The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

Good judging and the decision was right. That being said, I was so frustrated at Mark Magsayo's offensive strategy. His habit of trying to get inside fighting, his counters, and his forward-jump punches (that end up hitting the air), and his damn headlock drags with the arm (they were intentional too)... He both succeeds and fails, but here it cost him so many points against Vargas' technicality as well as height and reach advantages. No gameplan and no adjustments. Also, he didn't throw hands more this time which was disappointing considering that Vargas backed off a bit with the offense once he got knocked down in round 9. That was Magsayo's biggest chance of capitalizing his volume punching on Vargas. Magsayo's speed and greatly improved stamina were evident but didn't use them to great effect for the utilization of his overall boxing arsenal. I'm still fan though so I hope to see him improve further in the future.

Nevertheless, what a great fight! Magsayo had all the best power shots while Vargas' punch rate was insane. I too would not mind a rematch.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

There's currently a controvery going on with Manny Pacquiao concerning his 2000 fight with retired Australian boxer Nedal "Skinny" Hussein. The guy who refereed the fight, Carlos Padilla (now retired and 88 years of age), came out and admitted that he prolonged the count after Pacquiao got knocked down by Hussein in the 4th round. Not only that but Padilla also claims that he stopped the fight and gave Pacquiao the win due to a cut under Hussein's right eye that Padilla classified as a result of a punch from Pacquiao when it was from a headbutt.

Hussein has nothing but huge respect for Pacquiao and is a big fan. They even got in touch through famous Filipina reporter Jessica Soho and wouldn't mind an exhibition fight with each other in the future. However, Hussein still feels cheated and solely blames Padilla for the decision of the fight.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Nothing new in the sport of boxing. Unfortunately, corruption and unfair judging are part and parcel to the sport. I haven't watched much boxing lately but I did catch the trilogy between Estrada & Chocolatito. It was like the other two, just back and forth and a razor close decision. He's already calling for a fourth fight/immediate rematch with Roman or move up and face the Monster. I would love to see that fight if Inoue decides to stay at Bantam and not move up to face Fulton or MJ at 122.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2022/12/juan-estrada-wants-naoya-inoue-or-fourth-fight-against-chocolatito-gonzalez/

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 1:38 AM, sifu iron perm said:

Monster vs Butler next Tuesday. 

Butler was supposed to face Naoya Inoue's rival John Riel Casimero earlier this year but it was cancelled. If Inoue Vs Casimero happens, Inoue stops him. Butler should be easy work for Inoue.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, DiP said:

Butler was supposed to face Naoya Inoue's rival John Riel Casimero earlier this year but it was cancelled. If Inoue Vs Casimero happens, Inoue stops him. Butler should be easy work for Inoue.

Casimero is on some doping schenanigans, then again who isnt these days?

Butler should be easy work for The Monster , no doubt!

• Like 3

Looks like negotiations for Naoya Inoue facing Stephen Fulton is under way. Word is that Fulton was supposed to set up a rematch with Brandon Figueroa but now that Inoue is in the way, Fulton has leaned his interest toward facing Inoue. That gives way for Figueroa to instead face none other than Mark Magsayo (I became a fan after the Ceja fight). That's two good match-ups!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DiP said:

Looks like negotiations for Naoya Inoue facing Stephen Fulton is under way. Word is that Fulton was supposed to set up a rematch with Brandon Figueroa but now that Inoue is in the way, Fulton has leaned his interest toward facing Inoue. That gives way for Figueroa to instead face none other than Mark Magsayo (I became a fan after the Ceja fight). That's two good match-ups!

I really hope this fight happens. it would have to be FOTY unless Usyk vs Fury happens. Cool Boy Steph is slick has the reach & speed advantage but he has no power and can be hit as shown in the Figueroa fight where he was going caveman on Fulton and connecting. I think Inoue eventually gets to him with the body shots and walks him down and finishes him. I actually think Inoue's toughest test is the powerful southpaw MJ not Fulton. Inoue is going into deep waters in his first fight in the new weightclass. I wish he would've taken a fight with Nery or Aleem first but guess him and his team are confident.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, sifu iron perm said:

Casimero is on some doping schenanigans, then again who isnt these days?

Butler should be easy work for The Monster , no doubt!

That fight was awful with Butler basically turtling and shelling up with the high guard for 11 rounds. Even when Inoue was baiting him with the Roy jones, Butler didn't want to let his hands go or engage Inoue in anyway. It was just survival mode to the detriment of fight fans. I would have more respect for Butler if he just went out on his shield and stepped into the ring to actually fight.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ironfistedmonk
13 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Eubank acid test 3.

I don't think Eubank has ever been serious about acid tests or pushing himself for World Titles, he seems happy to take money making fights like this one, there's nothing wrong with that as long as the fights are interesting as this one is

• Like 1

sifu iron perm
2 hours ago, ironfistedmonk said:

I don't think Eubank has ever been serious about acid tests or pushing himself for World Titles, he seems happy to take money making fights like this one, there's nothing wrong with that as long as the fights are interesting as this one is

Billy Joe was his main rival, domestica yes but it was a serious test for him which he failed. 

• Like 1

Seems the rematch between Taylor and Catterall is postponed yet again with news of Taylor hurting his foot during camp. Talk about snake bit, I was really anticipating this fight.

I see the LDBC community is already hedging in case Fulton loses. Some are accusing Inoue of stacking his handwraps ala Canelo and that Inoue shouldn't be allowed to use the Cletus Reyes horsehair gloves for their fight. You can't make this stuff up! I can already see that if Inoue wins, they're going to say the Yakuza paid Fulton off to take a dive & Inoue was on the special juice lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anyone watch the Beterbiev vs Yarde fight? I caught the UK feed and typical partisan commentary from the Brits. Hilarious how they were trying to hype up Yarde with every punch and the hyperbole they were spewing. Just another example of judging in boxing being suspect and needs to be investigated as two of the judges had...

Spoiler

Yarde ahead before his corner stopped the fight?! Makes you wonder what they were watching? Can you imagine the robbery if Beterbiev got cut and they had to go to the scorecards? It's a bit of a shame that Artur started his pro career so late and that's he's already 38 but I still want to see him fight Bivol.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ironfistedmonk

Yarde was hanging on in there until the finish, he did better than I thought he would considering the only really difficult fight he'd had before that was Kovalev, Beterbiev is one hard fucker, looks like Callum Smith next up for him

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

Yarde did push him a few times, good fight regardless. 

AB is digressing plus prone to cuts and facial damage,  if they fo meet I favour Bivol. 

Round 7 was brutal. Proper throwback fight it was. 

• Like 2

ironfistedmonk
1 minute ago, sifu iron perm said:

Yarde did push him a few times, good fight regardless. 

AB is digressing plus prone to cuts and facial damage,  if they fo meet I favour Bivol. 

Round 7 was brutal. Proper throwback fight it was. 

Yeah I think Bivol beats him, he's so good technically I think he causes Beterbiev a lot of problems

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Bivol beats Beterbiev as Beterbiev best defense is his offense But is there anyone who has heavier hands than him right now. It doesn't even look like he's putting in full max on is punches but he just touches his opps up and they go shaky leg on him.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Nice back and forth war between Liam Wilson and Emmanuel Navarette.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wilson was gutted after the fight and his team is lodging a complaint about the long count & intentional spitting out of the mouthpiece to buy extra time in the 4th but Liam should've put him away regardless.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/unbelievable-drama-erupts-after-liam-wilsons-27second-robbery-in-title-fight-against-emanuel-navarrete/news-story/cc4c4766b899131b0d364031f4f588a5

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2