RIP Sonny Chiba

Ronin

This hecka sucks!

He was the symbol of Japanese karate/martial arts cinema (outside of jidai-geki). What a great career and a great man!

RIP.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

odioustrident

This is hitting harder than similar bad news for some reason. He looked and sounded great at his 2018 Chiller Theater appearance in NJ. It really feels like end of an era even though the era is long gone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Absolutely terrible news. Chiba is my favourite actor of all time. I've seen more than 150 of his films. He was much more than just a karate film star, an endlessly inspiring actor who would make almost any film better with his sheer energy. A lot of his work from the 60s as well as TV work (including the incredible Yaguy Clan Conspiracy series which is even better than the Fukasaku film) is waiting to be discovered.

I was lucky enough to meet him in Cinema Vera's 24 film Chiba retrospective back in 2014. He was energetic like a little boy, and at the same time modest and very grateful to fans. I got to ask him a question about Soul of Chiba (though he ended up asking me several questions in return), and later take a photo with him. But the nicest part was when Chiba was leaving the site and I was loitering in the corridor, he stopped by me to shake my hand and say “thank you for attending”. It only took 10 seconds of his time, but it was a really nice thing of him to do. Most big stars wouldn't have stopped.

Chiba with his friend and Toei colleague Ken Takakura
chiba.jpg

Edited by Takuma
  • Like 11
  • Sad 3
  • Buddha Bless You 2

ZenkaigerBat

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sonny-chiba-martial-arts-legend-143909260.html

I'm sadden to hear that Shinichi Sonny Chiba has passed away from Covid Complications.  Being a  huge fan of his work this sadden's me.   Being exposed to the Street Fighter flims since i was a kid made me a fan of his work that i ended up getting alot of his flims on DVD.

R.I.P to the Number one man!

1d7a8df4e78880526a180a8ac0a800de--street-fighter-movie-cult-movies.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

RIP to one of the goats of Cinema and I mean that! He was the face of Saturday morning kung fu showcase on tv growing up and who can forget his role in Kill Bill that made him even more mainstream. Long Live Chiba!!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Just yesterday I heard about the passing of British comedian Sean Locke aged 58, and now this sad news. Mr Chiba opened my eyes to Japanese Martial Arts cinema, and Ill never forget watching the Street Fighter trilogy back to back for the first time. He should have been given a part in the John Wick movies, I know Keanu Reeves has always been a big fan/supporter of his work.

I once went to see a Hip Hop/Breakdance performance of Romeo & Juliet. The theatre company were from New York, and they used clips from Sonny Chiba movies and the Venoms film in the performance. I was still fresh to the genre, and I didnt know who Chiba was. Despite being aware of the Venoms movies. When I asked one of the cast who it was, they told me alll about him and advised me to purchase his movies.

R.I.P Sonny Chiba

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

6 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Very sad news ! Did I understand well the first post ? Did he die from the covid ?

Yes, it was complications due to COVID.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

4 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Very sad news ! Did I understand well the first post ? Did he die from the covid ?

Yes, he did. Pneumonia caused by COVID. He had been hospitalized since Aug. 8.

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

For those members living in Japan (like @Takuma), what is the media coverage like for this great tragedy?

It's all over the internet. Should be on TV tomorrow. The news only broke around 10 pm local time.

Here's the national broadcaster NHK's article:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20210819/k10013213051000.html

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1