Jackie Chan Stunt Team

sym8

Question

I think it’s fair to say Jackie would have final say on the fight sequences/stunts done by him and his team but how much of an input do you think the other members have in terms of what would look good or maybe try this instead of this etc etc.Was the clock tower all his idea or the chase through the shanty town in Police Story?Did he come up with the Playground fight or did someone else suggest it?

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

In one interview, Jackie said: "Before I choreograph the fighting, I write down all the tempos — because our fighting is so long — then music. When the music comes up, you just keep punching, keep kicking. And then, “ah, yeah” — it’s not violent anymore."

In the Jeff Yang book, Jackie is quoted as saying: "I think of different props I want to use, and my stuntmen suggest different fighting stunts to incorporate. We'll stand and brainstorm around the location, trying out different techniques."

When talking about the Karate Kid remake, Jackie said: "My stunt co-coordinator, Wu Gang, and my stunt team help choreograph the fight scenes in the film. I give my inputs to make sure each fight looks better and more powerful."

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

In one interview, Jackie said: "Before I choreograph the fighting, I write down all the tempos — because our fighting is so long — then music. When the music comes up, you just keep punching, keep kicking. And then, “ah, yeah” — it’s not violent anymore."

In the Jeff Yang book, Jackie is quoted as saying: "I think of different props I want to use, and my stuntmen suggest different fighting stunts to incorporate. We'll stand and brainstorm around the location, trying out different techniques."

When talking about the Karate Kid remake, Jackie said: "My stunt co-coordinator, Wu Gang, and my stunt team help choreograph the fight scenes in the film. I give my inputs to make sure each fight looks better and more powerful."

I guess it was/is a group effort.With his recent output though I’m not so sure he is to interested in the choreography anymore.Age gets us all eventually and I think it shows in the stuff he’s doing.

• Like 3