Sweet Girl (2021)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

This one hit Netflix on Friday, which sees Jason Momoa and his daughter taking on shady assassins sent from a big pharmaceutical company, after an affordable treatment that could have saved his wife suffering from cancer is pulled off the market. Check out my review over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/sweet-girl-2021-review/

large_sweet-girl-poster.jpeg.9c2cb34077bf294522fd23683a0b800c.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks for the review @One Armed Boxer and I do feel your pain. Here's my thoughts (moved from What ELSE... topic).

I got a soft spot for Jason Momoa and the trailer did at least suggest a somewhat decent revenge flick.

The movie starts of pretty good to be honest. Setting up a foundation for things to come. Unfortunately after those initial 20 minutes it's just all downhill. You never understand the motivation behind the action of our lead characters (Momoa & Merced) or not to mention that the story literally goes missing. Even if the movie tries to fill in the gaps with a short 5 minutes explanatory conversation (god I hate those) towards the end. It's nothing short of a mess!

The action is okay but you can't help but wonder how the hell our average joe just seeminlgy takes out bad guys. How or why he got this particular set of skills (pun intended) is never explained. Yeah I mean Momoa is a big guy and he's shown working out at a boxing gym at the beginning of the movie... still. It doesn't help either that the "big twist" towards the end make matters even worse when it comes to the aformentioned. I'm sorry but there's only so much disbelief I can suspend.

What appears on paper as a pretty straight forward tale of revenge ends up being anything but you're average revenge flick and in this case it's definitely not a good thing! Love Momoa but this movie stinks.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4