The Sadness (2021) Winner for Best Debut Feature at Fantasia Festival: Get ready guys!!!

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

“There has truly never been a Taiwanese movie like this... Seriously.” – Giddens Ko, Writer/Director of MON MON MON MONSTERS, YOU ARE THE APPLE OF MY EYE “Don't be fooled by its emo title – THE SADNESS breaks ALL the rules and the zombie subgenre will never be the same” – Andrea Subissati, Editor of RUE MORGUE MAGAZINE Fantasia rarely gives trigger warnings, but this film warrants all of them. Proceed with caution. Strap yourself in for the most intense freakout of a transgressive horror rollercoaster to smash through cinemas in ages. In an alternate version of Taiwan, a rapidly spreading pandemic that the government has largely chosen to ignore suddenly mutates into a rabies-like affliction. The infected find themselves unable to control their id, acting on their every primal impulse. Limbs are torn, faces are peeled, everything becomes a weapon – or an orifice – and anything could happen. Anywhere. Everywhere. In the midst of escalating, city-wide ultra-violence, a young couple on opposite sides of town struggle to re-connect. And that’s all you need to know! A nightmare vision steeped in unspeakably upsetting moments of cruelty, THE SADNESS in many ways plays like a return to the assaulting no-holds-barred shock sensibilities of ’90s Hong Kong Category III films. Think RED TO KILL, UNTOLD STORY, and particularly EBOLA SYNDROME, which as it turns out was central to its roots. In fact, director Rob Jabbaz, a Canadian filmmaker based in Taiwan, cites a Fantasia screening of the notorious Herman Yau shocker as a formative experience. “It really felt like anything could happen. This film was not at the mercy of normal standards of decency. Sitting in the cinema, I actually felt in danger.” THE SADNESS captures that sensibility and uses it as a mere starting point, barrelling its audience through set-piece after set-piece that defy description, with a stylistic force of execution that’s just incredible. This is a film electrified with an existential fear of random violence that punches spikes of panic energy straight into your nervous system. All told with imagination and flair, along with stabbing social commentary and mountains of gruesome prosthetic make-ups. – Mitch Davis

https://fantasiafestival.com/en/film/the-sadness

Edited by OpiumKungFuCracker
  • Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker

I've always been a fan and have spread the word of mouth about Taiwanese films and how they make some of the best films ever. I'm getting tired of hearing about Train to Busan and other outbreak movies saying they are the best, whatever. I have faith that this movie is going to kick all their asses, Taiwan baby let's go!! 

• Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
47 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The red band trailer for this is glorious. Can't wait to watch it...

Yeah I saw about 5 secs of it before I had to save myself from spoiling it. I'm gonna see this bad boy fresh as can be. It's gonna be a ghoulish time in the theaters! 

• Like 2

This is playing theatrically in my area starting Oct 8. I haven't been to the theater since Covid but I'm definitely thinking about making a trip to catch this one. This film certainly resonates with me during these times of living in a pandemic.

Just from the trailer and what little I read (didn't read any in depth reviews but merely a synopsis), I'm going in expecting 28 Days Later but much more sadistic & graphic in terms of onscreen sexual violence and gore.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

This is getting a region free German 4K UHD + blu ray release from Capelight in both a limited edition steelbook and digipak.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sadness-4K-Blu-ray/303773/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sadness-4K-Blu-ray/303774/

Hopefully a North American/UK distributor acquires the rights soon for an English friendly release.

• Like 2

I'm still kicking myself for missing this at Beyond Fest. My buddy and I were planning to see this but we waited too long to get tickets only to realize the screening was sold out when I went online to purchase them.

Appears Canadian company, Raven Banner Entertainment in the distributor for North America and the movie is still doing the festival circuit. The latest review came from the Telluride Horror Show Film Festival.

https://www.slashfilm.com/647821/the-sadness-review-one-of-the-most-horrifying-movies-of-any-year-telluride-horror-show-2021/?utm_campaign=clip

I like this review from Grimmfest as it mentions Charles Platt's The Gas. I borrowed the book from my friend who bought the Centipede Press edition that came out earlier this year and it was difficult read at times but utterly fascinating in its depictions of human depravity. I also heard the movie being compared to the ultra-violent graphic novel, Crossed too...if it's anything like those two references, we're in for a real treat!

Screenshot_2021-11-08 The Sadness (哭悲) ( thesadness2021) • Instagram photos and videos.png

• Like 2

So the Capelight 4K UHD + BD and steelbook has been verified to have English subtitles but unfortunately, I read some posts on capelight's FB page that they are encountering some difficulties with the German FSK censors regarding releasing the film uncut and uncensored. Anyone with further info regarding this will be very much appreciated.

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/168565-the_sadness_2021_4k_limited_collectors_edition_4k_uhd_bluray

Good news is the US blu ray release will be announced shortly after the German.

Screenshot_2021-12-19 The Sadness (哭悲) ( thesadness2021) • Instagram photos and videos.png

• Like 3

I'm tired of waiting for a North American release, so I'll probably pick up the German mediabook or steelbook. Raven Banner or whoever releases the US version will probably release it only as dvd and blu ray whereas Capelight will be releasing it as UHD and blu ray. Good news is it will be uncut and have English subs.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I pre-ordered the German steelbook. I'm with you; I just can't wait for this to get a North American release. It may take a while to get to me from Germany but it's worth the buy for sure.

• Like 3

This finally getting a VOD release on Shudder on May 12. I'm not a member but they do offer a free 7 day trial membership.

Screenshot_2022-04-17 The Sadness (哭悲) ( thesadness2022) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

Did the hype died down? I thought after last year it would pick up some steam and this the first time I heard news on it? 

• Like 1

Another unboxing of the German mediabook 4K UHD + blu ray. Interesting that he mentions that a blu ray will be released in Canada sometime next month but this will be blu ray only and not 4K UHD. So still no US release on the horizon.

The Canadian blu ray is up for pre-order at the Raven Banner store.

https://ravenbanner.store/collections/blu-ray-dvds/products/the-sadness-special-collectors-edition-blu-ray?fbclid=IwAR12xinZVnzs3rSH8Gy7MBMz7Q6C5ZGZ4JKUyTZrNAsNj58aZUV4CLQrbYw

It will include the following bonus features:

BONUS FEATURES:

• Exclusive o-card by Ricardo Ferllen
  • Director's commentary
  • Interview with writer/director Rob Jabbaz
  • Behind The Scene Featurettes
  • Film Festival Q&As
  • Trailers

Screenshot_2022-04-18 THE SADNESS - SPECIAL DIRECTOR'S EDITION BLU-RAY - PRE-ORDER(1).png

Screenshot_2022-04-18 THE SADNESS - SPECIAL DIRECTOR'S EDITION BLU-RAY - PRE-ORDER.png

Screenshot_2022-04-18 THE SADNESS - SPECIAL DIRECTOR'S EDITION BLU-RAY - PRE-ORDER.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Did the hype died down? I thought after last year it would pick up some steam and this the first time I heard news on it? 

I don't know just having watched this, not sure what to make of it. As a movie it didn't really do much for me.

In the end it's just a sequence of extreme sadistic and depraved violence with a pinch of social commentary. Paired with some sex and nudity.

A story is barely there and really felt just as a means to an end. Actors are OK although the female lead was quite annoying.

Probably one of those movies you just watch because of it being advertised as "the most violent" zombie movie ever made.

Don't really see a recommendation from my side. At least now I can say I watched it, that's something right?

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

I also watched this about 2 weeks ago as the uncut/uncensored web rip from Amazon Prime Germany has been making the rounds on the usual sites. I enjoyed it more than @laagi but won't elaborate further as not to "spoiler" the movie. I'll just say this is the most graphic, brutal and intense Zombie/Virus genre movie that I've ever seen. Certain scenes left me feeling so tense  that I just had to laugh uncomfortably to put myself at ease.

Spoiler

This movie also had the most brutal death by fire extinguisher scene since Gaspar Nöe's Irreversible.

Edited by Yihetuan
forgot spoiler tags
  • Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker

It's depraved to the extreme. That subway scene was pure insanity, I had to take a break from it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

It's depraved to the extreme. That subway scene was pure insanity, I had to take a break from it. 

LOL you ain't seen nothing yet. Better brace yourself it only gets worse!

• Like 3

Let's talk spoilers @Yihetuan ;) What did you make of the ending? For me there's two scenarios.

Spoiler
  • Kat was not immune an indication for this is her sinister laugh before leaving for the helipad. We here gunfire off scene afterwards.
  • Kat was immune. However, after reaching the helipad the rescue team expecting the virologist assume Kat is infected hence opening fire on her which results in her death. Therefore destroying humanity's last hope for a possible vaccine.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, laagi said:

Let's talk spoilers @Yihetuan ;) What did you make of the ending? For me there's two scenarios.

Hide contents
  • Kat was not immune an indication for this is her sinister laugh before leaving for the helipad. We here gunfire off scene afterwards.
  • Kat was immune. However, after reaching the helipad the rescue team expecting the virologist assume Kat is infected hence opening fire on her which results in her death. Therefore destroying humanity's last hope for a possible vaccine.

I'm going to go with the...

Spoiler

second scenario & I'm glad that Rob Jabbaz left this film on such a grim note. The possibility that Kat held humanity's hope for an anti-viral cure and then she is mercilessly riddled with bullets once the rescue team realizes the Dr. Wong is not the one that opens the door to the helipad is just somber. The fact that Kat bursts out with the sinister laugh at the end after her boyfriend, Jim relays disturbing details on what he would do to her body to me is more a symptom of Kat realizing the the absurdity of the entire situation rather than she was infected with the Alvin virus.

Also, did you try...

Spoiler

to breathe on your phone to unveil the password unlock pattern after Kat did it to the subway worker's phone she borrowed? I tried it but with no results lol...perhaps having a screen protector with oleophobic properties didn't help but I also tried on my gf's phone with no screen protector and it didn't work either.

I really enjoyed the special effects since they were entirely practical in nature with no CGI but was let down by...

Spoiler

the scene during the live emergency press conference where the infected General puts the live hand grenade in the President's mouth and his head explodes like in Scanners. It looked a bit off to me and too comedic...perhaps a limitation of budget here.

• Like 2

I actually thought of a third scenario for the finale...

Spoiler

I thought it strange that once both Kat and Jim found out the viral pandemic was responsible for the catastrophic plague affecting Taiwan that they didn't try to seek out their families. That's the first logical thing one would do in the face of a catastrophe to make sure your family and loved ones are safe. So I assumed they had no one but each other and once Jim was infected, Kat knew that her only lifeline in the world was gone. Therefore, she decided it wasn't worth living anymore and in effect, went out to die by "suicide by cop". She acted deranged and infected once she got up on the helipad and the rescue team blew her away.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I really enjoyed this film. I was expect all out bloody carnage and I got it. I did feel that when they pumped the brakes, it took away from the overlay craziness of the film though. With that said, there was enough sheer insanity to keep me very pleased.

I also go with the second scenario suggested above.

Spoiler

She was immune and they killed their one last hope.

Definitely a fun film to watch with friends. Especially those that are squeamish.

• Like 2

I bought the german UHD Mediabook the day it came out. Nice release but the movie is for someone who saw alot of CAT 3 in the last 30 years and all the horror classics not suprising anymore. There are much better CAT 3 flix when it comes to breaking taboo on screen or horror movies. Ok the first half of the movie are good. But if you are a fan of horror movies there is nothing new. It is a mix of zombie - virus - apocalypse with the crazyness of a Anthony Wong flick. Brutallity, misanthropy and all the ingridience for a shocker are here and maybe if i not have seen the classics i would be suprised. But what should i say about a movie wich is loosing suspense after 45 minutes. Did they lost the ideas to bring the movie to end or did they have not enough money to bring to the screen what they want. I don't know.

For me it was a OK movie but not more. Much hype about nothing. As a old movie fan i must say there are much better horror movies in the topic of social critic and they have the most important thing they have suspense !!! But this is not only the problem with this one, it is the problem with 90 % of the movies today. With all the technical possibilities only a few are still in a position to make a movie with suspense.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kuenfist said:

I bought the german UHD Mediabook the day it came out. Nice release but the movie is for someone who saw alot of CAT 3 in the last 30 years and all the horror classics not suprising anymore. There are much better CAT 3 flix when it comes to breaking taboo on screen or horror movies. Ok the first half of the movie are good. But if you are a fan of horror movies there is nothing new. It is a mix of zombie - virus - apocalypse with the crazyness of a Anthony Wong flick. Brutallity, misanthropy and all the ingridience for a shocker are here and maybe if i not have seen the classics i would be suprised. But what should i say about a movie wich is loosing suspense after 45 minutes. Did they lost the ideas to bring the movie to end or did they have not enough money to bring to the screen what they want. I don't know.

For me it was a OK movie but not more. Much hype about nothing. As a old movie fan i must say there are much better horror movies in the topic of social critic and they have the most important thing they have suspense !!! But this is not only the problem with this one, it is the problem with 90 % of the movies today. With all the technical possibilities only a few are still in a position to make a movie with suspense.

Since you're really not enamored the movie, if you want to get rid of your mediabook, go ahead and send me a PM and I'll buy it off you at a fair price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Since you're really not enamored the movie, if you want to get rid of your mediabook, go ahead and send me a PM and I'll buy it off you at a fair price.

Sorry i am a collector and i have alot of movies i say that there are ok but not super. And like Sadness what was in my opinion not so good as the hype about it i give it a second try half a year later. When the hype gets down it will be much cheaper. It is from Capelight a big company in germany and after a few month most of their titels get sales.

• Like 1