Modern fights previsualization

Majin Android

For newer action films in Hollywood and Asia. A lot of fights and action undergo previsualization.

Can you tell the difference between newer films that do this and older films with seasoned fight practitioners who did not?

For some newer films, I know I can. The rhythm seems off. Not smooth, you can feel the performers counting their pre-choreographed moves.

Have any modern day fight choreographers spoken against this practice of previsualization of fight scenes?

• Like 2

I only hear the idea of pre-viz’ being praised these days. I’ve heard little to no negativity. But then I think they’re bound to be loved because it gives performers the time to get to grips with a fight scene before filming rolls around. By that, I mean it’s a luxury for stunt and fight performers.

As for me, I can’t say I see the difference. The “rehearsed” feel is no different from the rhythmic, patterned feel of old school shapes. It’s “movie magic” that I very much enjoy. 

• Like 3