New York Ninja (1984) - Lost John Liu Film is Finally Seeing the Light!

udar55

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Mine just arrived. It’s a gorgeous release. Haven’t had time to watch it yet but will do so ASAP…

F9B14B8D-DABC-4EE5-8C20-AF4AE29E637E.jpeg

Very cool, hopefully mine will arrive on Saturday or Monday? delayed somewhere out in Nescopeck PA.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I posted a tweet by Matthew Edwards from 2018 that mentioned that John Liu is living in Vietnam and in poor health. In the extras of the VS NY Ninja blu ray, Brad Henderson from VS is interviewed and confirms that John Liu is indeed still alive and kicking and living on a house boat in Vietnam. Apparently in rather primitive conditions with no electricity and as expected, John wanted nothing to do with the re-release of this movie.

https://www.cinematicvoid.com/post/behind-the-scenes-of-new-york-ninja-an-exclusive-q-a-with-kurtis-brad-of-vinegar-syndrome

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

I cannot possibly construe how crazy this film is. It’s Miami Connection bad…and then some. The dialog, the disconnected scenes, the wardrobe of the gang members… It’s absolutely psychotic. And honestly, I loved every minute of it.

If you’re going into the movies expecting John Liu greatness, please adjust your expectations. If you’re going into this movie expecting John Liu, dressed in full ninja gear, wearing golden roller skates, then you’re going to love it.

The fight choreography is genuinely some of the worst I’ve ever seen and it’s glorious. Each bad guy patiently lines up and waits to be hit by any one of the dozen kicks Liu has in his arsenal. Occasionally they get hit in the face by one of his…powder bombs????

I don’t want to spoil any of the fun for anyone so I won’t reveal the film’s crazier moments but if you want a film you can sit back and laugh at with a couple of friends, definitely buy this. I had a riot with it. Even if it does feel like it’s about 5 hours long.

• Like 7
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@Drunken Monk, pretty much encapsulated my feelings in seeing this movie, so I won't repeat anything that's already been mentioned. I just loved the 80s aesthetics, visuals and look of the movie. The big hair on the ladies, the goofy getups on the baddies, & the electronic/synth score by VOYAG3R. Loved the pop locking street perfomers at the end credits too. Speaking of the end credits, they show John Liu coming soon in LA Ninja...I wish he really made a sequel to this as I can imagine the contrasts between gritty NY Times Square locations versus John Liu being a ninja in Venice Beach or Malibu. On a side note, I wish VS would've made some merch available that is featured in the movie like the retro vintage I ♡ NY NINJA tee shirts and pins. I would've bought a shirt or pin just for novelty sake.

Having watched the deleted scenes, I tend to agree with most of the cuts that were made to streamline the film & get rid of some of the superfluous silly scenes to keep the runtime down but the one scene that I felt they should have left in the film was...

Spoiler

The graphic gang rape scene with XXX star, Sharon Mitchell showing full nudity as the hapless victim.

Kurtis Spieler mentions it didn't fit the tone of the film but I felt a dark, exploitative scene like that would've added rather than detract from the film's grindhouse feel. This film definitely has a lighter tone than some of the other Exterminator/Deathwish revenge flicks of that era due to the clownish nature of the bad guys. So I can understand his decision to cut that scene out but a shocking scene like that would've painted the thugs as more deserving of their final comeuppance.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I wonder why Liu is so reticent to get involved? Is it because of hos experience on this movie. Wonder what he'd say if he was to contribute to an SE of Secret Rivals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

I wonder why Liu is so reticent to get involved? Is it because of hos experience on this movie. Wonder what he'd say if he was to contribute to an SE of Secret Rivals.

Here's another article mentioning it:

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/lifestyle/other/hong-kong-martial-arts-movie-actor-s-lost-1980s-action-film-was-never-completed-until-now-the-story-behind-new-york-ninja/ar-AAQaeK0?li=BBr8Cnr&sfns=mo

Are there any pictures of his ex-wife, Marion Blank and his daughter, Natasha Liu available anywhere? Apparently his daughter had a cameo in Zen Kwan Do Strikes in Paris but i haven't seen that movie in ages to verify if it's true.

I can understand his reticence though. After the conviction in Spain, I'd be hesitant to show my face anywhere and would rather live out my last years in solitude and away from the public eye.

• Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

This is my favorite movie of the year. Kudos to vinegar syndrome,  they did it again!! John Liu was badass in this movie and it also helps he was voiced by Don The Dragon Wilson. I think this movie is on par with Miami connection.  Can vinegar syndrome do some Godfrey ho films? Those movies need that vinegar syndrome treatment. 

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I cannot possibly construe how crazy this film is. It’s Miami Connection bad…and then some. The dialog, the disconnected scenes, the wardrobe of the gang members… It’s absolutely psychotic. And honestly, I loved every minute of it.

If you’re going into the movies expecting John Liu greatness, please adjust your expectations. If you’re going into this movie expecting John Liu, dressed in full ninja gear, wearing golden roller skates, then you’re going to love it.

The fight choreography is genuinely some of the worst I’ve ever seen and it’s glorious. Each bad guy patiently lines up and waits to be hit by any one of the dozen kicks Liu has in his arsenal. Occasionally they get hit in the face by one of his…powder bombs????

I don’t want to spoil any of the fun for anyone so I won’t reveal the film’s crazier moments but if you want a film you can sit back and laugh at with a couple of friends, definitely buy this. I had a riot with it. Even if it does feel like it’s about 5 hours long.

Interesting take, I thought John Liu was his most badass in this movie. Maybe it's the jeans? Or modern setting? When i see him in period films and with the bad dubbing he makes me laugh unintentionally.  

• Like 2

Anyone from the UK received their New York Ninja Blu ray yet? Mine as been stuck in the same Local facility area (which is about 25 minutes drive from where I live since the 4th November i get messages keep saying it will be delivered the next day but never arrives and then messages saying it's delayed then i get a new date and again it never arrives now a new message saying today by 12pm but not holding much hope with this company.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My copy is on the way. I got the notification this morning that it's out for delivery. So I will be watching this one after work tonight! :)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Graysman said:

Anyone from the UK received their New York Ninja Blu ray yet? Mine as been stuck in the same Local facility area (which is about 25 minutes drive from where I live since the 4th November i get messages keep saying it will be delivered the next day but never arrives and then messages saying it's delayed then i get a new date and again it never arrives now a new message saying today by 12pm but not holding much hope with this company.

If you still don't receive it by today, can you drive to the facility and pick it up in person since it's only half an hour away? They allow you to do that here in the States (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL) as long as you have proper ID.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

If you still don't receive it by today, can you drive to the facility and pick it up in person since it's only half an hour away? They allow you to do that here in the States (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL) as long as you have proper ID.

Well i finally manage to get it after i had the last update on my tracking saying it was going to be delivered by 12:00pm today i was clock watching and guess what it never came then the message on the tracking changed to end of day like it did on previous tracking updates a few days ago. So about 12ish today my wife was out taking the dogs for a walk and she see the Fed ex van just up the road near traffic lights and guess what it went past my house Dam i said to myself so i tried to phone Fed ex and explain the situation they basically said they cannot confirm whether it is out for delivery or not to be honest you got to laugh or cry LOL so i said to the wife lets go down there by chance it's only 25 minute drive maybe a bit less anyway to cut a long story short they still had it there which thank God they did else it would be along sorry drive back. Am i happy yes i am everything about it looks phenomenal cannot wait to watch this being a big John liu fan. 

• Like 5

Okay so I finished New York Ninja and I swear, I could be wrong but the character of Rattail, the Drunken Sword master who fights Liu, looks like Brian Seemann, the actor who played the martial arts member of the Wilson Heights Gang in Police Academy 6: City Under Siege. For those wondering whatever happened to this guy, he's a real estate appraiser in Arizona.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Okay so I finished New York Ninja and I swear, I could be wrong but the character of Rattail, the Drunken Sword master who fights Liu, looks like Brian Seemann, the actor who played the martial arts member of the Wilson Heights Gang in Police Academy 6: City Under Siege. For those wondering whatever happened to this guy, he's a real estate appraiser in Arizona.

That doesn't look him though. Rattail had more of an gaunt Elijah Woods look to him but this Brian Seeman facially doesn't have the same semblance. Of course, I could be wrong but from that clip, they don't look alike.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

That doesn't look him though. Rattail had more of an gaunt Elijah Woods look to him but this Brian Seeman facially doesn't have the same semblance. Of course, I could be wrong but from that clip, they don't look alike.

Plus, PA6 was five years after NYN so IDK, when I saw the closeup...it had a bit of a resemblance, but again, don't quote me. I said looks like LOL

• Like 3

After me being insanely hyped for this, being a big John Liu fan, i have to say i was left disappointed.I knew it wasn't going to be a good film and i love 70's/80's crap but i found this one very meh. Poor fight scenes,annoying soundtrack and a stupid baddie. I'll be keeping it and i'm still gobsmacked this one was found but i imagine i'll be spinning Secret Rivals a lot more than this one in the future.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, saltysam said:

After me being insanely hyped for this, being a big John Liu fan, i have to say i was left disappointed.I knew it wasn't going to be a good film and i love 70's/80's crap but i found this one very meh. Poor fight scenes,annoying soundtrack and a stupid baddie. I'll be keeping it and i'm still gobsmacked this one was found but i imagine i'll be spinning Secret Rivals a lot more than this one in the future.

I can understand where you're coming from. I tempered my expectations after reading some of the reviews of from the screener and film festival, so I wasn't as hyped it for it. I went in looking at it as more of a "lost film" novelty and goofy B-movie. I wasn't expecting anything on the level of the Sho Kosugi films or even the Godfrey Ho ninja splice ups. Of course, it doesn't come close to living up to any of the John Liu kung fu films in terms of fight choreo or action scenes. That's why I was puzzled when another poster said it was John Liu's "most bad ass" role!? :BL-IDontKnow: He's a shell of his former self here and even the ninja costume he dons looks like the wardrobe dept procured it from a five and dime store but guess I just enjoyed the 80s vibe and overall tone more than you.

• Like 7

Maybe i just wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it for what it is (tough week at work) hopefully it'll be more to my liking next time round.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Maybe i just wasn't in the right frame of mind to enjoy it for what it is (tough week at work) hopefully it'll be more to my liking next time round.

I think you’re right. I found the novelty truly enchanting when the film started but it got very boring about halfway in and then I had very little to appreciate.

I was wildly invested when it kicked off but I’ll probably never watch it again.

• Like 4