Bruce Lee is back in the upcoming 'Game of Death Redux' (version 2.0)!

mpm74

On 10/26/2021 at 2:27 PM, DragonClaws said:

Whang In Sik had time to film exterior scenes, and was present during the filming of at least one of the pogoda fights.

I think I read an interview with Taky where he recalls Bruce asking him to fly out for a part Bruce wanted him to play in GOD but he told Bruce he didn’t want to do it so I’m pretty sure he didn’t film anything.(but you never know)and as other people have mentioned this sort of stuff had it existed would have appeared by now.

• Like 5

The following is a conversation with indie filmmaker, Alan Canvan. He’s a cinema enthusiast and a quote/unquote “Bruce Lee Historian” (more on that later) who has a different – and very controversial – thought process when it comes to his opinions on Bruce Lee and his films, which was one of the reasons I approached him for this interview.

He also shares news about an updated, new and improved version of Game of Death Redux (aka Game of Death Redux 2.0), which will soon be released to the public. I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a chat about it, as well as many other topics surrounding Bruce Lee and his work.  

Check it out at this link or by clicking on the image below: https://cityonfire.com/adapted-by-alan-canvan-a-conversation-with-game-of-death-redux-filmmaker-bruce-lee-criterion-blu-ray-dvd/

ALAN-1.thumb.jpg.3612d2690f3cfa82c0f62bf8437e1abe.jpg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:02 PM, DragonClaws said:

There's been rumours of a complete or partially shot Whang In Sik/Bruce Lee fight from Game of Death for a long time. Since the earliest days of the fan forums. I have a few theories on this one, but I don't have enough knowledge to really say if it exists.

In Fiaz Rafiq's Bruce Lee Conversations book, Whang played down his involvement by not even admitting that he had filmed the New Territories footage or was Chieh Yuen's stunt double for the Ji Han-Jae fight. Whang told Rafiq: "Whilst I was asked to be in the movie, I was filming another movie. I was part of the casting but I never stepped my foot in the production process. I did visit the set once or twice and exercised and fooled around with Bruce Lee, but was never there when they were shooting."

I guess the joke here is that Bruce must have secretly filmed Whang in the NT in response to himself being secretly filmed on location for Fist of Unicorn, which Whang was involved in.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, sym8 said:

I think I read an interview with Taky where he recalls Bruce asking him to fly out for a part Bruce wanted him to play in GOD but he told Bruce he didn’t want to do it so I’m pretty sure he didn’t film anything.(but you never know)and as other people have mentioned this sort of stuff had it existed would have appeared by now.

Then again, Bruce was auditioning other people after the completion of Enter the Dragon. There's an interview that Bruce's butler Wu Ngan did for Kung Fu Monthly where he claimed that all of the pagoda fights had been filmed save for the one outside the pagoda before Bruce & Co. enter. Wu was involved in the audition process.

• Like 4

On 1/17/2022 at 10:09 PM, mpm74 said:

The following is a conversation with indie filmmaker, Alan Canvan. He’s a cinema enthusiast and a quote/unquote “Bruce Lee Historian” (more on that later) who has a different – and very controversial – thought process when it comes to his opinions on Bruce Lee and his films, which was one of the reasons I approached him for this interview.

Only had chance to read half of this so far, and it's very good.

1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

"Whilst I was asked to be in the movie, I was filming another movie. I was part of the casting but I never stepped my foot in the production process. I did visit the set once or twice and exercised and fooled around with Bruce Lee, but was never there when they were shooting."

He was apart of the project, and looked to have a much larger role than the one he played in Way of The Dragon.

• Like 4

On 1/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, mpm74 said:

He also shares news about an updated, new and improved version of Game of Death Redux (aka Game of Death Redux 2.0), which will soon be released to the public. I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a chat about it, as well as many other topics surrounding Bruce Lee and his work.  

Check it out at this link or by clicking on the image below: https://cityonfire.com/adapted-by-alan-canvan-a-conversation-with-game-of-death-redux-filmmaker-bruce-lee-criterion-blu-ray-dvd/

ALAN-1.thumb.jpg.3612d2690f3cfa82c0f62bf8437e1abe.jpg

Incredible interview! Canvan's insights are a breath of fresh air. He's really put in the work to understanding Game of Death. Can't wait to see the updated version. @mpm74 do you know if he's planning to share his script treatment? That would make a great Bluray extra!

On 1/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, mpm74 said:

Two New Posters for Alan Canvan's upcoming "Game of Death Redux"!

Game-of-Death-Redux-Poster-2.jpg.e6a9ab27a886a85345c77c8cd362e003.jpg

Game-of-Death-Redux-Poster-1.jpg.e57ee49c551563a69649fd00b3a07020.jpg

A new and awesome spin on a familiar image. Love these, especially the top one with red lettering!

• Like 5

On 1/19/2022 at 3:49 AM, Cognoscente said:

In Fiaz Rafiq's Bruce Lee Conversations book, Whang played down his involvement by not even admitting that he had filmed the New Territories footage or was Chieh Yuen's stunt double for the Ji Han-Jae fight. Whang told Rafiq: "Whilst I was asked to be in the movie, I was filming another movie. I was part of the casting but I never stepped my foot in the production process. I did visit the set once or twice and exercised and fooled around with Bruce Lee, but was never there when they were shooting."

Yes, he was there for filming but he might not be trying to mislead/lie to anyone. Possible he might not recall much from that time now. Whang In-Sik was very active at Golden Harvest during this period.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:37 AM, CliveReston said:

A new and awesome spin on a familiar image. Love these, especially the top one with red lettering!

Agreed, there two really striking posters.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 9:37 AM, CliveReston said:

Incredible interview! Canvan's insights are a breath of fresh air. He's really put in the work to understanding Game of Death. Can't wait to see the updated version. @mpm74 do you know if he's planning to share his script treatment? That would make a great Bluray extra!

Not really sure. he's on FB, he usually answers questions! Send him one! ;) 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 3:16 PM, mpm74 said:

Not really sure. he's on FB, he usually answers questions! Send him one! ;) 

He also pops into this forum from time to time.

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
6 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Don't miss COF's review for GAME OF DEATH REDUX, Alan Canvan's "cinematic" adaptation of the 1972 footage Bruce Lee left behind.  

Full Review: https://cityonfire.com/game-of-death-redux-2022-review/

image.jpeg.1b0661ef5705d001f05c96b2b915687c.jpeg

It looks like this will be THE definitive edit. John Barry's score really amplifies the action. I'm eager to see this when it gets released, maybe at last we'll see how it was always meant to be?

• Like 4

On 5/18/2022 at 4:32 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

It looks like this will be THE definitive edit. John Barry's score really amplifies the action. I'm eager to see this when it gets released, maybe at last we'll see how it was always meant to be?

Yes, the score does just that (which is why 1978 GOD always had a place in my heart, even topping Artport and WJ). And Alan edits picture 'n sound tightly. 

On 5/18/2022 at 1:38 AM, PandaPawPaw said:

They keep mentioning restored but restored from what as Artport own the negs.

Correct. It's a restoration off the best possible sources available. Artport most likely used the original negatives to clean up after a successful bukkake. Kidding, kidding... whatever they did with them *poof!*, is far worse ;) 

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 4

CliveReston
On 5/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

That's a wicked poster.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, DragonClaws said:

@mpm74 I've just re-read the whole interview you did with Alan Canvan 10/10, great work.

Appreciate it, man! =) Was it my questions or his answers that made it a legendary interview? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DragonClaws
7 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Appreciate it, man! =) Was it my questions or his answers that made it a legendary interview? 

A combination of both good questions and interesting answer's.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 6:10 PM, mpm74 said:

No hate on John Little and/or whoever worked on the Artport versions, but you can’t tell me they made the best editing choices (good, but not the best). 

When John dubbed Bruce for both GOD and ETD, he sounds like a Donnie Yen imitator.

• Like 1

Unless this footage is found, I don't see the need to keep doing other edits of it as personally I think the footage is kind of boring to being with and has been done to death.

• Like 3