Shin Kamen Rider (2023) - Sosuke Ikematsu, Minami Hanabe

AlbertV

The Last Samurai and Death Note: Light Up the New World's Sosuke Ikematsu will be starring in a feature film adaptation of the original Kamen Rider series to be directed by Hideaki Anno

cast.jpg

Sosuke Ikematsu as Takeshi Kongo/Kamen Rider and Minami Hanabe as Ruriko Midorikawa. Ikematsu had this to say about taking on the iconic role:

"I can’t believe the day has come for me to become Kamen Rider. I think Hideaki Anno is one of Japan’s treasures. It is a great honor to receive such a challenge and opportunity to bring back Kamen Rider with him. In this time of great change in the world, people should not be afraid to look deep within themselves, and they should not forget how harsh the natural world is. It is the time to leap into a new world, to overcome difficulties, and to enter a new stage. In other words, “to transform”. I hope to embody this through Shin Kamen Rider. Filming begins soon, but I believe that Kamen Rider is necessary for this world’s rebirth. No matter what difficulties lie ahead, I will fight to protect the Earth until the very end. Please look forward to the movie’s release in 2023."

• Like 5

I watched this on the big screen and while admittedly not familiar with the source material. Although I did recognize the character. This movie turned out to be overall below average.

There's few things here and there which certainly put a smile on my face. Like the over the top costumes, although some look like straight out of a Spirit Halloween bargain bin. Some of the bloody fights, unfortunately terribly cut. And last but not least the feel of a by gone era.

Unfortunately for every little bit of good there's a bunch of bad. An the latter outweighs the former.

Probably worth a look for fans of the series I doubt anybody outside of the fandom will get much enjoyment out of it.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

Shin Kamen Rider is now on Prime Video. However, you have to search for it by the name "Shin Masked Rider." I'm watching it right now.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I found it to be mediocre. I am not familiar with Kame Rider much at all so the lore is a little lost on me. The action and cheesiness of this film is superb but partway through, it gets all self-serious and convoluted. By the end, I didn't really care for the main bad guy and I felt like the whole thing had lost its charm.

TL:DR - Fight scenes are great. Everything else, not so much.

• Like 1