Prey (formerly known as Skulls) - Predator Prequel: Amber Midthunder (2022)

DragonClaws

Wow, I didn’t even know this was being made. Defiantly interested in seeing what they do with this.

Oh, and that artwork is badass. 

• Like 2

All sequels after Predator 2 (underrated imo) have sucked. It's becoming a norm with this franchise. How about bringing back John McTiernan and Joel Silver atleast? 

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, DiP said:

All sequels after Predator 2 (underrated imo) have all sucked. It's becoming a norm with this franchise. How about bringing back John McTiernan and Joel Silver atleast? 

I'm kind of surprised they haven't brought back Arnold's character in any of the sequels. Was he just not interested or something? 

• Like 3

Arnold declined all three sequels, according to IMDB. For Predator 2, he declined due to salary disputes and schedule conflicts with other movies he worked on at the time (Kindergarten Cop, Total Recall). For the rest, it was simply because he wasn't interested in having cameo appearances.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DiP said:

Arnold declined all three sequels, according to IMDB. For Predator 2, he declined due to salary disputes and schedule conflicts with other movies he worked on at the time (Kindergarten Cop, Total Recall). For the rest, it was simply because he wasn't interested in having cameo appearances.

Man, that sucks. I would of loved to have seen him come back. But, as bad as most of the sequels ended up being, maybe he made the right choice. 

• Like 3

Super Ninja

After a somewhat weak start, Prey gets better later on and by the end turns out to be a more than solid entry in the franchise, one that I'd certainly rate higher than the last two. I'm glad the destiny of this franchise seems to fare better than that of Alien.

Gotta admit I wasn't crazy about the idea of the Predator fighting the Indians as the sound of it was just ridiculous, but Dan Trachtenberg managed to turn this idea into a serious, well directed film that delivers on the action front. After watching the film, it does make sense confronting the badass hunter from outer space to a young Indian warrior who refuses to be just another female of the tribe, gathering herbs and being a healer. It's not only that to Indians hunting is a sort of ritual one has to earn the right to when coming of the right age, it's also that Naru doesn't seem to pose a threat to the relentless alien hunter, or for that point, is taken seriously by her tribe members.

Trachtenberg succeeded at portraying Naru as a seemingly fragile but determined young woman who not only notices the presence of a foreign danger in the woods, but is also willing to track down and hunt the beast, despite for the most time being a prey herself in that game. With enough space given to her character to grow and evolve, later half of the movie is all about action. This is when the fans of Predator will get what they came for.

Exciting and made with more in mind than just the profit, Prey is a prequel well worth the time that exceeded my expectations. If the hinted sequel comes to life, it'll no doubt find a place on my watchlist.

• Like 2

Pretty good movie overall. Definitely better than expected.

I think what really works for its advantage is the entire setting. The beautiful cinematography alone easily elevates it among its predecessors. Something that could've been more appreciated on the big screen. But I guess that's just something we have to get used to nowadays.

That's not to say it's without its flaws. The acting especially from our female lead Amber Midthunder is pretty rough at times. Not straight out terrible but if she didn't have a good supporting cast I'd doubt she could carry the movie by herself. Speaking of which Hollywood sure loves their dogs as of late. So no surprise that Sarii is a bit of scene stealer more than just once. Special mention should be given to Dakota Beavers he's great as Naru's brother.

You also got some mediocre CGI at times but it's never too distracting. However, one of my biggest complaints is the introduction of new "enemies" in the third act. I don't wanna go into spoilers here but their portrayal is almost comically bad.

I'm not familiar with native american culture and tradition but at least to me it felt some care was given to it to be portrayed as accurately as such movie or scenario would allow it.

Unfortunately I didn't feel the same can be said for the aforementioned. I don't know maybe it's just me but it felt off. Probably also because of the language which I happen to speak myself.

Last but not least I can see that haters will just write this off as another beloved franchise exchanging the lead with a "strong female character". And god knows there's plenty out there which attempt do so with the subtlety of a bulldozer. Thankfully the producers of Prey kept it to a bare minimum.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Great film. It feels like a true sequel to the original and offers great characters, wonderful action and all round excellent filmmaking.

I appreciate the pacing and how it builds to something spectacular. Just a good ol’ fashion actioner with some strong dramatic moments.

Personally, I thought Amber Midthunder was a very strong lead. She feels like one to watch.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
13 minutes ago, WangYu said:

I have no hulu available so what are my chances of ever seeing this legally? Zero I guess?

Pretty much.

• Angry 1