The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

18 hours ago, DiP said:

Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter is happening on November 20. Both Top Rank and PBC will lead the main event marking few of their first attempted collaborations, the other being Fury vs Wilder 3.

I didn't expect this to be realized but it's great for boxing! I've been a big fan of Porter since the Spence fight, and being more so now after watching some of his previous fights, such as the Thurman and Ugas fights.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/32207808/sources-terence-crawford-shawn-porter-strike-deal-nov-20-welterweight-title-bout

Excellent match-up. Bud should take it, but no one has an easy time with Porters combination of aggression, physicality, and heart.

Also, can’t wait for Inoue to smash Casimero… 

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 4

On 9/16/2021 at 11:22 PM, paimeifist said:

Excellent match-up. Bud should take it, but no one has an easy time with Porters combination of aggression, physicality, and heart.

Also, can’t wait for Inoue to smash Casimero… 

Crawford may be undefeated but he needs tougher competition. He definitely had some before but Porter is a completely different beast. It will be interesting to see Crawford against a pressure fighter like him.

TBH, I used to side with Casimero on this whole debate on whether who's better between him and Inoue. After the Rigondeaux fight (very boring fight), I think his overall abilities have been questionable. It also doesn't help when he's currently going back and forth with calling out Donaire and then running scared (according to Donaire himself) whenever Donaire calls his bluffing by sending him the contract to sign, and going too far with his antics --- to the point of making jokes about Freddie Roach's Parkinson's disease.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DiP said:

Crawford may be undefeated but he needs tougher competition. He definitely had some before but Porter is a completely different beast. It will be interesting to see Crawford against a pressure fighter like him.

TBH, I used to side with Casimero on this whole debate on whether who's better between him and Inoue. After the Rigondeaux fight (very boring fight), I think his overall abilities have been questionable. It also doesn't help when he's currently going back and forth with calling out Donaire and then running scared (according to Donaire himself) whenever Donaire calls his bluffing by sending him the contract to sign, and going too far with his antics --- to the point of making jokes about Freddie Roach's Parkinson's disease.

I agree fully about Bud and Porter. I think Bud will win a rough fight, and probably ring Porters bell along the way - but I expect Bud to be marked up by the end of it. Crawford hasn’t had a top level test above 140.

I never thought Casi was better than Inoue though. Inoue is a much more well schooled fighter and is probably the pound for pound hardest puncher in the sport.

With that said, Casi is a mean son of a gun and does lots of good stuff himself - I just think his style leaves way too many opening for Naoya. I expect him to give Inoue some trouble early on though.

His despicable behavior with Donaire and his family just has me waiting to see him get iced… and Naoya is the one who can do it.

Sad we missed the Donaire fight, but I don’t blame Donaire for making the decision he did - I wouldn’t give that clown a payday after disrespecting me like that.

• Like 3

Manny Pacquiao has been nominated to run for presidency for the 2022 elections in the Philippines. All this leaves the question mark: Will Manny announce his retirement from boxing soon?

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

It already sounds like he's resigned to that fact that it's over.

"My boxing career? My boxing career is already over," Pacquiao said, speaking to YouTube channel Toni Talks.

"It's done because I've been in boxing for a long time and my family says that it is enough. I just continued [to box] because I'm passionate about this sport."

But Knucklehead Gibbons wants to milk some more out of his cash cow.

“There is nothing 100% set that [Pacquiao] is done with boxing,” Sean Gibbons, president of Pacquiao’s MP Promotions told BoxingScene.com on Monday. “He will make a decision in October. [For now], he is just discussing ‘maybe or maybe not.’ Nothing official.”

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Joshua Vs Usyk on Saturday, think Usyk could spring a surprise here, he's a top boxer.If it's close the champ will get the nod though.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Joshua Vs Usyk on Saturday, think Usyk could spring a surprise here, he's a top boxer.If it's close the champ will get the nod though.

Against Witherspoon and especially Chisora Usyk looked plain ordinary(lucky to get the nod over a 34 Chisora),I think if Joshua can’t beat this guy he should call it a day.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Against Witherspoon and especially Chisora Usyk looked plain ordinary(lucky to get the nod over a 34 Chisora),I think if Joshua can’t beat this guy he should call it a day.

He hasn’t looked great as a heavyweight so far - but due to his pedigree and beating everyone in a more talented division at cruiserweight, he should be looked at as a very serious threat.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:43 PM, DiP said:

WBC has named Filipino prospects Mark Magsayo and Reymart Gaballo as mandatory challengers to Gary Russell Jr, and Nonito Donaire respectively.

https://tv5.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/32247463/filipino-pugs-gaballo-magsayo-line-title-shots

Both will be huge underdogs. Gaballo got gifted the decision against Rodriquez and Magsayo was losing soundly to Ceja before he landed the hail mary.

I'm disappointed that the WBO ordered the Englishman Paul Butler as the next mandatory against Quadro Alas. The fight the fans want to see is Inoue vs Casimero!

• Like 2

Yes, a comfortable decision for Usyk. Btw, on the undercard Callum Smith absolutely smoked Lenin Castillo with a scary looking one punch KO. Castillo was going into seizures after the knockout and had to be stretchered out of the ring & was rushed to the hospital.

• Like 2

Outstanding performance from Usyk, I’d say he’s now on top of the pound for pound list, factoring in that win and his dominating the talented cruiserweight division.

With that said, I still can’t see him beating Fury - unless Fury beats himself (mentally).

Too big and good, knows how to use his reach as well as his physicality better than AJ does…

Hope that fight gets made if Wilder doesn’t throw a wrench in the gears.

• Like 2

Thing is AJ has a clause in his contract stipulating an immediate rematch in the event he lost to Usyk and is already talking about exercising it. Promoter Eddie Hearn is being more level headed and cautious as he knows AJ was outclassed and has a busted up orbital too.

“I think the rematch is very tough,” Hearn said during DAZN’s post-fight interview. “But there’s absolutely nowhere to hide, is there? You know, I mean, AJ is at the stage of his career, he wants his world championship. He’s already talking about it now. The doctors are trying to see to him. We have to check that eye socket. For me, it looks like it, you know, could be a damaged eye socket. He says no, he’s fine.

“He said he couldn’t see from about the ninth round, but you know, mainly because of the swelling. But, you know, he remained on his feet. For me, he will go straight into the rematch. You know, and we’ll discuss that as a team. It’s not one for tonight, but knowing him, he’ll wanna do it all over again. He’ll have to bring something different, because on that performance, Usyk was the better man.”

Usyk definitely climbs up the P4P rankings with his recent wins at this new weightclass. Canelo is the undisputed #1 but there are 4 or 5 fighters who can claim that #2 spot including Usyk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Thing is AJ has a clause in his contract stipulating an immediate rematch in the event he lost to Usyk and is already talking about exercising it. Promoter Eddie Hearn is being more level headed and cautious as he knows AJ was outclassed and has a busted up orbital too.

Usyk definitely climbs up the P4P rankings with his recent wins at this new weightclass. Canelo is the undisputed #1 but there are 4 or 5 fighters who can claim that #2 spot including Usyk.

It’ll be a bummer if AJ pulls the rematch clause, although ya can’t blame him.. Just like it’s a bummer we see a third Wilder-Fury fight after the complete domination that was their second bout.. Although due to Wilders ridiculous power and the unpredictability of Fury’s mental state I’ll still be on the edge of my seat watching.

AJ-Wilder and Fury-Usyk would be more interesting to me.

I think Usyk has a decent argument for #1. His dominating win over AJ is as good as Canelo’s best win (GGG, all things considered), and far better than Canelo’s win at light heavy (the shell of Kovalev) if we’re comparing wins moving up in weight.

They both have impressive resumes in recent years though, even if Canelo has a lot of haters. Billy Joe, Danny Jacobs, and Callum Smith are legit wins.. but so are the string of cruiserweight title fights Usyk had.

Not saying it’s an easy call, but there is certainly an argument to be made for either one.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 3

The most impressive thing about Usyk is the sheer number of title fights he's won on the road. I believe this is his second consecutive in England after beating Tony Bellew. As far as #1 P4P, an argument can be made for him for sure.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 3

That was awful from Joshua,full credit to Usyk but Joshua was a mess most of the time.To gun shy and he seemed unable to press the fight,for me too much pity patter punching instead of putting some meat behind it.It was an entertaining fight but I think Usyks got his number so no rematch for me,but you know it’s gonna happen

Edited by sym8
  • Like 2

sifu iron perm

What concerned me and many others on saturday night was AJ was far from aggressive,he waited for Usyk to throw first, bad move. AJ did land some nice clean shots, you can see the painting on Usyk's face, unfortunately for Aj, he was outskilled by a far superior boxer!

• Like 4

So book the rematch next Feb or March according to Eddie Hearn.

“I don’t know – February, March,” Hearn said. “I mean, I’d like to do it in the UK again. But again, we’ll sit down with Alex Krassyuk and talk about [it]. You know, there’s already been a few people on that are interested in staging the rematch. I’d like to do it in the UK. I think, obviously, that would be a benefit to AJ. I thought the atmosphere tonight was unbelievable. But again, you know, we’ll sit down with Alex Krassyuk and Egis and see what makes most sense for both guys.”

In other news, looks like Casimero vs his mandatory Paul Butler is going straight to a purse bid. All the big talk, theatrics and obnoxious behavior has gotten JRC nowhere. He lost a big money fight with Donaire, he lowered his PPV value with that snoozefest performance against Rigondeaux and now this. Maybe boxing gods karma for having Memo Heredia in his camp haha.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DiP said:

Manny Pacquiao officially announces his retirement from boxing for the second time, this time in English.

The GOAT IMHO. I'm biased since I'm not old enough to have watched the great boxers of the 70s and 80s except old fight clips but Pac Man sure has the bona fides to stake a claim as one of the greatest of any era.

• Like 2

The trilogy nobody wanted but got anyway. As expected another sloppy but entertaining fight with both men having their moments. But no denying the heavyweight division has seen such a precipitous decline in skill level & competition that it's telling that the 3 stooges of the heavyweight division (Fury, Wilder, AJ) are the main draws.

If you didn't watch Fury vs Wilder III and want to see how it ended, check out the spoiler:

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

What a great fight last night,Wilder started the first two rounds looking good but the resorted to what we he always does and that’s the right hand.It’s ok if it connects but god knows how many times he swung and missed,like someone has said sloppy and all the talk about how much he’s improved was complete rubbish.He had great heart to keep going but his skill set leaves a lot to be desired.Fury was fantastic and as proven in the past he can get up.He made Wilder miss on numerous times and he came back with some big shots.Great fight and great trilogy.Don’t know what Wilder will do now though,there’s probably fights out there for him but he looked a broken man at the end,maybe call it a day.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1