Midnight (2021) Korean Thriller

laagi

This could be just another run of the mill thriller. God knows there's plenty out there. However what sets this apart are the audiovisual effects. This is largely due to the unique perspective we're given by our protagonist(s).

The story is pretty average actually. Also suffers from a few plot holes here and there. But again all of this is outweighed by the great camera work complimented by a soundtrack that keeps your blood pumping. The movie also has a fair amount of social criticism.

Overall this is one tense ride! If you're a fan of korean thriller I'd say you should check this out. I've enjoyed it.

• Like 6

One Armed Boxer
On 8/31/2021 at 6:09 AM, laagi said:

Overall this is one tense ride! If you're a fan of korean thriller I'd say you should check this out.

This one didn't float my boat as much as it did yours @laagi, I recently got around to checking it out and gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/midnight-2021-review-korean/

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

I'm with @One Armed Boxer. I found this rather generic and boring. The concept is very interesting and it has its moments but, all in all, it just fails to deliver anything all that exciting. 

• Like 3

I also watched this recently and it was pretty awful. The beginning was okay and the deaf protagonist & her mother were interesting at the start but this quickly turned into a farce. The killer was portrayed as a smug sociopath, the police as bumbling & incompetent and the ending attempt at a "twist" was laughable. I wouldn't mind of all these faults if there was genuine suspense and thrills but this movie was severely lacking in both. I would avoid this movie and go watch something like Mike Flanagan's 2016 slasher/crime thriller, Hush if you want to see a cat and mouse thriller with a deaf protagonist.

• Like 3