Top 5 Favorite Fight Scenes?

Gevixel

This is too difficult,there are so many great fight sequences one vs one,one vs many,many vs many,just too difficult to narrow it down to five,but here’s some of mine.Police Story Finale,Pedicab Driver,Sammo vs Lau Kar Leung and Finale,Yes Madam finale,Fist of Fury dojo throw down,Warriors two finale.Damn I could go on and on.Most of these for me was because of the physicality on display,but I think I’ve said before this could change tomorrow.👍

Edited by sym8
  • Like 4

*Insert any following 80s Jackie Chan flicks here... haha but seriously

Would probably take me a minute to comprise a definitive list. Id think it would be ever changing for me but I alos think Ive seen the best martial arts cinema has to offer, and were not seeing anything near as amazing these days. 

Police Story 2 playground scene, Police Story 2 restaurant scene, 36 Chambers 2 end fight, Ong Bak 2 end fight, Tower if Death (Game of Death 2 end fight) fight after he crosses the lava stuff

^yes to sequels

not sure what Im missing personally 🤔, but Id be hard pressed to have to replace any of those 

• Like 4

For a long time it was something like:

Drunken Master 2 - Jackie Chan vs. foundry thugs and Ken Lo
Fist of Legend - Jet Li vs. Billy Chow
Yes Madam! - mansion finale
In the Line of Duty IV - the finale: Cynthia Khan vs. Stephen Berwick; Cynthia Khan vs. Cho Wing; Donnie Yen vs. Michael Woods
Black Sheep Affair - Vincent Zhao vs. Andrew Lin

I think in recent years, other fights have vied for a place:

Legend of the Wolf - Donnie Yen vs. Mak Wai-Cheung
Mahjong Dragon - Vincent Zhao vs. Ken Lo
Ip Man - Dojo fight
SPL - Donnie Yen vs. Wu Jing

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Wow good question..

My top 5 (not in order) would be:

1. The alleyway fight from SPL between Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing.  Everything about the fight is just awesome including the haunting background score. 

2. The final fight from Secret Rivals 2. The classic shape fest action mixed with the awesome score from the Big Gundown. Just pure class!

3. Ip Man vs 10 Blackbelts. Who didn’t get goosebumps the first time they watched that fight!?

4. The fight with Mad Dog from The Raid! Wow!!

5. The end fight from Drunken Master 2 - the movie which in my opinion was the last true Jackie Chan classic ever made. 

There you go my top 5. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Ninja Sinai said:

2. The final fight from Secret Rivals 2. The classic shape fest action mixed with the awesome score from the Big Gundown. Just pure class!

Yeah, that is one of my all-time favorite old school movie fights. I love revisiting it!

• Like 5

legendarycurry

Here is my top 3

1. Yuen Biao VS Frankie Chan- The Prodigal Son (1981)

2. Lam Ching Ying VS Frankie Chan- The Prodigal Son (1981)

3. Sammo Hung VS Lau Kar Leung- Pedicab Driver (1989)

• Like 7

Iron Head Rat

Leung Kar Yan Vs All Comers in The Teahouse- Warriors Two (1978)

Lam Ching Ying Vs The Ninjas-Prodigal Son (1981)

Leung Kar Yan Vs Yasuaki Kurata-Legend Of A Fighter (1982)

Honarable Mentions for Jackie Chan Vs Hwang In Sik- Young Master (1980)

& Conan Lee Vs Hiroyuki Sanada-Ninja In The Dragons Den (1982)

• Like 5

legendarycurry
50 minutes ago, Iron Head Rat said:

Leung Kar Yan Vs All Comers in The Teahouse- Warriors Two (1978)

Lam Ching Ying Vs The Ninjas-Prodigal Son (1981)

Leung Kar Yan Vs Yasuaki Kurata-Legend Of A Fighter (1982)

Honarable Mentions for Jackie Chan Vs Hwang In Sik- Young Master (1980)

& Conan Lee Vs Hiroyuki Sanada-Ninja In The Dragons Den (1982)

These are all great choices.

The teahouse battle in Warriors Two is one of the best scenes with Leung Kar Yan ever in my opinion.

I think the fire and attack of the opera troupe is a really underrated aspect of The Prodigal Son.

The fight VS Kurata in LOAF is so great because of the emotional stakes too. Recently saw Kurata in the second Sister Street Fighter and the man is just too cool

The Jackie VS Hwang In Sik fight is one that I seem to enjoy more each time I see it.

The first few times I  I saw it, I still liked it  but it felt too long and very "stop and start".

But each subsequent viewing over the last 20 years since I have come to love both the film and that fight a whole lot more. Today I would put The Young Master as one of Hong Kong Martial arts cinema's genuine classics and that final fight as an excellent achivement for all involved.

Really excited about the 88 films version of The Young Master that I recently bought, cant't wait for it to arrive.

I recently rewatched Ninja In The Dragon's Den and it is so good!

I know you didn't ask for me opinion on any of this, just thought I'd share : D 

• Like 5

Iron Head Rat
On 3/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, legendarycurry said:

These are all great choices.

The teahouse battle in Warriors Two is one of the best scenes with Leung Kar Yan ever in my opinion.

I think the fire and attack of the opera troupe is a really underrated aspect of The Prodigal Son.

The fight VS Kurata in LOAF is so great because of the emotional stakes too. Recently saw Kurata in the second Sister Street Fighter and the man is just too cool

The Jackie VS Hwang In Sik fight is one that I seem to enjoy more each time I see it.

The first few times I  I saw it, I still liked it  but it felt too long and very "stop and start".

But each subsequent viewing over the last 20 years since I have come to love both the film and that fight a whole lot more. Today I would put The Young Master as one of Hong Kong Martial arts cinema's genuine classics and that final fight as an excellent achivement for all involved.

Really excited about the 88 films version of The Young Master that I recently bought, cant't wait for it to arrive.

I recently rewatched Ninja In The Dragon's Den and it is so good!

I know you didn't ask for me opinion on any of this, just thought I'd share : D 

No no, excellent opinions & thoughts legendarycurry :monk_toasting:

• Like 3

Final fight of Queen Boxer

Final fight of Blooded Treasury Fight

The fight between Tan Tao Liang and Chi Kuan Chun in Showdown at the Cotton Mill

The fight at the big buklding between Jackie Chan an the killers in Who am I

The final fight of The Duel

And as many of you said here, there are a lot more and I could change my choices as I watch movies...For instance, in the above list, I could have name the dojo fights in Bruce Lee's Fists of fury, or in Jet Li's Fist of Legend, or in Angela Mao's When Tae Kwon Do stikes (or is it Hap Ki Do ? I don't remember !)

• Like 5

On 10/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, sym8 said:

This is too difficult

This.

I could give you an answer now but a day (or hour) later it would change. There is way way too many choices to choose from & I would struggle to even do a top 20.

A top 5 (or 10) in style or by director or by actor/actress or genre or time period would be more manageable.

• Like 3

thundered mantis

Master Killers finale

Master Strikes finale

Lion vs Lion Wang Lung Wei vs Chin Yuet Shan and the Sharon Yeung

The Master (Shaw Bros) finale

Donnie vs Wu Jing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, thundered mantis said:

Lion vs Lion Wang Lung Wei vs Chin Yuet Shan and the Sharon Yeung

As much heat as this movie gets, it has some of the most wicked fight scenes in a Shaw Bros flick. Not one bad fight scene (if you don't count the last 5 minutes of that... encounter)

• Like 5

Going by decade starting with the 1970s and ending with the 2010s...

- Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris (The Way of the Dragon)

- Sammo Hung vs Billy Chow (Pedicab Driver)

- Jackie Chan vs Ken Lo (Drunken Master 2)

- Donnie Yen vs Collin Chou (Flash Point)

- Donnie Yen vs Andy On (The Lost Bladesman)

Edited by DiP
  • Like 6

Let's say these are my top 5 that I happen to be thinking about right now.

-battle royale at the end of Five Deadly Venoms
More than makes up for the fact the movie only has 3 fights. Instead of getting a bunch of filler fights, we get 10 minutes of some of the best choreography ever dumped on us at the very end. 

-Jimmy Wang Yu vs. everyone in One-Armed Boxer
In the middle of the movie, the fight where he eventually loses and (not really spoilers) gets his arm lopped off. Just putting this in here to include a basher and not just have all shapes picks, and I like how hard some of the punches look. It genuinely looks like Wang Yu was just punching some of these guys in the face in real life with cameras rolling.

-Mystery of Chess Boxing final fight
Shapesiest fight that ever shaped. Looks more like a dance-off than a fight, but I like it.

-Jet Li and his sifu vs. Qing guy at the end of Martial Arts of Shaolin (1986)
I don't really have a lot to say about this, it just feels like an underrated fight scene. I like the mainland scenery here, too.

-Thundering Mantis (Beardy vs. mooks and eagle's claw guy at the end)

Funny enough, the first thing I thought watching this is that it felt like a Venoms fight. (The location, some of the leaning-in-from-offscreen wire stuff, how fast and technical it is without being particularly undercranked, etc.) Then I did some research and realized it was choreographed by one of the guys who worked on Five Venoms. Well alright then. Amazing fight. Incredibly long, and a nice mix of everything you want and maybe didn't know you want in a fight scene: striking, headbutts, grappling, acrobatics, environmental damage, incredible over-acting, broken bones, torn throats, cannibalism...

Edited by SDJ
  • Like 1

Mine change all the time. This is how I am feeling today:

Finale - Warriors Two

Finale - The Victim 

Finale - 8 Diagram  Pole Fighter 

Bruce VS Guards - Enter the Dragon 

Finale - Broken Oath

Tomorrow it will be Different. Too many to choose from.

I have to say, the extraordinarily brutal fight that Chen Kuan Tai has in the finale of The Boxer from Shantung still awes me every time I think about it.

DarthKato

Here are my top five at the moment: 

5- Second Fight at the Ice Factory in The Big Boss- This is when we finally see the full extent of Cheng's(Bruce Lee) fighting ability. Sure, he gives a sample of it earlier when his amulet gets ripped off, but this is when he finally unleashes, and it is glorious. He stabs, punches, and kicks his way through over a dozen guys, even knocking one guy right through a wall!  

4- Rama vs The Machete Gang in Raid: The Redemption- The movie was already great, but this fight put it over the top and onto my favorite movies list. It's fast, its brutal, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. At points, you really start to worry if this guy is going to live or not.

3-Final Fights of Shadow Ninja- here is why I love this fight. Our Main guy (It's been a while and I couldn't find the movie on IMDB to check names) is doing good to start with. He is beating the crap out of the bad guy, but then gets some crazy chained handcuffs attached to his arm. He still wins but is now helpless. So, when the other baddy shows up and starts trying to kill his friend, he cannot really do anything. When the friend is finally killed, he proceeds to tie the chain around a tree and kicks the tree hard enough that he rips his hand out of the cuff! That is honestly one of the most badass things I have ever seen.

(Couldn't find a video on YouTube that would work on here. But if you find it, go to 1:23:07 and watch it to the end)

2- Ip Man vs The Ten Black Belts- I love everything about this fight. Donnie is all like "I Want to fight ten guys" and the other dude is like " Da Fuck? Okay then.". Donnie then proceeds to beat all their asses in the most brutal, spectacular ways possible. 

1- The Final Fight of Police Story- Like a person said in the comments section that I read, when I went to rewatch this, its easily one of the greatest action scenes of all time. The moves are fast and brutal, with Jackie showing some real rage in this. He is pissed and he wants the bad guys to know it. The stunts are insane: People thrown though glass left and right, people are hurled down escalators, and it all leads up to Jackie jumping to a pole and sliding down it as bulbs burst around him! This ending never fails to amaze and entertain me. 

• Like 1

ShawAngela

Bruce Lee's dojo fight in Fist of fury

Jet Li's fight against Billy Chow in Fist of legend

Angela Mao's dojo fight in When taekwondo strikes (or maybe it's in Hapkido, I don't remember)

Any of David Chiang's fights in Vengeance

Any of Wang Yu's fights in Furious slaughter

5 aren't enough...

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez Vs Jackie Chan in Wheels on Meals.

Benny doing the roundhouse and blowing out the candles is probably one of the coolest things ever! It's quite a hard hitting fight and they must of been real sore afterwards!

Bruce Lee Vs Chuck Norris - Way of the Dragon.

I liked how it was more realistic than Lee's other fights and Norris was a great opponent. The colosseum setting was cool too.

Donnie Yen Vs Collin Chou - Flashpoint.

The MMA style submissions and takedowns was cool to see and I have no idea how either of them survived that! Some of those scenes look brutal as fuck! I also love Donnie's punches.

Saori Izawa Vs Masanori Mimoto - Baby Assassins.

I just love this style of fighting with the quick escapes and near misses. It all feels so tight and snug. Saori Izawa is pretty damn cool!

Nighttime Village Attack - Kung Fu Hustle.

I love how creative it is. The musical instrument being used as a weapon and summoning attacks is so awesome! KFH as a whole is tops!

• Like 2

At the moment:

Drunken Master 2 - Finale

Fist of Legend - Jet Li vs Billy Chow

SPL - Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing

The Raid 2 - Iko Uwais vs Cecep Arif Rahman

Seven Steps of Kung Fu - Ricky Cheng and Chia Kai vs Chen Shan