The Sadness (2021) Winner for Best Debut Feature at Fantasia Festival: Get ready guys!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

@kuenfist am I correct that The Sadness had a limited theatrical run in Germany? Good to see that Germany still has some passion or at least general interest left in Asian productions. Here (CH) the market is barely non existent...

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

Anyone bother to watch the interview with director Rob Jabbaz and the audio commentary? I had to shut it off after ten minutes. Just rambles on and every other word is a filler and also who conducts an interview while chewing gum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One Armed Boxer

I picked up the Raven Banner release of this one and thoroughly enjoyed it, kinda felt like a hark back to early-mid 90's HK Cat III flicks in that the entertainment value is expected to purely be derived from how ludicrous some of the violence is. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-sadness-2021-review-zombie-rob-jabbaz-taiwanese/

On 5/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, Yihetuan said:

Anyone bother to watch the interview with director Rob Jabbaz and the audio commentary? I had to shut it off after ten minutes. Just rambles on and every other word is a filler and also who conducts an interview while chewing gum?

Didn't do the audio commentary, however I did watch the interview and yes, it was a bit of a struggle. Also didn't help that the interviewer was oddly awkward, and seemed to be caught off guard whenever Jabbaz engaged him in conversation outside of the question he was asking.

Don't know if you picked up the error in the Special Features screen, but the audio commentary is listed as being with Job Jabbaz.:tongueout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, laagi said:

Does anybody know if the canadian DC offers any additional content? I compared the runtime and it seems to be the same as the german Blu-Ray.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sadness-Blu-ray/315260/

The only difference is the audio commentary and the interview with the director. The content itself appears to be the same.

18 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I picked up the Raven Banner release of this one and thoroughly enjoyed it, kinda felt like a hark back to early-mid 90's HK Cat III flicks in that the entertainment value is expected to purely be derived from how ludicrous some of the violence is. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-sadness-2021-review-zombie-rob-jabbaz-taiwanese/

Didn't do the audio commentary, however I did watch the interview and yes, it was a bit of a struggle. Also didn't help that the interviewer was oddly awkward, and seemed to be caught off guard whenever Jabbaz engaged him in conversation outside of the question he was asking.

Don't know if you picked up the error in the Special Features screen, but the audio commentary is listed as being with Job Jabbaz.:tongueout

The audio commentary is actually okay. I was pleasantly surprised that Rob doesn't ramble on like he does in the interview. he's actually coherent and on point. The other guy (his Taiwanese buddy) is absolutely useless though. I have no idea why he was even invited?

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
57 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

The other guy (his Taiwanese buddy) is absolutely useless though. I have no idea why he was even invited?

That's the guy who's listed as "director's friend Chiu" or something like that right?

I'd assumed it was Ralf Chiu, the actor who plays the couples neighbour, but of course could be completely wrong.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

That's the guy who's listed as "director's friend Chiu" or something like that right?

I'd assumed it was Ralf Chiu, the actor who plays the couples neighbour, but of course could be completely wrong.

Ok, astute observation. I think that is him. That would explain why he was doing the joint commentary with Jabbaz.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

• Administrator

I was really digging this but my wife suddenly blurted out "I can't watch this anymore!":squigglemouth: It's rare for her to be so upset by a movie that she bails- I think the last time may have been the original MARTYRS way back in 2008- as she loves both horror and crime stuff. But she was 100% done with THE SADNESS by the time they

Spoiler

got off the train and the good Samaritan's nose was bitten off

. I don't have a lot of free time these days, so I like to spend any that I have with her and my son, so I still haven't had a chance to watch the rest by myself. Paul's review on cityonfire.com (https://cityonfire.com/the-sadness-2021-review-zombie-rob-jabbaz-taiwanese/) only made me want to return to it even more.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I was really digging this but my wife suddenly blurted out "I can't watch this anymore!":squigglemouth: It's rare for her to be so upset by a movie that she bails- I think the last time may have been the original MARTYRS way back in 2008- as she loves both horror and crime stuff. But she was 100% done with THE SADNESS by the time they

Hide contents

This is hilarious because that’s the EXACT moment my wife gave up too. She turned to me and said, “I don’t think I can handle this.” I had to agree with her. I doubt she would have made it to the end without being traumatized.

• Haha 4

I watched it alone and while I keep teasing my wife with the movie I doubt she'd have the stomach to sit through the entire affair.

On 8/13/2022 at 9:41 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

But she was 100% done with THE SADNESS by the time they

Reveal hidden contents

Not to mention that this ONE scene was where she drew the line :yociexp100: I mean if you know what's coming it's not even close to a appetizer (pun intended). Some of the most depraved stuff happens inside the hospital. Enjoy! @KUNG FU BOB

• Haha 2