Biutiful (2010) - Javier Bardem

laagi

After finally watching "No Country for Old Men", I was immediately inclined to find more from Javier Bardem and that's how I stumbled upon Biutiful.

This is a very grim tale taking place in the ghettos of Barcelona. The Story follows Uxbal (Javier Bardem) and his daily life. He's basically a bottom feeder living of chinese and african refugees. It is here where some terrible tragedies happen, in part to Uxbal's own wrong doing. At the same time he's dealing with his broken family and his cancer diagnosis. 

It's really difficult to find any "light" throughout the movie. Not to mention you can't really root for our protagonist. However in all of this sadness, there are shimmer of hope. This is especially visible when Uxbal is with his children or when he's showing signs of his own humanity. But make no mistake it is very depressing at times!

Nonetheless, for it's almost 150 minutes runtime I was thoroughly invested. This comes highly recommended!

I'll be checking out "Amores Perros" next which was also produced by Alejandro González Iñárritu and looks equally grim.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2