"Fatal Contact" new Wu Jing flick! (trailer)

Guest monk sante

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ToothbrushFu

The trailer that showed mostly the fight stuff (and maybe too much of it, hope they didn't show everything) was pretty impressive. Hopefully the story will be good as well, it would be annoying if Wu Jing finally scored a lead role in gritty modern actioner and the film as a whole didn't live up to his fighting skills.

Guest Yakuza954

I wonder why they changed the name of the movie from Underground Fist to Fatal Contact, since Underground Fist fits the movie better. Anyway, just saw the movie (without subs), and the fighting is pretty good. Better than Dragon Tiger Gate and City of Violence, with Wu Jing really getting to show his stuff. The movie is basically made up of a bunch of underground kickboxing matches, and all the fights are really solid, and Wu Jing mixes it up with some other fighting styles (even used praying mantis in one). I think people will really enjoy the action in this one, it's Ong-Bak inspired, but with the distinctive HK flare to it. The best fight in the movie is about 3/4's through with a guy with white highlights in his hair, I think it was Andy On.. it's the fight with the sick exchange at the end of the music video.

The dissapointing news though is that the movie lacks a big final fight, and Wu Jing lacks a real tough opponent. All the bad guys are either worse than him or have to resort to gimmicks to try to win. You also get the impression that too much time was spent on comedy with Timmy Hung's character (who fights pretty decently when given the chance) and Wu Jing's romance with another girl. The movie is also obviously low budget, I noticed a lot of amateurish abrupt cuts, the kind where instead of moving fluidly from one scene to the next, the screen just fades awkwardly black. But overall the movie was a pleasant surprise, it completely came out of left field and was a nice throwback to older HK choreography. This was the kind of action people were expecting who were dissapointed with other recent martial arts movies. I can't grade the plot well because I saw it without subs, but 4.5/5 for the action.

Guest jmungus

thx for summin that up for us. sounds credible, u really make it sound like youre doing the movie perfect justice lol.

can anybody verify the release date of the hk dvd being some time in DECEMBER ?? (thats what i heard).

I wanna add a few words.

First of all, it’s not a pure MA/action film. It’s a romantic drama with a few short fights sprinkled throughout.

Wu Jing does a decent job playing a naïve good guy, but I think that a villainous role would suit him better.

After introduction scene, where he displays his skills with weapons, we have to wait around 20 min to get to his first fight. After that we’re treated to 4 or 5 fights( very short, around a min each) and then, around ¾ mark there’s the longest fight( Andy On). The last half hour has only one fight (against Xing Yu). After the fight the movie drags on for another 10 min.

Obviously, Wu Jing dominates in every fight, he’s a pleasure to watch. Besides Tony Jaa, he’s the only Asian martial artist who can deliver the goods.

The most surprising thing about the movie is fight choreography. It’s fresh, innovative, very distinctive, with a close-range handwork, use of knees and elbows( sometimes very “OngBak-ishâ€, but not a carbon copy. The use of praying mantis was very good. It’s rarely used in modern action flicks (I can only remember Angry ranger and Magic Crystal).

I think they used wires for some aerial kicks, but it’s hard to tell, it’s so subtle. I actually liked the fact that Wu jing’s character was a stronger fighter than his opponents, ‘cause it gave him the opportunity to show his skills and perform some great “finishing†moves. I actually went “WHOA!†a few times. Also, the fights a very fast

Overall, VERY enjoyable fights. I can’t praise them enough. To me, it’s the best fights of 2006. Fearless had great fights with weapons, but hand-to-hand combat was ruined( for me, anyway) by wirework. City of Violence had decent fights, but they lacked that HK flavor and there was something about them that left me dissatisfied. DTG completely sucked. So, to me, Fatal Contact is the winner. I mean the fights only, the movie as a whole is far from being great. The only thing I can kinda complain is the fact that the fighters were wearing gloves, so it wasn’t like a bare-knuckle fights of classic kung-fu flicks

You also get the impression that too much time was spent on comedy with Timmy Hung's character

Did you mean Ronald Cheng actually?

. The movie is also obviously low budget, I noticed a lot of amateurish abrupt cuts, the kind where instead of moving fluidly from one scene to the next, the screen just fades awkwardly black.

While this isn't a big budget flick, I believe you're watching the Mainland cut which is heavily edited by Mainland censors and has some missing scenes and a different ending from the HK version.

luckystars, what pm? I don't check ezboard pms.

Fatal Contack HK DVD should be out by end of November, as all HK films usually get released on DVD within 2 months after they're out in theatres.

Guest Yakuza954

It probably was Ronald Cheng, I was just going by headshots from the actors on hkcinemagic. Anyway I can't wait for the HK dvd with subs and the longer cut. I had forgotten that Mainland releases were prone to cutting, they pulled the same thing with SPL.

Looking at the Yesasia website it looks like the Hong Kong DVD release date for Fatal Contact is 22nd December 2006. Definitely ordering this film!!:D

Archived