Fist of unicorn

ShawAngela

Question

I just watched this movie and enjoyed it a lot. Kitty Meng Chui is great and it's sot funny to see Mang Hoi as a child there ! And Liu Yung's mother plays in the movie too, as Mang Hoi's mother.

Questions : 1) Why is the movie also called Bruce Lee and I ?!

2) From some of the extras, it looks like he choreographed the fights ?

3) Does anyone ever had a Mandarin language with English subtitles in hands ? In the extras, there is a Mandarin trailer with English subtitles, it would have been great to watch this movie in its original language and subtitles, instead of German language or bad English dubbing !

4) There is an extra showing the premiere, with Bruce Lee, Chen Hui Min, Wu Fung and other actors. If Chen Hui Min plays in the movie, I didn't see him, unless he played one of the henchmen. It seems to me that I red on this forum that he said that he played in it, or did I dream ?

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

It has more than one title, this one most likely used Bruce Lee's name for better sales and is probably referring to his friendship with Unicorn. You probably know Bruce agreed to help on the set and to promote the movie. He was returning a favor to Unicorn Chan who was his friend since childhood and helped Bruce upon his return to HK cinema. They used Bruce's footage in the movie and his image on the poster making Fist of Unicorn a pioneering bruceploitation movie.

Bruce Lee assisted on the choreography though he was supposedly on the set for just one day. You can notice some fights are your average punch & block stuff of the era while some fights have different MA implemented and are ahead of its time. Unicorn Chan's fight with the Judo fighter features judo and aikido, and the fight with Alexander Grand has some jeet kune do, that was obviously Bruce's influence.

There is supposedly a Mandarin version out there but I'm not sure if anyone here has seen it, I'd love to know more as well.

If you think of Chan Wai Man, I don't remember seeing him and I don't think he was in the movie. He's another Bruce's childhood friend who said he'd never impersonate Bruce out of respect but he kinda did eventually in some of his movies.

I agree about Kity Meng, she could have been the next best thing next to Angela Mao. She was opera trained and is Mang Hoi's sister, the two were also in Tang Ti's other kung fu movie Iron Bull.

• Like 4

The 2 disc version of the ‎Soulblade DVD has a Chinese version. It's shorter than the English dub version from the same edition though.

• Like 3

Just now, Omni Dragon said:

The 2 disc version of the ‎Soulblade DVD has a Chinese version. It's shorter than the English dub version from the same edition though.

Oh, really ?! That's an interesting information, thanks !

• Like 4