Review for Dog Bite Dog

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

from

www.lovehkfilm.com/review...te_dog.htm

Punishing and insanely intense, Dog Bite Dog is the perfect antidote for those who think Hong Kong Cinema is all dopey comedies starring Alex Fong Lik-Sun. It's also a bit over the top, and so nihilistic that it repels instead of involves. But if this is your type of movie, then Dog Bite Dog won't disappoint.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest goliamoto

The best movie i've seen this year and the best movie of Soi Cheung Poi by far. Its cat III rating is well deserved: the movie is brutal. Edison Chen is really good in his role of a Thai assassin and Sam Lee is amazing too as a Hong Kong policeman. The story and the production are of first class and the action is really good and gritty.

I'm sure Dog Bite Dog will be the best Hong Kong movie of 2006 (after the deception of the stupid Dragon Tiger Gate). I still have to watch the last movies of Herman Yau and Johnny To but I'm sure Dog Bite Dog will surpass them.

Guest drunkencrane082

okay...now i just need to know when this will be available on DVD....sounds like something that will be heads and tails above SPL....anyone have any ideas about an HK DVD release date ?

Guest goliamoto

I'm sure the DVD will be released in maximum 1 month. It was on theathers 3 weeks ago and seeing how fast Recycle and Dragon Tiger gate were released on DVD it must be soon available on DVD. For me it's a must buy.

Umm...I thought that a somewhat similar and nihilistic One Nite In Mongkok was much better. I'm not saying that DBD is not a good movie, but I thought it lacked something to be a really great one. May be it was the soundtrack, may be the pacing, I don't know. Also, it was way over the top, (but so was Love Batterfield) and because of that it didn't look realistic or beleivable. Sometimes I couldn't take it seriously.

My main complaint is the girl. Th actress was bad and her character was really annoying and totally unsimpathetic.

The best thing in the film was Sam Lee. Really good performance. Edison wasn't bad either.

The best scene - the hostage scene with Lam Suet in the beginning. Overall - 4/5

Still, the best HK movie of 2006 so far, IMO

Guest sevenhooks

Picked it up yesterday in c-town on a whim.

I'll let you know what I think after I sit down to watch it - probably tonight.

Guest rindge

Was I the only one to think "this is one crazy *ss" movie? I didn't know what to expect in this film and I'm not sure what I got. Over the top, crazy, tragic are some words that come to mind about this film. I can't say I didn't like it, but I can't say I enjoyed it either. The acting was good except for the young girl. These guys were into their roles. I don't want to spoil the film, but I was blown away by how much death there was. I don't mind death, SPOILER**********but everyone died. Somewhat incomprehensible to me, but hey it's HK cinema. For some reason the over the top style of this movie reminded me of Ricky-O. For those of you looking for a good action movie, this is not it. A good HK cop thriller it is, but be prepared....

Guest Yakuza954

The ending is a real downer. It gets too melodramatic and even has a sappy chinese pop song. The twist they gave Sam Lee's character was also kinda cheesy. Kinda dissapointing since the rest of the movie was so good. 3/5 for me.

Archived