RIP Sonny Chiba

Ronin

RIP Mr. Chiba. Your films brought me great joy. I felt you still had a good 10-20 more years left on this earth. Pneumonia and covid-19 are the devil.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

A true legend,what a sad loss not only to his family and friends but also to the people that loved his work.RIP Mr Streetfighter

Edited by sym8
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

danthemandmv

Chiba - san was one of my idols , & this has hit me pretty hard . He & Bruce Lee are tied for my all -time favorites , in fact . Rest In Peace , Sensei .

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Tragic news, RIP. I've got a DVD of Fukusaku's Triple Cross with Chiba sitting on my shelf for years now, I'm watching it tonight.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

A French newspaper on the internet announced this so sad loss just one hour ago.

As some of you know here, I'm more into Chinese movies than in Japanese movies, but I have watched the Streetfighter, Sister streetfighter, The power of Aïkido, Shogun's samouraï +Ninja +shadow, The bushido blade, 13 steps maki, and I have The legend of the 8 samouraï, Dragon princess(I don' t remember if I watched it) and The Yagyu Conspiracy, and I enjoyed all the movies I saw him in. He was a true legend.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

RIP Sensei Chiba. One of my heores is gone. Remember the time when i saw his Streetfighter movies on LD in the 90's. And later with the upcoming of DVD his works he did with Kinji Fukasaku. He was so much more than a martial arts movie star. He was a real japanese movie star and he can play every role from drama to comedy. He had such a apperance when he was on screen no matter how much actors where beside him ... the focus was on the character he was playing.

Some movies to come to my mind:

Doberman Cop, Bullet Train, the Abashiri Bangai-chi films with him, Yakuza Deka films and his Karate flix's....

Thank you for all the great time of entertaining .....

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

ZenkaigerBat
3 hours ago, danthemandmv said:

Chiba - san was one of my idols , & this has hit me pretty hard . He & Bruce Lee are tied for my all -time favorites , in fact . Rest In Peace , Sensei .

He was one of mine too, It's sad that he's passed away now. He was one of the older guards left in the world.  There will never be another Sonny Chiba as much as there will be another Bruce Lee in the world. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Really sad news. One of the absolute legends of martial arts cinema of all time. I loved his Karate, Samurai and Ninja movies & TV shows. R.I.P. Master.

Edited by edher_M.A.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

WarriorBloodCrest
13 hours ago, Takuma said:

Absolutely terrible news. Chiba is my favourite actor of all time. I've seen more than 150 of his films. He was much more than just a karate film star, an endlessly inspiring actor who would make almost any film better with his sheer energy. A lot of his work from the 60s as well as TV work (including the incredible Yaguy Clan Conspiracy series which is even better than the Fukasaku film) is waiting to be discovered.

I was lucky enough to meet him in Cinema Vera's 24 film Chiba retrospective back in 2014. He was energetic like a little boy, and at the same time modest and very grateful to fans. I got to ask him a question about Soul of Chiba (though he ended up asking me several questions in return), and later take a photo with him. But the nicest part was when Chiba was leaving the site and I was loitering in the corridor, he stopped by me to shake my hand and say “thank you for attending”. It only took 10 seconds of his time, but it was a really nice thing of him to do. Most big stars wouldn't have stopped.

Chiba with his friend and Toei colleague Ken Takakura
chiba.jpg

What was the question you asked him, if you remember? That said, RIP Tsurugi.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I’m sorry to hear that we have lost yet another legend. I hope he rests well knowing that he brought a lot of joy to so many people. RIP Mr Chiba. You will be missed.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Really sad to hear this yesterday.

One of the true giants of action cinema and absolutely one of my favourite actors.

Watching True Romance in the early 90's first introduced me to him through Christian Slater / Clarance's passionate recommendation of the Street Fighter movies, which I fell in love with when i finally saw.

Then over the ensuing years was able to enjoy his work with Kinji Fukasaku and finally track down his incredible TV show

Kage No Gundan ( where he first played Hittori Hanzo) Always so intensely watchable and likeable. He was a powerhouse of an actor, working just as hard off camera to help the next generation of action stars get their start.

He was truly as incredible a martial artist and choreographer as he was an actor.

He will be sorely, sorely missed.

If he encounters God,

God will be cut.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

This just shows the range of acting...his scene in Kill Bill, where he meshes comedy and then seriousness was one of the film's highlights. I still love when he yells at Keiji Ohba to shut up and get his ass out there!

Now I have to track this down. This is an American martial arts drama Sonny starred in alongside his son Mackenyu Arata.

• Like 6

ZenkaigerBat

R.I.P Sonny Chiba!

I was first exposed to Sonny Chiba thru True Romance. I later saw the Street Fighter flim's becoming a fan of his work.    I collected alot of his flims since then mostly on DVD.

Damn you covid for taking the legend like Sonny Chiba away!

I watched all three of the Street Fighter flims from shout Factory blu-ray.  His death really hit me  but it reminded me even the number 1 man isn't invincible  against covid.

original.gif

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• Administrator
On 8/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Karlos said:

https://www.cbr.com/sonny-chiba-obituary/

We have lost a true legend.

Absolutely heartbroken to read this.

Was so honored to meet him in 2018, along with my brother @KUNG FU BOB and his awesome son.

Such happy memories.

Rest well, Chiba-San. Your place in the martial arts pantheon is more than assured. 

I couldn't even respond to this yesterday. The news was kind of crushing. :sad:

Likely most everyone here knows what Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba means to me and how much I love his films. He and his films were not only tremendous entertainment for me, but also a very big inspiration to my training and ideas about martial arts and perseverance. His were the first films that I collected, and in the pre-internet days I would drive around with my friends on the weekends, crossing state lines, visiting every video store I could find in search of more Chiba films. These hunts became adventures in their own right, and we encountered many strange and interesting people and situations.

I'm grateful that along with my son and brother @Karlos I got to meet the man, shake his hand, and tell him how much he meant to me. The fact that he was extremely excited when he saw my artwork of him is something I will never forget (described to me in ecstatic detail by a kind customer of mine that bought two poster copies of my THE STREET FIGHTER art, one to get signed for himself, and one for me).

Being asked to create the cover art for Chiba's THE STREET FIGHTER film collection for Shout! Factory is one of my career highlights, a thrill, and a huge honor. The original and RETURN OF THE STREET FIGHTER are among the films I've re-watched the most in my life, never tiring of them.

Last night my wife and I watched a bunch of classic scenes from his films, and despite being bittersweet, they were still as exciting as ever.

Either @gorhama or I (neither of us can remember which) invented something that our friends and family use as an inspirational saying of encouragement which means, like Chiba-san or a Sonny Chiba character, despite overwhelming odds beyond that which a mere mortal could handle, rise up and keep on fighting and stay strong in spirit. When I heard the news yesterday I had to tell it to myself... "Chiba up!"

On 8/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, Takuma said:

Absolutely terrible news. Chiba is my favourite actor of all time. I've seen more than 150 of his films. He was much more than just a karate film star, an endlessly inspiring actor who would make almost any film better with his sheer energy. A lot of his work from the 60s as well as TV work (including the incredible Yaguy Clan Conspiracy series which is even better than the Fukasaku film) is waiting to be discovered.

I was lucky enough to meet him in Cinema Vera's 24 film Chiba retrospective back in 2014. He was energetic like a little boy, and at the same time modest and very grateful to fans. I got to ask him a question about Soul of Chiba (though he ended up asking me several questions in return), and later take a photo with him. But the nicest part was when Chiba was leaving the site and I was loitering in the corridor, he stopped by me to shake my hand and say “thank you for attending”. It only took 10 seconds of his time, but it was a really nice thing of him to do. Most big stars wouldn't have stopped.

Chiba with his friend and Toei colleague Ken Takakura
chiba.jpg

Thanks for sharing that @Takuma. Beautiful.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, Takuma said:

Yes, he did. Pneumonia caused by COVID. He had been hospitalized since Aug. 8.

It's all over the internet. Should be on TV tomorrow. The news only broke around 10 pm local time.

Here's the national broadcaster NHK's article:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20210819/k10013213051000.html

Here's a Google translation of the above article that @Takuma linked:

Actor Sonny Chiba dies 82 years old Pneumonia due to new corona infection

August 20, 2021 11:48

Sonny Chiba, an actor known for his bold actions and active in movies and TV dramas, died at a hospital in Chiba prefecture on the evening of the 19th due to pneumonia caused by infection with the new coronavirus. He was 82 years old.

Born in Fukuoka City, Chiba made his debut in 1960 as the main character of a special effects hero program on TV, aiming to become an actor after studying gymnastics at university. He has established himself as an action actor by performing stunts himself in TV dramas and movies. After that, he expanded his field of activity to rituals and historical dramas, and in the NHK Taiga drama "Furin Kazan" broadcasted in 2007, he has a heavy role as Nobukata Itagaki, the parent and senior vassal of Shingen Takeda. He showed you the acting.

In addition, Mr. Chiba has been active overseas under the nickname of "Sonny Chiba", and in the movie "Kill Bill" directed by Quentin Tarantino released in 2003, he not only appeared but also instructed the action. I did. He also worked to train younger generations, and many actors such as Hiroyuki Sanada and Shinichi Tsutsumi learned at the action actor training school established by Mr. Chiba. According to the management company, Mr. Chiba was confirmed to be infected with the new coronavirus earlier this month and was treated at home. After that, he was hospitalized from the 8th because his symptoms worsened, but on the evening of the 19th, he was treated. He died of pneumonia at a hospital in Chiba prefecture. He was 82 years old. It means that he did not inoculate the vaccine at his own will.

Some say, "I don't think it's a thing" or "Even a trained person will die."

We spoke about actor Sonny Chiba in front of Shinbashi station in Tokyo about his death from pneumonia caused by infection with the new coronavirus. A man in his 50s said, "I've been watching Chiba-san's work since the time of the starring" Sengoku Self-Defense Force. " I'm really sad to hear that he died as a leading figure. " A woman in her 50s said, "Speaking of Mr. Chiba, I remember the TV drama" Key Hunter. "I was very surprised to hear that even a person who trained as an action actor would die from the new corona. I thought I had to put it on. " A series of memorial comments from family members and people with whom I had a close relationship

Following the death of Mr. Chiba, we have received a series of memorial comments from family members and people with whom he had close relationships. Juri Manase, the eldest daughter and actor, made a comment through her office and said, "I received a report and rushed after work, but I couldn't attend at the end ... But I saw his face and said goodbye. I was able to say what I wanted to say. He had a calm face that I couldn't believe he was suffering from. " She added, "I just heard my dad's cheerful voice on the phone a while ago. It's sudden for me, and I still don't feel it. I'm just disappointed ... I believe my parents are watching over me from heaven. I would like to live as hard as I can so that I can do a job that shows my heart. I hope that you will continue to love the work that my father left behind. "

In addition, actor Hiroyuki Sanada, who studied at the action actor training school established by Mr. Chiba, also announced a comment, "I have learned various things since I was a child actor. Above all, I have a dream. I know that it is important to inherit the ambition and continue to run. Thank you very much. Good night in peace. Gassho. "

Born in 1939, from Fukuoka prefecture. In 1959, passed the 6th Toei New Face and became an actor. The following year, he made his debut as the second generation of the TV drama "New Seven Color Mask", Ran Kotaro, and was in the limelight. The movie debut starred in "Keishicho Monogatari Absence Proof" and then "Wandering Detective Red Valley Tragedy" and became a hot topic in stunts without dubbing. In 1991, he made his Hollywood debut in the movie "Aces". In the TV drama, he starred in "Key Hunter" in 1968 and performed super action, which became popular. In 1969, he formed the actor training center JAC. At NHK, he starred in the Toshio Kamata series "Crossroads" and appeared in "Terakoya Yume Shinan" and the taiga drama "Furin Kazan".

Anyway, Shinichi Chiba will continue to live in our hearts and film collections forever. Please join me in a chant...

"Viva, Chiba! Viva, CHIBA!! VIVA, CHIBA!!!"

FAREWELL CHIBA.jpg

• Like 11
  • Buddha Bless You 4

C54F46EB-6FDB-401D-B367-AA1ECEBBA4E4.jpeg.3751205c1f419df5505f8c4943273fb6.jpeg

Cheers Chiba-San, I’ll join for a JD tonight. Star of my favourite movie. 
Time for me to get the Kage No Gundan & Yagyu Jubei TV Series watched as I’ve heard they are all bloody great too! 

• Like 5

On 8/20/2021 at 1:12 PM, WarriorBloodCrest said:

What was the question you asked him, if you remember? That said, RIP Tsurugi.

I meant to ask him why did they filmed Soul of Chiba in Thailand, but Chiba was so surprised that A) there was a foreigner in the audience, and B ) someone actually knew that film, that it turned into a conversation about me and how to see that film. He did give a basic intro to the film (I think most people in the audience had never seen it since it hasn't been available in Japan since the VHS days) but I think we forgot about the main question, lol.

• Like 7