The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

wow! It's early but just might have a FOTY candidate with the Azat Hovhannisyan vs Luis Nery clash.

Spoiler

Felt the ref should've let Crazy A go out on his shield though considering the pace of the fight and what had transpired all night.

It was a bit anti-climatic with the stoppage but nothing like the Lara vs Leigh Wood fight where his own corner throws in the towel.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Anyone catch the Magsayo vs Figueroa fight?

Spoiler

I agree that the scorecards were far too wide even with the 2 point deductions for holding and not indicative of how close the fight was until the later rounds when Magsayo started to fatigue and Figs turned it on the final 2 rounds. But I'm thinking Figs' style is just awkward and he's blessed with a chin and great conditioning with high volume punch output to make it a tough fight to score regardless of his opponent.

Screenshot_2023-03-04 SHOWTIME Boxing ( ShowtimeBoxing) Twitter.jpg

• Like 2

Figueroa Vs Magsayo was mostly one-sided, with Figueroa doing all the pressure and aggression. Things picked up at round 8 when Magsayo raised his punching rate and made things interesting. However, Figueroa adjusted and continued dominating. I counted at least two knockdowns for Figueroa, all non-counted for some reason.

Magsayo should work on his biggest flaws which was and is still there: Stamina and endurance. Against technical fighters, it won't matter much but the likes of Ceja and Figueroa, both pressure fighters, is exactly the reason Magsayo gasses out quickly, and therefore backfires and hinders his aggression and speed from prevailing. The result is too much holding and survival mode which is not exciting to watch.

I hear Magsayo wants to move up to 130, with a potential fight against Leo Santa Cruz already being brought up. This is where he should really work hard to push his limits and improve his imperfections. So all the best to him in his next fight.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I think Magsayo is a low ceiling fighter. That's about the most you can expect out of him. I think his career will be as a gatekeeper for the division. I don't know any Filipino boxers that can be considered "world champion" material now? Perhaps, Astrolabio or Quadro Alas if he ever gets his camp together?

Did you see this KO on the Nunez vs Ceyja undercard of the Fierro/Estela fight on Dazn? Sheesh!

https://streamable.com/ennwak

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Like father, like son...

Spoiler

is Tim Tszyu on his way to becoming unified champion like his father Kostya? What a beating he delivered in the 9th round of his fight with Harrison. Looks like Jermel Charlo who he was supposed to fight early in the year but was nixed due to injury is back on after this performance. My only concern for Tszyu is his high guard, he still lets opponents just jab him at will.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yet another crazy robbery in boxing during last night's Benavidez vs Plant under card where

Spoiler

Valenzuela absolutely got robbed against Chris Colbert. Even Jim Gray had to say it was a "terrible decision." The main event went how I thought it would with Bendavidez wearing out Plant towards the second half of the fight and thought Plant was ready to go several times. It's hard for me to root for a loudmouth like Benavidez especially his actions leading up to the fight. His crew including his brother still acting like a bunch of teenagers.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

Anthony Joshua come back bout didin't look good, he was too stagnant and slow! He cant adjust and picked up the pace a bit too late. 

Came in heavy and it showed, his jab was like telegraph shots, he is Food for top 5 HW's including Joe Joyce.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Anthony Joshua come back bout didin't look good, he was too stagnant and slow! He cant adjust and picked up the pace a bit too late. 

Came in heavy and it showed, his jab was like telegraph shots, he is Food for top 5 HW's including Joe Joyce.

After coming in heavy this wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.AJ looked decent on the odd occasion but it’s plain to see he’s just too afraid to get clipped,Fair play to Franklin though,he can take a shot.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

I'm actually looking forward to the Joyce vs Zhang fight. I know Joyce will be the odds on favorite to win but Zhang has heavy hands and can catch Joyce earlier to make it interesting.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

22 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

m actually looking forward to the Joyce vs Zhang fight. I know Joyce will be the odds on favorite to win but Zhang has heavy hands and can catch Joyce earlier to make it interesting.

I think Iron Mike and Earnie Shavers could land on Joyce at the same time and he would still just shrug it off like nothing👊🤜😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/7/2023 at 8:02 PM, DiP said:

There's currently one Filipino world champion with a belt... Melvin Jerusalem.

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/696222

There was another one crowned tonight...

Spoiler

wow! I did not expect Marlon Tapales to beat MJ even if it was by split decision. So that puts Tapales as the one waiting in the wings for the winner of Fulton vs Inoue in July to possibly unify the belts.

One of the more exciting slugfests was the Kenshiro Teraji vs Anthony Olascuaga fight for the two belts. Got to give credit to Anthony for taking the fight on short notice too.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 5:51 AM, Yihetuan said:

There was another one crowned tonight...

Reveal hidden contents

wow! I did not expect Marlon Tapales to beat MJ even if it was by split decision. So that puts Tapales as the one waiting in the wings for the winner of Fulton vs Inoue in July to possibly unify the belts.

Marlon Tapales is now calling out Naoya Inoue. 

I watched highlights of Tapales Vs Akhmadaliev and I must say that I'm impressed with Tapales' overall boxing abilities and defense. Not as fast and sharp as Magsayo, and not as powerful as Casimero but far more experienced and technical than both. If Inoue Vs Tapales happens, it will be Tapales biggest fight and one that he should focus on 100% in training and improving. At this point, Inoue is too much for Tapales.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, sym8 said:

I think Iron Mike and Earnie Shavers could land on Joyce at the same time and he would still just shrug it off like nothing👊🤜😀

I was using a VPN and watching the BT Sports feed of the fight & it was laughable..

Spoiler

that the British commentary had Joyce up on all scoreboards before the fight was stopped. Even two judges had Juggernaut winning the fight which was ridiculous because while Joyce was more active, his pitter patter punches were doing NO damage to Zhang and Zhang was blocking the majority with his arms. The fight was rightfully stopped even though I'm not a fan of that particular referee because Joyce's eyes were fooked up and he was risking permanent damage. Joyce didn't even protest when it was stopped. In the post-fight interview, he said that Zhang's right was lighting him up all night when it was clearly his left!

12 hours ago, DiP said:

Marlon Tapales is now calling out Naoya Inoue. 

I watched highlights of Tapales Vs Akhmadaliev and I must say that I'm impressed with Tapales' overall boxing abilities and defense. Not as fast and sharp as Magsayo, and not as powerful as Casimero but far more experienced and technical than both. If Inoue Vs Tapales happens, it will be Tapales biggest fight and one that he should focus on 100% in training and improving. At this point, Inoue is too much for Tapales.

Your last sentence said it all. Monster will run through Tapales very easily. Not as easily as he did Desmarinas but I doubt Tapales will last more than 6 or 7 rounds before he gets KOed. I say that because at least Tapales will engage and fight Inoue and not turtle up and go into survival mode like Paul Butler.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

was using a VPN and watching the BT Sports feed of the fight & it was laughable..

I watched it with no sound,Joyce for me won one round,but god it was awful,he was so slow and no punch variation.Every punch was the same speed(slow)and he seemed to lack power.Credit to Zhang but the heavyweights of this era are piss poor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sym8 said:

I watched it with no sound,Joyce for me won one round,but god it was awful,he was so slow and no punch variation.Every punch was the same speed(slow)and he seemed to lack power.Credit to Zhang but the heavyweights of this era are piss poor.

I thought he looked liked he always looked and that is punching like his arms are dipped in molasses, robotic style, no defense other than relying on his granite chin to weather the storm early. I never bought into the Joe Joyce hype but I agree with you that the HW division is piss poor.

Teddy Atlas said it best on the ESPN+ feed that it's hard to find 6' 6" 280 lb southpaws to spar with in the gym to get ready for Zhang but Joyce especially in the early rounds looked like he didn't even train to face a lefty. It's weird (or maybe not so weird) since Ismael Salas even said that Joyce starts slow and that Big Bang will test him early and knew what the gameplan was for Zhang's corner. Salas was a friggin' trainer of the year award winner for his work with Ugas & Joyce but seems he doesn't he fare well against lefties of late. Ugas got worked by the straight left of Spence just like this fight where Joyce got worked by the same punch.

I will say that Joyce is very likeable and it's refreshing to see fighters that don't go full braggadoccio and thug mode when they are interviewed pre & post fight. It was telling in the post-fight interview that Joyce even politely shut down his mother when she tried to bring up the DuBois eye injury. Joyce is obviously a good dude outside the ring & wish him the best. But a broken orbital at this stage in his career can't be good for his future prospects.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 8:02 PM, DiP said:

There's currently one Filipino world champion with a belt... Melvin Jerusalem.

https://boxrec.com/en/box-pro/696222

I finally got around to watching the fight and man, did Taniguchi do the stanky leg and then the fish flop. After Taniguchi knocked out Gomez, I thought he would give Melvin a beating due to Melvin's padded record against uber drivers and Melvin came in a huge underdog much like Zhang. Props to Melvin for blasting Taniguchi outta there with that wicked right down the pipe.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ironfistedmonk

It sure was an interesting strategy from Joyce to block all of Zhangs shots with his face, he is usually a slow starter but eventually overwhelms his opponent but Saturday he looked slow and sluggish, I found his lack of head movement so frustrating but maybe he couldn't see the punches coming with the eye damage?

Anyway much better fights coming up this weekend, who you guys got in the main events?

I think Tank stops Garcia but I'm hoping for the opposite result, and I think Cordina wins on points

• Like 1

LOL at Tank threatening Bernard Hopkins at the weigh-in. Something is off about Davis and he really needs some type of mental help because he seems unhinged. Threatening Garcia's family and stuff is weak sauce & now going after Hopkins.

Anyway, not really a fan of either fighter but thought Ryan came with a plan by...

Spoiler

working his jab and using distance against the counter punching Davis but that 2nd round knockdown seemed to rattle him and the well placed liver shot did him in and he quit. I'm sure the rehydration clause didn't help either. Props to Garcia for not making excuses and accepting it like a man.

https://dubz.gg/video/a7f37c

The Cordina vs Rakhimov was a banger too. Nery vs Crazy A was my early FOTY candidate but it was sloppy compared to this match. The level of skill here was more pronounced compared to just two guys slobberknocking each other.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I'm not a fan of either as well but I've always thought King Ryan was no match for Tank Davis. Long before negotiations underwent for their fight, and just watching their previous highlights in comparison. At least he gets my respect for making the fight happen, but that's all.

Spoiler

The L he just took is something he deserves

from all the nonsense trash-talking on social media, and backing out from challenges of top tier names he calls out himself that he has done for so long. :rofl 

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

I see Joe Joyce exercised his immediate rematch clause vs Zhang. All that talk about an interim fight before he fights Zhang again went out the window once he found out Fury and Zhang might be lined up for July. It's a no brainer for Joyce to exercise his option since he might be possible get some step aside money from Arum to allow the Fury vs Zhang title fight.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

@DiP, another chance for a pinoy to capture a belt this Saturday as Vincent Astrolabio faces off against Jason Moloney for the WBO bantamweight belt. It's the co-event of the janibek vs Butler main feature and airs on ESPN.

• Like 1

I just got reminded about this, thanks.

We shall see. Maloney looks to have made some major improvements since he was KO:ed by Inoue, he looks more technical and with better ring IQ. Astrolabio on the other hand seems like your typical Filipino brawler/pressure fighter with a good chin and powerful punches but lacking in speed, technicality, and boxing IQ (if he hasn't switched to different coaches by now).

This should be interesting. However, I'm picking Maloney for the win by UD or maybe TKO stoppage during the late rounds. Maloney has a history of knocking out some Filipino fighters. His last Pinoy opponent was Aston Palicte which was last year, Maloney took him out in good fashion in only three rounds.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1