One More Shot (aka VR Fighter) (2021) Fan Siu Wong

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer
15 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

This looks like it might be going direct to streaming services (I'm not sure though) but it definitely looks entertaining!

At this point straight to streaming is the default for action movies from China (especially anything starring Fan Siu Wong). The business model has gone gang busters, so it’s highly unlikely low-mid budget action movies like these have any chance of seeing a cinema release.

• Like 2

I watched this today and I can confirm that it’s as crazy as the trailer makes out. At an hour and twenty minutes long, it’s an incredibly easy watch and with its tiny budget, it feels like something made in 1999.

The action is VERY enjoyable. The choreography isn’t anything we haven’t seen but the camera work is exciting, frenetic and very modern. There’s even a solid first person fight scene I wasn’t expecting.

I doubt anyone will revisit this one once they’re done but it’s an ultra violent, action packed little film that’s well worth the watch. If you can stomach “cheesy and cheap.”

• Like 5

3 hours ago, udar55 said:

Are the fights as poorly filmed as in the trailer? 

It's a case of "you'll either love it or hate it" when it comes to the action. The camera work is very frantic but not in a shaky cam way. Personally, I enjoyed the action even if the actual choreography was nothing ground breaking.

• Like 3

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm with @Drunken Monk this is actually pretty entertaining.

It has everything you'd expect from a low budget cheesy direct to streaming chinese actioner.

Including but not limited to chinglish dialogue, first generation CGI effects and akward one-liners.

My personaly favourites...

"At least let me die with a hot girl"

"Freeze or I'll bust a cap in your ass, you nerds"

Not to mention the movie seems to be cut together from two different stories.

The beginning is probably my favourite part of all as far as the action goes. It never gets as intense thereafter. Although the finale is saved with a nice one on one fight.

Switch off your brain sit back and be entertained for 80 minutes. Recommended.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:29 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

At this point straight to streaming is the default for action movies from China (especially anything starring Fan Siu Wong). The business model has gone gang busters, so it’s highly unlikely low-mid budget action movies like these have any chance of seeing a cinema release.

Am I correct that Fan Siu Wong's last role in a big budget movie was Kung Fu Jungle? Seems like he's been stuck in chinese streaming hell ever since.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 9/17/2021 at 4:39 AM, Drunken Monk said:

This looks like it might be going direct to streaming services (I'm not sure though)

Proving that miracles do exist, 4Digital Media have picked this up for U.S. and UK distribution, and plan to release it on DVD (yes, a physical media release!) and VOD in October under the title 'VR Fighter'. I checked it out over the weekend and give it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/vr-fighter-aka-one-more-shot-2021-review/

On 10/27/2021 at 9:24 AM, laagi said:

Am I correct that Fan Siu Wong's last role in a big budget movie was Kung Fu Jungle?

Actually that would be 2016's 'Bounty Hunters', but the less said about that the better.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Glad you've enjoyed it as well @One Armed Boxer and thanks for another great review. You seem to be on a roll right now LOL.

Anyway as much as I've enjoyed your review as well as the general positive reaction to it by the fandom, it got me thinking.

Have we reached the point where we have to settle for cheap streaming movies to deliver some good (MA) action? I mean this would've been a dime a dozen back in the day. Now it's more vice versa.

Nevertheless hope more get to watch and more importantly enjoy it!

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
On 7/11/2022 at 3:12 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Proving that miracles do exist, 4Digital Media have picked this up for U.S. and UK distribution, and plan to release it on DVD (yes, a physical media release!) and VOD in October under the title 'VR Fighter'.

Putting out movies as DVD only releases should be a crime. There should always be a Blu Ray.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
16 hours ago, laagi said:

Have we reached the point where we have to settle for cheap streaming movies to deliver some good (MA) action?

I think if we look specifically at China, then for the moment yes.  Ever since the wave of blockbuster 'main melody' movies kicked off in 2014, following Predisent Xi Jinping's mandate to the film industry to make "patriotism the main theme of literary and artistic creation", it's become clear that jingoistic bombast has become the order of the day - 'My Country My Parents', 'Battle At Lake Changjin', 'The Sacrifice' - these are movies we'll continue to see more of in the mainstream. For unpretentious MA flicks that don't need to take the whole jingoism angle quite as seriously, web movies will continue to be the main forum.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:50 AM, DrNgor said:

It certainly looks entertaining, although I can't help but wonder why it seems to be filmed entirely in English.

It appears that it's supposed to be set in the U.S., hence the English. Kind of reminds me of the 90's V-Cinema action flicks from Japan that were filmed in the Philippines, but supposed to be set in the likes of LA or New York.

• Like 2

Like someone mentioned, I'm sure this movie is pieced together from two different scripts/projects. The beginning origin action set piece is the best in terms of gritty action and gun play. It reminded me of a lower budget Firestorm or similar HK action movies of the early to mid 2010s & I didn't mind the rudimentary CGI (RoboCop) sequence as it had a retro/nostalgic vibe to it.

• Like 2

While looking for some news about recent Chinese movies with some martial arts and science fiction elements, I found two Youtube reviews for VR Fighter. Both were recommendations to see the movie, with plenty of film clips and commentary on current Chinese web movies. HK Cinema on Youtube used to have trailers for new Chinese movies, with or without English subtitles. Those have been replaced by English-language commentary/review/film clips for new Chinese movies. Lots of new Chinese movies reviewed are fantasy, like "Nie Yinniang Devastating Assassination" and "Big Dream Journey: Five Elements Mountain". There's hardly anything out of China now with sci-fi and martial arts. 

• Like 1