Spiritwalker (2021) - Korean Action, Yoon Jae-keun

laagi

@One Armed Boxer is this on your radar? I couldn't even find a trailer. "The Outlaws" is one of my favourite korean action movies. So my expectations are pretty high!

For now here's a review from the NYAFF https://asianmoviepulse.com/2021/08/film-review-spiritwalker-2020-by-yoon-jae-keun-nyaff-exclusive/

jJlpw_4f.jpg

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 10/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, laagi said:

@One Armed Boxer is this on your radar? I couldn't even find a trailer. "The Outlaws" is one of my favourite korean action movies. So my expectations are pretty high!

I've read about this one for a while, but it had completely escaped me that it's finally had a release, great news!

The only connection it has to 'The Outlaws' though is actor Yoon Kye-sang right?

It kind of reminds me of an action version of 'The Beauty Inside'. :tongueout

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 8:05 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

I've read about this one for a while, but it had completely escaped me that it's finally had a release, great news!

The only connection it has to 'The Outlaws' though is actor Yoon Kye-sang right?

It kind of reminds me of an action version of 'The Beauty Inside'. :tongueout

Well the poster claims: From the producers of "The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil" and "The Outlaws". So that's why I'm pretty excited! I never even heard of "The Beauty Inside" tbh. But just reading the plot outline and you seem to be spot on!

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 12:21 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Well Go USA will be releasing this one on Blu-ray stateside on April 12th - 

https://cityonfire.com/spiritwalker-blu-ray-well-go-usa-spirit-walker/

Finally some good news for a korean production! I feel like lately the pick up of these titles has been slowing down... or maybe it's just me.

• Like 2

A good thriller! While this may not sound too great, I really appreciate the movie for what it is. Simple things like actual stunts, no CGI or a steady camera just focusing in on the action. Thank you!

An increase of intensity with a finale that deserves its name. Lots of Gun Fu with a familiar feel to the John Wick movies but still with enough of its own flavor. Even some short but sweet hand to hand combat.

It's strange that at least I am at a point where I can just appreciate these little things. Also somewhat depressing that I would have to praise a movie for just doing things right which at one point were considered a bare minimum.

Overall I can recommend this movie to any fans of the action thriller genre. It moves at a slower pace but always hits the right time to deliver some sort of excitement.

It is however unfortunately not without its weakness. The story is really where it stumbles. While starting out fairly interesting, I thought the "body swap" was well done, you'll have to suspend quite a bit of disbelief the further it progresses. Not that's it at any point too ridiculous but the movie without a doubt would've benefited from a more polished script.

Last but not least Kudos to the actors. They all did a damn fine job. Especially our leading man Yoon Kye-sang.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

One Armed Boxer
On 3/1/2022 at 7:51 AM, laagi said:

A good thriller! While this may not sound too great, I really appreciate the movie for what it is.

I recently got around to watching this one as well, and in what's quickly becoming one of my most commonly typed sentences on the forum - @laagi I pretty much agree with you on all fronts. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/spiritwalker-2021-review-spirit-walker-korean-action-well-go-usa/

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

This gets a domestic release on 1st June on DVD, surprisingly with no English subtitles, so perhaps Well Go USA purchased exclusive international distribution rights for this one, similar to what we saw with 'The Yellow Sea' back in the day.

Capture.JPG.3cb1ecde0f8d1afc1dd35f5c49fc1673.JPG

• Like 2

I need to give this a full watch one day, I do own it on digital (I think it has both the Korean & English dub tracks).

• Like 3

finally got around to watching this earlier today and really enjoyed it. Think I'm going to pick up the Well Go blu ray for my permanent library.

• Like 3