The Legend is Born: Ip Man (2010)

HAZ

Mark has a news story on it and it includes a trailer.......so awesome to see Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung mixing it up. It looks to be a great martial art movie!!

Of course I'm a sucker for Yuen Biao so it' nice to see him again in a great fighting role!!

Guest WuxiaFan

I'm really looking forward it! To Yu-hang, who protrays the young Ip Man, really looks like a young Donnie Yen! So, this will work well as a prequel, IMO.

:yociexp111:

Guest Yi-Long
Haven't seen any Ip Man movies...I take it they all come highly regarded?

I haven't watched ALL of them, but the one that was released(!) and which I've seen, is pretty damn good. :wink:

• Administrator
Love to see Yuen Biao face off with Donnie Yen since Donnie has on screen battles with Jackie and Sammo already.

Didn't they fight in CIRCUS KIDS? Been a long, long time since I've seen it. Donnie has a fight with Bey Logan in it!

I think they had a brief fight in CIRCUS KIDS, but Donnie Yen's main fight was with Bey Logan. Shame how the shot and edited that fight scene....didn't make either guy look good!!

Blu ray and dvd release for Legend is Born: Ip Man looks like August 26th in Hong Kong.

The good news is looks like both releases are all region....:xd:

THE LEGEND IS BORN : IP MAN DVD + BLU RAY

I'm lost here... is this movie just sort of a "knock off", in terms of title or popularity of Ip Man (ie Return To A Better Tomorrow). Or is this a legitimate/quality/good movie, with the same production value, only without Donnie Yen?

I was lucky enough to see this in the cinema in hong kong last month & I have to say it was pretty good. I was expecting a cash in on the Donnie Ip Man movies as well but it's a solid effort in it's own right with decent action throughout, plus it's great to see Yuen Biao & Sammo on screen again. I'd give it 7/10 & i'll definitely pick it up on DVD, HMV have a UK release date of 20/09/10 which seems early for a movie only released in HK last month, we normally wait about 2 years.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=224;5;74;-1;2&sku=911213

guys, I've seen part of it and what I can say is WOW! I'm not disappointed at all. Somebody said it was gonna be all lovey dovey, but with the amount of fighting I saw, I am absolutely satisfied. It's definitely way better than ong bak 3, which have very little and sucky fighting.

I can't wait for the DVD so I can share with the family.

I watched it 2nite thought it was ok few good fights,story was abit weak tho,id give it about 6/10 was nice to see Samm and Yuen biao 2gether.

Donnie Yen's Ip Man single handedly started a new wave of Kung Fu craze. While his own take on Ip Man spanned another 3 sequels, I lost track how many prequels, spin offs etc. we've had so far. It's probably save to say that Ip Man and Wing Chun kind of started a life of its own as far as movies go.

Now I think most (or at least the once I watched) outside of Donnie's franchise were pretty supbar and just blatant attempts to cash in on the hype. There are a few exceptions which at least in terms of quality did come close e.g. The Grandmaster & Master Z: Ip Man Legacy.

In 2010 we got one of the earlier ones in the form of The Legend is Born. Including some of Kung Fu's greatest with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao.

Dennis To is doing the honours this time around. For the most part he's making for a likeable leading man. Also I'll say that most of the action is pretty good. Unfortunately the longer the movie progresses the more wirework (not the good kind) is involved which is a bit of a shame. Now that's out of the way, let's talk about the elephant in the room.

The story... is awful. Now I'm the last to look for historical accuracy in a Kung Fu flick, blame me if I do. But this movie takes it on a new level. Claiming to be a "biographical" take on the early life of Ip Man is a joke. Adding to this are laughable japanese villains, annoying female characters and a (unnecessary) romantic subplot you got yourself one mess of a story.

Watch it for some of the action or at least to see Yuen Biao throw down one last time? BTW, Ip Chun has a comeo here as well.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

The Legend is Born: Ip Man - I rewatched this over the past weekend. It's spooky just how much Dennis To looks like a younger Donnie Yen. Beyond that, the action is extremely good (Tony Leung Siu-Hung had worked Sammo on the first Ip Man, but went on to do this while Sammo worked on the more successful, if less-praised sequel). The wing chun demonstrations are a lot of fun and the final duel between Dennis To and Louis Terry Fan Siu-Wong (preceded by Yuen Biao beating up ninjas) trumps the fights from Ip Man 2. The main external conflict is interesting, since it feels like it was invented to capitalize on the "terror babies" conspiracy theory that had poked its head in the States a couple of years earlier.

• Like 2