Times you changed your opinion on a Shaw Brothers movie

HeavenSword

What movie ( or movies ) have you seen that made you change your opinion on how it was after a rewatch ? A movie that you liked but after a few rewatches saw that it wasn’t that great or a movie you didn’t like at first but then realized there was some good stuff in it . 

I used to like Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre 1 & 2 but after seeing them now I just think they are completely average. Maybe because I loved looking at the set designs  and the colorful costumes, but last time I watched it I realized I’m always confused lol . Too many characters to remember and the fight choreography is all the same. A ton of Derek Yee and his opponents swaying their arms around ( or swinging swords ) followed by some somersaults and trampoline jumps. Oddly enough, I think Candy Wren was the most  interesting character(along with Lo Lieh )    I prefer Hidden Power Of The Dragon Sabre over both. 

• Like 5

I was underwhelmed with both Five Deadly Venoms and 36th Chamber of Shaolin when I saw them as a teenager. Years later, I can see them for the classics they are.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

When I was a teen, I was not really into movies like All Men Are Brothers or Savage 5, but I came around to them years later and they are 2 of my favorite movies.  

• Like 6

I think I found The Five Venoms, Killer Clans and Shaolin Mantis boring the first time round. I was probably expecting more action, and The Five Venoms was probably overhyped. On rewatches, I've admired these 3 movie for focusing on story.

I found the comedy of Mad Monkey Kung Fu too much first time round. I think I was just in the wrong mood. Happens a lot with me and kung fu comedies; sometimes I'll hate them and other times, while I almost never find them hilarious, I'll find them humorous. There is also times when I'm indifferent.

After rewatching I think I actually put Mad Monkey Kung Fu in a top 20 shapes list at one point.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

I think I found The Five Venoms, Killer Clans and Shaolin Mantis boring the first time round. I was probably expecting more action, and The Five Venoms was probably overhyped. On rewatches, I've admired these 3 movie for focusing on story.

Very much agree on Killer Clans. Some of these Shaw brothers films, I don’t think I was “ready” for them back 10-15 years ago. I rewatched Killer Clans last year and it’s a classic. 

• Like 5

I have flip-flopped on The Five Deadly Venoms my entire life. As a teen I loved it, then later on I didn't care for it since I found it low on action and a drag. Re-watching it recently, I definitely appreciate it for what it is rather than what I often want it to be. 

Another one would be Legendary Weapons of China. I used to love this film but, upon watching it again, I realized that I loved the film because of its final fight. Nowadays, I think it's one of Pops' weakest movies and a chore to sit through.

• Like 6

Not fu but the best example I have was when I watched Gilliam's Brazil. I turned it off after 20 minutes the first time. I was in high school. The next day at school we all talked about that movie last night that sucked, except for one friend of mine. 

That was the first time somebody elses, different opinion made such an impact. I decided to rewatch Brazil, but had to wait for two years until I could finally catch it on TV again. This time I thought the movie was bloody brilliant and it was then I decided no matter how bad a movie is, I'm gonna finish watching it.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Not fu but the best example I have was when I watched Gilliam's Brazil.

I had a similar experience with Brazil, I watched in my tweens or early teens and thought it was just weird and stupid, I didn't realise back then it was satire.

I remember seeing Time Bandits as a kid and not liking it because of the ending. I needed time to get understand Terry Gilliam.

• Like 4

Majin Android
12 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Another one would be Legendary Weapons of China. I used to love this film but, upon watching it again, I realized that I loved the film because of its final fight. Nowadays, I think it's one of Pops' weakest movies and a chore to sit through.

I heard various interpretations of this film. It is said to be strangely "meta" in a sense the black magic boxers were representing fantasy martial arts portrayed within that times cinema and pops was clapping back with his character saying that style is bs, showing them how it's really done with the final duel.

• Like 3

Majin Android
On 10/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

QT movies.  I thought he was a cinematic genius until I discovered other parts of cinema existed :BL-Laughing:

it's strange how he re-contextualizes old movie ideas for a newer audience who lap it all up.

in a way he's like dj crate diggin through movies, sampling and reproducing. 

• Like 5

Heroes Two. It was one of first Shaws saw and "back then" thought it was ace. But later on dvd era did not find it anymore that good. It has few good moments but lot not so good ones too. Weakest "shaolin cycle" movie.

Flying guillotine. Would really want to like it more but it`s just so slowburning movie rarely rewatch, like once in 3 years. On first view loved it, great weapon and chen kuan tai but there is very little in flick for wanting to repeat view. Sequel is more entertaining even if not necessarily better movie but has more replay value. One of very few Shaws did not upgrade to br.

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 3

Interesting topic. As a teen, I never cared for the contemporary settings in kung fu films. It always had to be a period picture. Now though, my tastes have changed and I don't mind if its set today or a millennia ago.  As for non KF stuff? Well, I've tried to appreciate Citizen Kane over the years but just couldn't do it. Now? OK, well, I still can't enjoy that one (lol).

• Like 3

I don't know if I ever truly changed an opinion on a film, but I can say that I grew to understand certain films more and learned to appreciate the efforts of actors/directors/film makers over time.

• Like 3

8DiagramAuntieFighter
On 10/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

QT movies.  I thought he was a cinematic genius until I discovered other parts of cinema existed :BL-Laughing:

On 10/17/2021 at 10:55 PM, Majin Android said:

it's strange how he re-contextualizes old movie ideas for a newer audience who lap it all up.

in a way he's like dj crate diggin through movies, sampling and reproducing. 

Exactly how I feel:monk_laughing:

• Like 3