Big Trouble In Little China

Guest masterderico

wrewdedededewdedewdedwed

I have it on DVD. Bought it as soon as I got my own DVD player Somehow it wasn't that good now, a little too campy and cheesy even for me. Maybe because I'm older now. But it impressed me greatly when I was young. I was amazed with the special effects (or what counted as special effects back then)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well, a smart man calls the cops." "Cops got better things to do than get killed." "Oh yeah, SO DO I!!!" I have ALWAYS loved this movie!!! :-(())

This one of the all time great quotable movies. I love...

I'd go with you but -

Yeah I know, there's something wrong with your face.

I remember seeing this at the cinema - along with 4 other people!!

Since then, it's been absolutely one of my fave films EVER - it simply never gets old for me.

As previously stated, the commentary with Carpenter and Russell is hilarious - I swear, you can actually hear them getting more and more drunk as the track continues!

As far as I know, both the UK and the US Special Edition DVD's (which are identical, BTW) are now OOP, so pick one up nice and cheap when you see it, 'cos soon it'll be on Amazon marketplace for silly money!!

drunkenmaster

I picked the Special Edition DVD up from a second-hand shop for next to nothing a few months back. It had been years since I saw it last and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I watched it twice, once with the very funny commentary track. Kurt Russell is just so funny in this he is amazing. He sends his tough guy image up perfectly. Carpenter knew this had cult written all over it when he made it and he just didn't care. A true classic.

Just watched this on bluray (1st time on blu, MANY times on dvd). STILL a cheesey classic.

BRING ON A SEQUEL!! lol

TheFlyingPanda

Why I love this movie so much? I don't even know! It could be a little bit of nostalgia, the cool characters, or the memory of watching it as a kid in the Theater. This movie is cheesy, silly, but lovable and that's what makes it such a cult classic! Even John Carpenter has said it himself how many people complement him on this film. I can say I've watched this move more times than my favorite Jackie Chan flick!

This movie is purposely made the way it is. I brought the 2 Disc DVD set, the day it was released in stores and I gotta say it was one of the best DVDs that year, it even had a music video for the theme song and Easter eggs!

Jack Burton is hilarious.

Egg Chen is a cool wizard

Lo Pan is like Marvel's Mandarin

and the Three Storms are something out of a comic book!

The characters (even though campy) are what makes this film what it is.

A remake would do it injustice. Now a sequel can still work. Something tilted like...

"More Trouble in Little China!" and Jack Burton has his well establish Trucking company, he is a big time relaxed guy now when suddenly he is called upon to fight the forces of darkness again. Why? because he has "heart"

Throw Jet Li, Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan in it and call it a day. :wink:

One of my favorite movies of all time... so many classic scenes and lines. I love how none of the cast take themselves too seriously, especially Russell.

Carter Wong was pretty serious. Seriously badd ass.

This movie rules. So do the other Carpenter/Russel movies, but this is my favorite.

Awesome movie. I love how Kurt Russel doesn't really do anything but is presented as a total bad ass.

This movie is so awesome, it has that charm that many movies lack today. It's fun and badass at the same time.

The martial arts scenes are for the most part boring but the Rain vs Wang chi fight was actually very well done and still holds today IMO. A Oriental Dark Fantasy movie is something that I always wanted to see.

For any fans of BTILC, James Hong (Lo Pan) and Peter Kwong (Rain) will be at the Dragonfest on May 18 in Burbank, CA :)

On 1/5/2009 at 0:23 AM, shaolin drunkard said:

I think that hat issue was copied from shogun assassin where was 3 killers with similar hats.

The huge hats worn by the 3 storms in B.T.I.L.C, and the Masters of Death in Shogun Assassin, are called "Ronin Gasa", and were a traditional hat of disgraced Samurai warriors.  They became synonymous with "bad guys" in Asian cinema, and so were appropriate for those characters in these 2 films.  Maybe a bit too 'Japanese' for Big Trouble, but then again, I wasn't that film's wardrobe designer !

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
4 hours ago, Lung Wang said:

The huge hats worn by the 3 storms in B.T.I.L.C, and the Masters of Death in Shogun Assassin, are called "Ronin Gasa", and were a traditional hat of disgraced Samurai warriors.

Thanks Lung Wang. I thought they were Chinese based given the variations of straw hats seen in Hong Kong films. Always great to learn something new about this film. 

Here's a report from the reunion held in L.A. last year. Sounded amazing. 

I`ve seen this movie on home video back in the day (80`s) or on television and it never really did anything for me. It was more "Jackie Chan" than "Bruce Lee" back when I wanted more "BL"! Though, over the years I had seen it several times, I never connected with the movie. The last time that I watched it was just a couple of years ago and I finally wanted to get it on blu-ray. I really dig the movie now. It just took me a while.

Scream Factory will release a Collector's Edition SteelBook of Big Trouble in Little China late this year or early 2020 on Blu-ray Disc.  Audio is TBA.  Since no extras are announced, I assume those will also be announced later.  Announcement at https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Big-Trouble-in-Little-China-Blu-ray/248393/

Archived