The Medium (2021) - Na Hong-Jin, Thai/Korean Horror

laagi

What a missed opportunity! I loved everything about it up until the last 20 minutes. However, overall this is still a good movie. It's just unfortunate because it could have been great.

The characters, atmosphere, performances, how it was captured. It just has a sense of realism, which is rarely seen. I did get a "Blair Witch Project" vibe at times. But "The Medium" can stand very well on its own.

If you enjoy a horror movie that comes with an interesting and realistic premise I'd recommend it. As I hinted earlier it has a great build-up and an increasing intensity. It's a shame that the last act (IMHO) ruined this. It just doesn't do justice to the movie! Not to mention it loses its realism, which works great beforehand.

Nevertheless a huge compliment to the actors. Their performances had me question if I'm not watching a documentary afterall. This will premiere on shudder October 14th.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 10/5/2021 at 12:29 AM, laagi said:

What a missed opportunity!

I recently got around to watching this one, and echo these sentiments exactly. I didn't find as many redeeming qualities in 'The Medium' as you @laagi, and ultimately found it to be a frustrating experience due to the squandered potential. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-medium-2021-review-banjong-pisanthanakun-na-hong-jin-thai-korean-horror/

• Like 2