The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

sifu iron perm
37 minutes ago, DiP said:

Is Lopez clout-chasing, or is he for real? 🤷‍♂️

I think he eants out of his deal /contract ? lets see in few weeks. 

• Like 1

legendarycurry

Just wanted to say I am disappointed this thread is not about how to properly create packages for gifts, or putting things in boxes for shipping in a way that they don't beak.

• Haha 3

sifu iron perm
34 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

Just wanted to say I am disappointed this thread is not about how to properly create packages for gifts, or putting things in boxes for shipping in a way that they don't beak.

• Haha 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

6 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

I didn't get the reference at first but now I got it. :laugh

12 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

You can never take "post fight" retirement talk seriously when it comes to boxers.

Very true... Look at Manny Pacquiao's current status. He's announced that he would retire after his loss to Yordenis Ugas in August of 2021. He's now training hard for his upcoming fight against UK's Conor Benn.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

39 minutes ago, DiP said:

Very true... Look at Manny Pacquiao's current status. He's announced that he would retire after his loss to Yordenis Ugas in August of 2021. He's now training hard for his upcoming fight against UK's Conor Benn.

It should be Pac fighting Nigel Benn in an exhibition bout! I feel sad in a way that Pac still wants to fight at 45 but I understand it's hard to hang them up when you've had so much success & that's what you've been doing most of your adult life. Pac with his experience can exploit Benn's weak points.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

It should be Pac fighting Nigel Benn in an exhibition bout! I feel sad in a way that Pac still wants to fight at 45 but I understand it's hard to hang them up when you've had so much success & that's what you've been doing most of your adult life. Pac with his experience can exploit Benn's weak points.

I always thought Manny coming back to pro boxing was because of his loss in money due to the Philippine elections last year, and losing a court case recently which he had to pay for.

Whatever the case is, one thing about Manny is that he's passionate about boxing to the point that he can't let it go, like you said. However, if he decides to leave boxing for good, regardless of winning or losing the upcoming fight, I think he would do great as a boxing coach. He can always take notes from Freddie Roach about succeeding in boxing training up-and-coming Pinoy talents.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DiP said:

I always thought Manny coming back to pro boxing was because of his loss in money due to the Philippine elections last year, and losing a court case recently which he had to pay for.

Whatever the case is, one thing about Manny is that he's passionate about boxing to the point that he can't let it go, like you said. However, if he decides to leave boxing for good, regardless of winning or losing the upcoming fight, I think he would do great as a boxing coach. He can always take notes from Freddie Roach about succeeding in boxing training up-and-coming Pinoy talents.

If he needs the money, just go the Mayweather route and fight a bunch of stiffs like this past weekend against John Gotti III. I'm sure he can rake as much as Mayweather if he fought exhibition matches. Pac is highly sought after in Japan and he would make a killing fighting on Rizin cards on NYE.

• Like 2

Donaire once again trying to be the oldest bantamweight titlist (beating his own record) as he takes on Mexican Alexandro Santiago on July 15 on Showtime. Unless Donaire has completely fallen off a cliff skill wise, I think he should have no problem with Santiago who is decent but nothing special. I saw Santiago against Jerwin Ancajas and nothing stood out about him to me and I don't rate Ancajas that highly to begin with either. @DiP any thoughts?

• Like 1

I think Donaire can still pull it off due to his overall ring generalship and IQ. He may have come off a loss in his last fight but that was against a young, hungry elite P4P fighter. Let's see what happens so best of luck to him.

• Like 2

The hype of this weekend is Jaron Ennis Vs Roiman Villa. Watched the highlights and very impressed by Ennis' performance. Now's the time for him to face tough competition though so I hope PBC gives him better names from here on.

https://fb.watch/lGhJuCScj-/

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

3 hours ago, DiP said:

The hype of this weekend is Jaron Ennis Vs Roiman Villa. Watched the highlights and very impressed by Ennis' performance. Now's the time for him to face tough competition though so I hope PBC gives him better names from here on.

I was switching to watch the Luis Nery vs Sniper Saludar fight in TJ and it went as to be expected. Saludar was completely over matched from the start. Is the Pinoy boxing community one of the most delusional in the sport? They always bring up Casimero saying he would've beaten Nery easily but everyone in the division is running from him because they're scared. :rofl

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DiP said:

you're right about Boots. he has one of the most padded records in boxing. Hasn't fought anyone and already 31 fights into his career. Don't get me twisted, he is talented and does pass the eye test but so does Virgil Ortiz and he's fought better competition. I favor Ortiz over Boots any day of the week.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 7/9/2023 at 4:26 PM, Yihetuan said:

Is the Pinoy boxing community one of the most delusional in the sport? They always bring up Casimero saying he would've beaten Nery easily but everyone in the division is running from him because they're scared. :rofl

Yes, the local Pinoy (most overseas Pinoy boxing fans are open-minded and unbiased in comparison from my experience) boxing community is indeed delusional and biased. People are quick to brag and hype about Pinoy boxers winning with sheer heart and brawly offense, but also are quick to change verbal energy once these Pinoy boxers loses making endless excuses like cherry-picking the best moments overseeing everything else, saying that they got robbed (Pinoys still overstating that Magsayo got robbed against Vargas and Figueroa 🤦‍♂️), and even saying that they aren't even good to begin with 😂

As far as current Pinoy boxers goes, no one has been as impressive to me as Mark Anthony Barriga, in that he is a defensive southpaw utilizing the Philly shell style to good effect (he's called the Pinoy version of Floyd Mayweather). However, he lost his two biggest fights against Carlos Licona (some people say it was a robbery) and, most recently, Jonathan Gonzalez. In addition, he turned 30 last month so I'm not sure if he still has the hunger and will to keep his career going so let's see where he goes from here. Overall, I think Pinoy boxing has declined since Manny Pacquiao's rise and dominance. I'm still keeping my eyes on Nonito Donaire (hoping to see him get some good wins before he rides into the sunset) as well as looking out for the likes of Mark Magsayo, Marlon Tapales, and middleweight boxer Eumir Marcial as the Philippines maintains a huge talent pool of up-and-comers.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

you're right about Boots. he has one of the most padded records in boxing. Hasn't fought anyone and already 31 fights into his career. Don't get me twisted, he is talented and does pass the eye test but so does Virgil Ortiz and he's fought better competition. I favor Ortiz over Boots any day of the week.

Very true. I blame PBC for that, they keep saving the best matchups for later which is not how it should be done. Money dictates boxing (or everything for that matter), sadly.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@DiP what's surprising is how quickly they turn on their own once they lose. I remember how quickly they turned on Genesis Servania. I think the same for Suganob too. I hope those young prospects and talent pool make some noise in the coming years because other than Japan, I don't see many other up and coming boxers coming from the region. It's Japan and the Central Asian republics dominating at the moment.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@DiP what's surprising is how quickly they turn on their own once they lose. I remember how quickly they turned on Genesis Servania. I think the same for Suganob too. I hope those young prospects and talent pool make some noise in the coming years because other than Japan, I don't see many other up and coming boxers coming from the region. It's Japan and the Central Asian republics dominating at the moment.

Concur. Every boxing community has to its' toxic supporters but I think Pinoy fans have got to be among the top ones. 

Yeah, hopefully we will see some great prospects emerge in the SE Asian region (Thailand and Indonesian boxing used get attention too) as I am not seeing anyone remarkable at the moment. There has to be some special individuals out there.

• Like 2

So the Donaire vs Santiago fight which was supposed to happen this weekend has been moved to the undercard of the Spence vs Crawford triple header PPV at the end of the month. Really excited to see if Donaire can become champ yet again.

Just a reminder that the Inoue vs Fulton fight that was postponed back in May is happening in 2 weeks. So we got a couple really excellent fights coming up within a span of 4 days from the 25th to the 29th.

• Like 2