Bruce Lee is back in the upcoming 'Game of Death Redux' (version 2.0)!

mpm74

An updated version of the 'Game of Death Redux', which was released exclusively on Criterion Collection’s 2020 boxed set 'Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits', is in final stages of production by its returning producer, Alan Canvan.

The first release of 'Game of Death Redux' showcased 23 minutes of the 1972-era 'Game of Death' footage that was presented closely the way Bruce intended, while at the same time, keeping in-tact some of the stronger as aspects of the universally panned, pieced together 1978 film (known to fans as 'Game of Death ’78'), such as John Barry’s acclaimed score, as well some of the film’s strong audio design.

More details and the Teaser Trailer: https://cityonfire.com/bruce-lee-new-game-of-death-redux-alan-canvan-version-2-trailer/

1800268677_GameofDeathRedux092321.thumb.jpg.d41e270f6ef563ac4f947d81738aa901.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mpm74 said:

An updated version of the 'Game of Death Redux', which was released exclusively on Criterion Collection’s 2020 boxed set 'Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits', is in final stages of production by its returning producer, Alan Canvan.

The first release of 'Game of Death Redux' showcased 23 minutes of the 1972-era 'Game of Death' footage that was presented closely the way Bruce intended, while at the same time, keeping in-tact some of the stronger as aspects of the universally panned, pieced together 1978 film (known to fans as 'Game of Death ’78'), such as John Barry’s acclaimed score, as well some of the film’s strong audio design.

More details and the Teaser Trailer: https://cityonfire.com/bruce-lee-new-game-of-death-redux-alan-canvan-version-2-trailer/

1800268677_GameofDeathRedux092321.thumb.jpg.d41e270f6ef563ac4f947d81738aa901.jpg

I will check it out when it becomes available,but I’ve said it before,how many different ways can you tell the same story?

Edited by sym8
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, sym8 said:

I will check it out when it becomes available,but I’ve said it before,how many different ways can you tell the same story?

I don't want to cause trouble around here but I did this already. Of course people can not like my version and of course Canvan is free to make his own edit but, I'm sure it will serve a similar function to what I've already done.

Also I don't understand the wisdom in bringing Chris Kent back, he sounded nothing like Bruce Lee in the '78 GOD.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

I don't want to cause trouble around here but I did this already. Of course people can not like my version and of course Canvan is free to make his own edit but, I'm sure it will serve a similar function to what I've already done.

You mean that thing you have up on youtube that rips off 95% of Canvan's edit? Talk about delusional.🤣

Teaser looks fantastic. Love the music choice. The images look sharp and the color is beautiful. Sign me up!!

Edited by CliveReston
  • Like 2

TheKungFuRobber
8 hours ago, CliveReston said:

You mean that thing you have up on youtube that rips off 95% of Canvan's edit? Talk about delusional.

Teaser looks fantastic. Love the music choice. The images look sharp and the color is beautiful. Sign me up!!

Canvan's a cuck. His little fanedit was always a mess, cut together from a blowup of a DVD of Bruce Lee in GOD in which you can still hear the Bruce Lee in GOD music and effects underneath Canvan's ones which are badly mixed to begin with. It's his vanity project to hijack someone else's hard work for a bit of a narcissistic gain which is about fucking typical of people in this day and age. It was already a ripoff long before Ricky ever touched it.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 5

On 9/24/2021 at 8:32 PM, TheKungFuRobber said:

Canvan's a cuck. His little fanedit was always a mess, cut together from a blowup of a DVD of Bruce Lee in GOD in which you can still hear the Bruce Lee in GOD music and effects underneath Canvan's ones which are badly mixed to begin with. It's his vanity project to hijack someone else's hard work for a bit of a narcissistic gain which is about fucking typical of people in this day and age. It was already a ripoff long before Ricky ever touched it.

Clearly, Slate Magaxine, The SF Chrinie and Matthew Polly don't agree. I think I'd take their opinions over no name hacks on a forum that fancy themselves experts.

Canvan's "little fanedit" got him on one of the  greatest  film labels. What companies  have shown interest in the dreck you guys done? Morons begat morons.

Anyone here know how to get in touch with Canvan? Please PM me. Thanks

Edited by CliveReston
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

TheKungFuRobber
On 9/24/2021 at 10:08 PM, CliveReston said:

Clearly, Slate Magaxine, The SF Chrinie and Matthew Polly don't agree. I think I'd take their opinions over no name hacks on a forum that fancy themselves experts.

Canvan's "little fanedit" got him on one of the  greatest  film labels. What companies  have shown interest in the dreck you guys done? Morons begat morons.

better off taking this to /r/kungfucinema m8 if you don't want to hear our opinions.

On 9/24/2021 at 10:08 PM, CliveReston said:

Well, Kung Fu Bob has made hundreds and hundreds of posters on here for companiesr, Well many members here have been trading raresand other memborabillia for almost two decades now perhaps longer  from 35mm prints to hundreds of rare letterboxed tapes, doing custom dub and sub projects yetwe, the forum that has kept the genre alive for nearly 2 decades now are a bunch of hacks whilst some reddit-tier snob magazines and boutique label that compiles his fanedit into his release and seemingly just because Canvan's project ended up on Criterion it makes him immune from any kind of criticism? None of us here call ourselves experts. Not one of us. But you seemed rather hurt by the idea that maybe some people here might have other ideas. Well we're more mature here, we don't have circle jerks or hive mentalities nor do we have a complex of superiority just because we don't appeal to authority that never would have given a shit about Canvan's edit if it wasn't on Criterion.

• Like 5

@CliveReston

I dont mean to start a ruckus but I own the boxset too. The redux is alright, I'm not not going to go bananas over it. I've seen tons and tons of rehashes and fanedits of GoD and its just the same thing over and over. I dont understand why you're attacking people when they have their own opinions as well.

And to be fair, you would trust the word of Slate Magazine and Criterion over diehard fans of the genre? These people have no real knowledge of the genre and its background besides what's up on Wikipedia or on the backs of Fox Bruce Lee VHS covers.

For crying out loud, Criterion had an entire Bruceploitation documentary section on disc 5 or 6 (I dont remember so please dont beat me), and every word of what was said was already stated in Cinema of Vengeance. They even mentioned the mysterious "Bruce Lo" who turned out to be Yasuaki Kurata- who isn't actually an impersonator. Even in the trailers they had the audacity to include a Jim Kelly movie as Bruceploitation- just for the sake of him being in ETD. I'm sorry, but just because someone's backed by a corporation doesn't mean theyre correct. That's just my two cents, I'm not trying to argue or anything. I really didnt want to splatter this man's project but that really needed to be clarified.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, CliveReston said:

You mean that thing you have up on youtube that rips off 95% of Canvan's edit? Talk about delusional.🤣

Aren’t all fanedits ripping off somebody else’s work including Mr Canvans.People should just except them for what they are,good or bad they are just there interpretation.I personally think it’s good people try different things but I feel with regards to GOD without new footage this has been done to death

Edited by sym8
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, sym8 said:

I personally think it’s good people try different things but I feel with regards to GOD without new footage this has been done to death.

I think the teaser  trailer is a great example of reinventing  the material.  Never seen a Bruce Lee trailer  like  that.  Incredibly poetic and beautiful. And, to me, that's what sets Canvan's work apart from the rest.

5 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

@CliveReston

I dont mean to start a ruckus but I own the boxset too. The redux is alright, I'm not not going to go bananas over it. I've seen tons and tons of rehashes and fanedits of GoD and its just the same thing over and over. I dont understand why you're attacking people when they have their own opinions as well.

And to be fair, you would trust the word of Slate Magazine and Criterion over diehard fans of the genre?

I really didnt want to splatter this man's project but that really needed to be clarified.

One, I didn't attack anyone. I merely stated the obvious. Hes delusional if he thinks he did a better color grade and audio.

How are you sure that the reviewers at Slate and SF  Chronicle are not big BL fans? And , let's say they aren't, that actually makes Refux even more of an achievement  as non fans tend to look at Martial arts and Bruce Lee as low brow entertainment.

What about Polly's quote? Is he a not a fan? :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CliveReston said:

One, I didn't attack anyone. I merely stated the obvious. Hes delusional if he thinks he did a better color grade and audio.

How are you sure that the reviewers at Slate and SF  Chronicle are not big BL fans? And , let's say they aren't, that actually makes Refux even more of an achievement  as non fans tend to look at Martial arts and Bruce Lee as low brow entertainment.

What about Polly's quote? Is he a not a fan? :rolleyes:

So you meaning to tell me I'm supposed to assume reviewers automatically know everything? I always assume not. These are the same people who pretend to know every comic book character when they're announced in the MCU or DCEU. I'm not going to put them over a pedestal to other people because they write for some big company. 

And that's the problem as a society. We're told to like things and follow status quo. For instance, back to my comic book analogy, youre told by reviewers to enjoy MCU more than DCEU movies, yet most people cant even tell you what the damn movies were about. Judge for yourself people!

And no one is even saying Polly isnt a fan.

• Like 4

shukocarl1441996347

How many f*****g edits are there of the footage are now? It's become an obsession with some people, keep tinkering, adding this, dropping that. From reading the comments of Alan Cavan I hope this is THE final version!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

sifu iron perm
On 9/24/2021 at 10:39 PM, CliveReston said:

Anyone here know how to get in touch with Canvan? Please PM me. Thanks

i heard he takes mail order brides!

On 9/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

How many f*****g edits are there of the footage are now? It's become an obsession with some people, keep tinkering, adding this, dropping that. From reading the comments of Alan Cavan I hope this is THE final version!

GOD is becoming like  Religion..( wink)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I'm not here to argue, but it seems to me that insults have been written in one of the posts, that's not very kind. Each people can have his/her own opinion...

Back to the topic, I don't have the Criterion box and never watched the Redux version, but looking at the trailer makes me wonder what is in it that is different from the around 40 mn of footage of Bruce's part of Game of Death that is shown in the bonuses of the Hong Kong Legends dvd...

Also, what is the link between a part of the theme of Enter the dragon, and Game of death ? Why include this few notes in a movie that has nothing to do with this theme ?

Sorry if I seem ignorant and too "with a logical spirit" about this matter...:bs_smile:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm not here to argue, but it seems to me that insults have been written in one of the posts, that's not very kind. Each people can have his/her own opinion...

Back to the topic, I don't have the Criterion box and never watched the Redux version, but looking at the trailer makes me wonder what is in it that is different from the around 40 mn of footage of Bruce's part of Game of Death that is shown in the bonuses of the Hong Kong Legends dvd...

Also, what is the link between a part of the theme of Enter the dragon, and Game of death ? Why include this few notes in a movie that has nothing to do with this theme ?

Sorry if I seem ignorant and too "with a logical spirit" about this matter...:bs_smile:

Eh? Theres no ETD theme. Its GOD theme on piano...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CliveReston said:

Shame on me !! I mistook the beginning with the one of Enter the dragon, sorry for the mistake !

• Like 2

Moderation Team

Attention: Name-calling and personal insults will not be tolerated here. Please speak (write) to people as you'd like to be spoken (written) to, with respect and kindness. Opinions are welcome. Judgement and hateful statements are not.

• Like 12
  • Buddha Bless You 2

On 9/25/2021 at 7:01 AM, ShawAngela said:

It's a re-edited/re-scored version of the original 1972 footage, thats closer to how the original version might have looked. The John Barry score adds a different vibe to the footage. There's less extended takes, like you got in the HKL version. Which really draw the sequence out a lot, slowing the pace.

• Like 4

Update: A New Trailer for 2.0 is coming out soon!

Been reading all the comments on this thread. A few thoughts... 

I don’t want to sound biased (I’ve obviously had some communication with Alan), but I think one of the biggest issues I had going in with the original “Criterion” release (other than some its technical audio issues) is that I, like so many others, were expecting “new” GOD footage. 

When ‘Warrior’s Journey’ and ‘Artport’ were originally released, we were all fixated on the new “GOD” footage itself, ignoring the fact that the footage wasn’t “pieced together” by actual filmmakers (or at least by someone who had a grasp at editing with a certain “artistic flow” in mind). No hate on John Little and/or whoever worked on the Artport versions, but you can’t tell me they made the best editing choices (good, but not the best). 

I haven’t seen ‘Warriors Journey’ (or Artport) in a few years, and the last time I saw the original “Criterion” Redux release was around the time it came out. I didn’t hide the fact (posted somewhere on this forum) that I was displeased with it (again, I was expecting new footage, so the lack of any new footage, and its technical audio problems were what left me displeased). Heck, I was one of the guys who bought the Criterion release because of this “Redux” extra, so it was a double whammy (otherwise, I was very happy with my Shout! copies, despite not having the Theatrical "Enter the Dragon" cut).

From my understanding, Alan’s new version (2.0) cleans up some of these issues, and he also fine-tuned it – with some drastically new/different editing techniques – to make it flow better. I also believe some footage was also “cut out” to better the flow. 

I think judging from the Teaser alone, I can tell that he’s able to piece things in an orderly fashion. As far as the finished product, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, mpm74 said:

I think judging from the Teaser alone, I can tell that he’s able to piece things in an orderly fashion. As far as the finished product, we’ll just have to wait and see.

I'm looking forward to hearing Chris Kent's voice work on the new version.

• Like 5

On 9/25/2021 at 5:55 PM, CliveReston said:

I like John Barry's themes, he is a great composer, but for me, the Mandarin theme and opening sequence of Game of Death with Roman Tam singing the song is much more beautiful, and the lyrics fit the spirit of the movie, either Bruce's footage, or the whole "new" movie. There is also a Cantonese opening with another song sung by Roman Tam, but I think that it doesn't fit the movie so well. The Mandarin song is a little bit dark, while the Cantonese song looks like a theme à la Travolta in Saturday night fever, which doesn't fit the spirit of the movie in my opinion...I'll also post the Cantonese song in order that everybody can compare...

• Like 8

On 10/14/2021 at 5:05 PM, mpm74 said:

The NEW TRAILER for 'Game of Death Redux' (2.0) has been released. =) 

Watch it at the link: https://cityonfire.com/bruce-lee-new-game-of-death-redux-alan-canvan-version-2-trailer/

334716823_ScreenShot2021-10-14at1_24_43PM.thumb.png.091292ec8c935539ce3c65818e6496d5.png

Holy $%^&*!! Alrighty then. That's how you effin do a Game of Death trailer! When is this being released??

Edited by CliveReston
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, CliveReston said:

Holy $%^&*!! Alright then. That' s how you  effin do a Game of Death trailer! When is this being released??

Agreed, great editing, and use of dialogue, its an impressive looking trailer.

• Like 4