is French, because some of their other posts are written in French.

On 10/25/2021 at 8:34 PM, YATTOU said:
that means whatever the full version of big boss arrives yes or no

improbable