The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

sifu iron perm
4 minutes ago, sym8 said:

What a great fight last night,Wilder started the first two rounds looking good but the resorted to what we he always does and that’s the right hand.It’s ok if it connects but god knows how many times he swung and missed,like someone has said sloppy and all the talk about how much he’s improved was complete rubbish.He had great heart to keep going but his skill set leaves a lot to be desired.Fury was fantastic and as proven in the past he can get up.He made Wilder miss on numerous times and he came back with some big shots.Great fight and great trilogy.Don’t know what Wilder will do now though,there’s probably fights out there for him but he looked a broken man at the end,maybe call it a day.

If wilder is OK and not damaged as such, he can rebuild, work on stamina, the man doesn't do road work!! He is still dangerous and would sleep AJ and dhillon White In my opinion. Fury is the clear great in this era, let's also wait to see how AJ v Usyk too pans out in March?  Wilder vs chisora, white and ruiz.. Or a come back fight with Helinius. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

If wilder is OK and not damaged as such, he can rebuild, work on stamina, the man doesn't do road work!! He is still dangerous and would sleep AJ and dhillon White In my opinion. Fury is the clear great in this era, let's also wait to see how AJ v Usyk too pans out in March?  Wilder vs chisora, white and ruiz.. Or a come back fight with Helinius. 

I think Wilder struggles against Whyte,with Joshua,if you get the gun shy mess that fought Usyk then it’s easy money but if you get the old AJ then Joshua wins.With regards to rebuilding he had the time to do that before this Fury fight but after all the talk from him and his team and how he’s learnt new stuff,nothing changed.He just has limited boxing ability and like Joshua he gases out.

• Like 1

Just to reiterate why the current heavyweight division has been in steady decline and is now as poor as it has ever been in its entire history, one just has to look at last night's fight. Fury is one of the few ranked heavyweights that has technical boxing skills, you can put Luis Ortiz and Usyk as the other two. But King Kong is 42 years old and was knocked out twice by Wilder when he was close to 40 yrs old. Usyk's trajectory in the HW division is going up, he's still only a couple fights in at his new weight. Wilder has beaten journeymen and cab drivers his entire career and the 3x he's actually fought anyone with a decent resume, he's lost (twice in convincing fashion). The remaining ranked HWs such Joshua, Whyte, Ruiz Jr., Parker, etc all seem to be gatekeepers and not serious threats to hold the title. All the more astonishing that no one has risen up to take Fury's title even when one accounts for the fact that Fury lost 4 productive years due to not controlling his weight plus drugs, alcohol and mental health issues!

So it begs the question, why are the heavyweight boxers of this era bigger in terms of mass & size but poorer in terms of skills & athleticism compared to just a couple decades ago? Here are some quotes from boxing trainers, analysts & historians that provide some answers:

Legendary trainer, Emmanuel Steward said of today’s bigger fighters, "they are nowhere near as skilled as the old fighters. All the good big men are in the NFL or NBA!" He went on to say that the money is so good in the NBA and NFL, which have medical coverage and a good pension plan to boot, that fighters like Foreman and Liston, would today be in other sports.

Angelo Dundee said before he died, "the great heavyweights are gone. Lennox Lewis was the last great heavyweight you will see in your lifetime. These guys coming up just can't box!" Dundee reinforced what Manny Steward said, that “today’s big men are simply not as good athletes as their Golden Age predecessors.”

In this riveting book (The Arc of Boxing: The Rise and Decline of The Sweet Science), Mike Silver point by point by the numbers shows the ongoing deterioration of boxers' skills, their endurance, the decline in the number of fights and the psychological readiness of championship-caliber boxers. The strengths and weaknesses of today's superstars are analyzed empirically and compared to those of such past greats as Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Jack Dempsey and Jake LaMotta - and the modern fighters simply do not stand up in the comparison.

Fighters today fight far fewer rounds, box less in the gym, and simply do not learn the fundamentals of the game.

Ken Burns, the great filmmaker who produced “Unforgivable Blackness” about Jack Johnson, has noted that young Black men flocked to boxing in the 20th century as a way to earn a living. He also noted with the real end of segregation in the 1960’s, there appears to be far fewer young African-American men boxing because there are other, better, ways to make a living, in other sports, and in general.

• Like 1

Surprising development for Naoya Inoue's mandatory title defense as it now appears it will be between Aussie Jason Moloney and Scot Lee McGregor as Dubai based D4G promotions has secured the purse bid for the IBF title eliminator.

No offense to Moloney but he was already soundly beaten by Inoue last October and he just isn't in Inoue's class. McGregor I thought was locked into a rematch after his controversial split decision win over Kash Farooq. Not sure what happened to that rematch as I thought it was a done deal? Anyway, McGregor is still too raw and unpolished to go up against the Monster. I think McGregor should he win the eliminator would go into a fight against Inoue with too much respect as I recall he gushed over Inoue after Inoue's win in the WBSS over Rodriguez and even called Inoue a "one off."

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

One fight that is slipping under the radar is the middleweight unification title bout between GGG and Ryota Murata set for Dec 28 in Tokyo. GGG has certainly lost a step and is on the decline but he still has a beard & power. Murata has that sledgehammer right hand too but he's too slow, plodding and hittable. Even with the home crowd urging on Murata, I don't see how he comes away with a W here unless GGG really looks like shit. I will say Murata has more than a puncher's chance of an upset though & like GGG he's never been stopped by punches.

• Like 1

Quite disappointing match up for "The Monster's" next mandatory as he is set to fight a Thai boxer ranked as #6 in the IBF rankings. All those above him are booked into December with the most noteworthy Quadro Alas set to fight Paul Butler in Dubai on the 11th. Apparently, Inoue's manager tried to secure a fight with a more worthwhile household names like Rau'shee Warren, Gary Antonio Russell and Nikolai Potapov but they failed to materialize.

Anyway, let's hope Casimero can put away Butler with relative ease and this will set up a match with Inoue sometime early next year.

https://www.boxingscene.com/naoya-inoue-aran-dipaen-set-december-14-kokugikan-arena-tokyo--161588

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

At this point, only Crawford vs Porter interests me. These other match-ups that were supposed to materialize, I smell alot of ducking by either the promoters or even the boxers themselves.

• Like 2

Anyone here catch the Canelo vs Plant fight? I was switching between Zhang vs Thug Rose between rounds but luckily caught the 11th round.

Spoiler

Caleb showed his inexperience when he got knocked down the first time. Instead of jogging around the ring doing the chicken dance, he needed to stay down and take the count.

Check Canelo for that clenbuterol meat!

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Anyone here catch the Canelo vs Plant fight? I was switching between Zhang vs Thug Rose between rounds but luckily caught the 11th round.

Reveal hidden contents

Caleb showed his inexperience when he got knocked down the first time. Instead of jogging around the ring doing the chicken dance, he needed to stay down and take the count.

I woke up and watched it, I enjoyed it. Canelo is another beast, even when it seemed he was lethargic in places but still threw power shots throughout.

His finishing is on another level, when he senses his man is done and he goes in for the menacing strike. Plant was cool but he didn't show any dominant force, he won rounds but not canelo's respect!

time for a well deserved rest, fighting 4 times in the last 11 months would do some wrecking to your body!

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 4:57 AM, Yihetuan said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it was a decent effort from Plant but his punches as often as they landed lacked power so Canelo just walked through them.If he had packed a big enough punch it may have ended differently.Don’t think there’s anyone out there that can really trouble Canelo,he most definitely is number one

• Like 1

The crowd booing Porter's dad was hilarious...

Spoiler

I had the fight at the time of the stoppage 5-4 in Bud's slight favor with Bud coming on strong in the later rounds. I thought Porter could've kept going or at least go out on his shield as Porter still had his faculties and legs but I guess "father knows best" & threw in the towel. Once Bud turned up the punishment to the body in the middle rounds, the writing was on the wall for Porter - Porter's dad throwing his son under the bus in the post-fight conference had me shaking my head too. Now it's time for Spence and Bud Super Fight to finally happen.

https://streamable.com/zx1393

• Like 3

sifu iron perm
8 hours ago, DiP said:

Great fight, and without a doubt the best fight of 2021!!! They better make that Spence fight now, no more excuses.

We need Errol to heal better and feel properly healthy and have a good camp! His injury is a problem to be honest. Then set the huge fight up. 

• Like 3

Anybody catch the Teofimo Lopez vs George Kambosos Jr unification LW title fight? How delusional is...

Spoiler

Teo for thinking he won that? That one judge who had it 114-111 for Teo should be investigated. What a poor sport too afterward, appears his dad's behavior is rubbing off on him. Congrats to Kambosos as he was one of the biggest underdogs in recent history. No one had Kambosos pulling this out and to capture the belts in Teo's backyard is just icing on the cake.

https://streamable.com/qrpfva

https://streamable.com/ndzlf2

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Mark Magsayo has struck a deal to face WBC champion Gary Russell Jr. on January 22. This should be interesting!

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/32817538/gary-russell-jr-end-long-layoff-vs-mark-magsayo-jan-22

Should be an interesting fight. Also looking forward to this weekend's all-pinoy clash between Nonito Donaire and Reymart Gaballo for Donaire's WBC belt. Undefeated power punching prospect, Brandun Lee is also on the card.

• Like 2

Just watched Donaire's fight. I expected an easy win for him and one-sided fight but it turned out pretty good from both parties, with Gaballo being quite an active and pressure fighter, and for even lasting 4 rounds with Donaire. Congrats to Donaire, I hope to see the rematch between him and Inoue more than anything else now. And respect to Gaballo, he's got heart and lots of opportunities to improve and build a great future as a boxer. I'm definitely gonna eye him from now on, along with Mark Magsayo and Jerwin Ancajas.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, DiP said:

Just watched Donaire's fight. I expected an easy win for him and one-sided fight but it turned out pretty good from both parties, with Gaballo being quite an active and pressure fighter, and for even lasting 4 rounds with Donaire. Congrats to Donaire, I hope to see the rematch between him and Inoue more than anything else now. And respect to Gaballo, he's got heart and lots of opportunities to improve and build a great future as a boxer. I'm definitely gonna eye him from now on, along with Mark Magsayo and Jerwin Ancajas.

I was particularly interested in the opening fight between Brandun Lee and Juan Heraldez. This was Brandun's first real "opponent" who has stepped in the ring with the best. yeah, Regis Prograis blasted him out in 3 rounds but Heraldez would be a nice test to see where Brandun is at this point in his career. It appeared Brandun was going to get him out in the first round but to Juan's credit, he stepped up in the second and fired some nice counter hooks to keep Brandun from getting too aggressive in pursuit of the KO but eventually, Lee didn't respect Juan's power and just walked him down by the middle rounds and that's all she wrote.

Obviously he deserves another step up in competition for his next fight but I think Brandun needs to devote himself full time to the fight game. He's still a part time college student/pro boxer at this point. The kid as a future though.

You're right, it looks like it's going to be part 2 of the Nonito vs Inoue for the unification of the belts. I would like to see Inoue face Casimero after he dispatches his Thai mandatory tomorrow but maybe he steps right up to Donaire. In this interview, he's already talking about moving up to superbantam if he unifies at 118. I'm not sure if his power will carry at 122? He has a pretty small frame and is nothing like Pacquiao in terms of build. It's just a shame he was never able to unify at 115 before he moved up. I wanted to see Inoue against Estrada, Chocolatito ans SSR. Those would've been some epic fights!

• Like 3

Errol Spence's next fight has been set, and he will face Yordenis Ugas early next year. Although that's not a fight most fans want to see Spence take at the moment, Ugas has proven to be a tough challenger against anyone in the 147 division. This fight should be fireworks!  

https://www.dazn.com/en-SE/news/boxing/wba-president-confirms-yordenis-ugas-vs-errol-spence-for-2022/1lg2truxyl7ui1dawnqj92cuzy

• Like 2