New York Ninja (1984) - Lost John Liu Film is Finally Seeing the Light!

udar55

Get ready for this! A 1984 martial arts film starring John Liu had begun production called New York Ninja. Unedited with no sync sound, it was thought to have long been gone. Well, it is finally seeing the light of day thanks to Vinegar Symdrome. The company has hired actors to dub the voices and kickboxing legend Don "The Dragon" Wilson voices John Liu himself! Other voice actors in this project are Cynthia Rothrock, Linnea Quigley, Matt Mitler, Ginger Lynn Allen, Michael Berryman, Leon Isaac Kennedy and Vince Murdocco

This is the 1st official Vinegar Syndrome Productions film. 

"VSP's initial release slate will kick off with NEW YORK NINJA, a wild action comedy originally directed by and starring John Liu, and produced by legendary New York exploitation producer Arthur Schweitzer. While NINJA was shot entirely on 35mm in 1984, the project was abandoned during production resulting in all original sound materials, scripts and treatments going missing. The rights and unedited original negative were subsequently acquired by Vinegar Syndrome, who have meticulously constructed and completed the film, enlisting the talents of genre film superstars Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Michael Berryman and Cynthia Rothrock to voice the leads. NINJA will receive its world festival premiere this Fall where it will be presented by Vinegar Syndrome's Kurtis Spieler, who spearheaded the project, with additional details on home video and digital distribution to be announced."

NEWYORKNINJA_poster.jpg?v=1630528612

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 9
  • Buddha Bless You 1

24 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Amazing news, hopefully John Liu can be found and can contribute to the release.

If YK Kim can come out of hiding with the re-release of Miami Connection, anything is possible! :) Would be awesome if John Liu comes out to see this come to life!

• Like 7

I began this thread thinking “This can’t be good.” Then I watched the trailer and knew I had to get my hands on this film. It looks utterly insane.

• Like 4

A friend sent me the trailer last night. What can I say except wow and then wow again! I'm preordering asap and I do hope Vinegar includes that poster on their release.

• Like 4

It looks great. Capitalizing on the Death Wish films and the Sho Kosugi Ninja one at the same time.

At 0:44 in the trailer, look it's Elijah Wood!

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

VSP's initial release slate will kick off with NEW YORK NINJA, a wild action comedy originally directed by and starring John Liu, and produced by legendary New York exploitation producer Arthur Schweitzer. While NINJA was shot entirely on 35mm in 1984, the project was abandoned during production resulting in all original sound materials, scripts and treatments going missing. The rights and unedited original negative were subsequently acquired by Vinegar Syndrome, who have meticulously constructed and completed the film, enlisting the talents of genre film superstars Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Michael Berryman and Cynthia Rothrock to voice the leads. NINJA will receive its world festival premiere this Fall where it will be presented by Vinegar Syndrome's Kurtis Spieler, who spearheaded the project, with additional details on home video and digital distribution to be announced.

• Like 2

Think it's going theatrical first so home video next year. John Liu on the streets of New York as a badass ninja in an unseen movie. As a Liu fan i am overjoyed. I'll say again,i hope they find Liu and get him to contribute.

• Like 5

OpiumKungFuCracker

I've bough many of their subscription packages in he past and they never disappoint. One of the most underrated boutique labels on the planet right now. Definitely seeked my interest.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:36 AM, AlbertV said:

If YK Kim can come out of hiding with the re-release of Miami Connection, anything is possible! :) Would be awesome if John Liu comes out to see this come to life!

If New York Ninja is anything like Miami Connection (Fav movie of al time) I'll buy two copies. 

John Liu, bless his heart, has been in some of the most unintentional funniest martial arts movies ever.  Secret Rivals comes to mind, LMAO. 

• Like 6

That’s looks sikk!

Would have preferred to see John Liu unleash some of his signature kicks in the trailer though. 

Vinegar Syndrome need to send out a squad to find John Liu to ensure he plays some part in this release. Like at least an interview about the movie and stories etc. 

Also if Ted Thomas is still alive, get him to dub the main villain to that authentic classic dub feel. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

Also if Ted Thomas is still alive, get him to dub the main villain to that authentic classic dub feel. 

The main villain I believe is being dubbed by horror film icon Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes 1 & 2)

• Like 4

• Administrator
On 9/4/2021 at 1:53 AM, Yihetuan said:

It looks great. Capitalizing on the Death Wish films and the Sho Kosugi Ninja one at the same time.

At 0:44 in the trailer, look it's Elijah Wood!

I thought the exact same thing!

3 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

That’s looks sikk!

Would have preferred to see John Liu unleash some of his signature kicks in the trailer though. 

Vinegar Syndrome need to send out a squad to find John Liu to ensure he plays some part in this release. Like at least an interview about the movie and stories etc. 

All the dubbing was done by genre people like Don"The Dragon" Wilson, Cynthia Rothrock, and...

1 hour ago, AlbertV said:

The main villain I believe is being dubbed by horror film icon Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes 1 & 2)

Yup!

@bigrogie have you seen this news?!

• Like 3

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

Hey bro!

I'd seen the Vinegar Syndrome trailer but don't know when it's supposed to be released.

Cool. You excited?

They haven't announced yet when it will be released, but more info is coming soon.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Cool. You excited?

They haven't announced yet when it will be released, but more info is coming soon.

For sure! John Liu was always among my favorite ones.

• Like 3

• Administrator
1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

@KUNG FU BOB please tell me you're in the movie? I'll buy 3 copies :BL-Laughing:

Sadly, I'm not in the movie. :wink: Though I did spend some time in NYC in the Eighties when this was filmed, and had I been aware of it, I would certainly have attempted to be in it. I do however, have some involvement in this upcoming release. That's all I can say about it for now.

1 hour ago, bigrogie said:

For sure! John Liu was always among my favorite ones.

Yes, I know! Ever since I first found out about this project I've been thinking of you, bro!

• Like 5