The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

Yihetuan

Anyone catch the 5v5 Queensbury vs Matchroom fights on DAZN? What a complete one sided shellacking by Frank Warren's squad. DuBois completely beat up Hrgovic and in the headliner between two stiffs, Zhang's old man George Foreman power led to a comical looking KO of Wilder in the 5th. The best fight on the card was Nick Ball vs Raymond Ford as both warriors gave it all even till the final bell.

even though it wasn't counted towards the team Warren vs team Hearn thing, Bivol had an easy sparring session against a clearly overmatched Zinad.

16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Anyone catch the 5v5 Queensbury vs Matchroom fights on DAZN? What a complete one sided shellacking by Frank Warren's squad. DuBois completely beat up Hrgovic and in the headliner between two stiffs, Zhang's old man George Foreman power led to a comical looking KO of Wilder in the 5th. The best fight on the card was Nick Ball vs Raymond Ford as both warriors gave it all even till the final bell.

even though it wasn't counted towards the team Warren vs team Hearn thing, Bivol had an easy sparring session against a clearly overmatched Zinad.

Great night’s entertainment,felt for Wilder though.Never thought he was much good in his prime but god was he a mess last night,just looked like he hadn’t fought before,didn’t seem to know what to do.I think he needs to call it a day.

Yihetuan
7 hours ago, sym8 said:

Great night’s entertainment,felt for Wilder though.Never thought he was much good in his prime but god was he a mess last night,just looked like he hadn’t fought before,didn’t seem to know what to do.I think he needs to call it a day.

He's just not that good. Once he left PBC and Al Haymon and Shelly Finkel couldn't protect him anymore the writing was on the wall. The whole LDBC, Bronze Bomber & the "bomb squad" was hyping him for years (I think this is partly in reaction to the HW division being dominated by Europeans in the last few decades from Klitschko to Fury - so this is the inverse of the "great White Hope" phenomena). Look he's a poor technical boxer with terrible footwork but did have that prodigious power in his right hand and he made a name for himself with highlight reel KOs against inferior competition. His best win was against Luis Ortiz but every time he faced the elite in his division he got beat. But I'm not hating on the man - he was a beer delivery driver, took up boxing late to provide for his disabled daughter and was very limited in his boxing ability but he made a nice living and can now retire. Also getting rid of Mark Breland didn't help matters but regardless of trainer, the man was just known for windmilling punches and hoping to land something.

18 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

ook he's a poor technical boxer with terrible footwork but did have that prodigious power in his right hand and he made a name for himself with highlight reel KOs against inferior competition.

I’d love to know how many rounds he actually won in his career,because that power got him off the hook so many times like you say against inferior competition.Even against the 100 year old Ortiz he was getting skooled until the power prevailed.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
59 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I’d love to know how many rounds he actually won in his career,because that power got him off the hook so many times like you say against inferior competition.Even against the 100 year old Ortiz he was getting skooled until the power prevailed.

The fact that he might get into the Hall of Fame is more an indictment of the HW division than anything Wilder achieved in terms of being only 1 of 9 HWs to have made 10 successful title defenses.

• Like 1

Yihetuan

Thought this was pretty cool, Naoya & Teofimo taking a pic. The Monster is in NYC for the BWAA and is going to watch the Xander Zayas fight on Saturday. Probably do a little scouting on Shu Shu Carrington as well as that could be a potential matchup next year.

GPbmYF6WMAAXJ8p.jpg

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Gervonta "Tank" Davis Vs Frank "The Ghost" Martin is on within 4-5 hours.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

wow, upset of the year!

Spoiler

with Liam Paro beating the much touted and odds makers favorite, Matias in his own backyard! props to the Aussie for boxing an excellent technical fight and making Subriel Matias fight from behind all night. Eddie Hearn just signed this guy and loses his belt in his first title fight LOL

https://x.com/MatchroomBoxing/status/1802194497981255737

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

wow, upset of the year!

Reveal hidden contents

with Liam Paro beating the much touted and odds makers favorite, Matias in his own backyard! props to the Aussie for boxing an excellent technical fight and making Subriel Matias fight from behind all night. Eddie Hearn just signed this guy and loses his belt in his first title fight LOL

https://x.com/MatchroomBoxing/status/1802194497981255737

what a great night of boxing! Yes the upset of the year was a damn good fight too..

Tank doing his thing with another KO reel. Great fight that was..

• Like 1

Yihetuan
On 6/16/2024 at 3:55 AM, sifu iron perm said:

what a great night of boxing! Yes the upset of the year was a damn good fight too..

Tank doing his thing with another KO reel. Great fight that was..

Hey bro, Bill Haney put this up. :laugh

Screenshot_20240617-132855.png

• Haha 2

sifu iron perm
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Hey bro, Bill Haney put this up. :laugh

Screenshot_20240617-132855.png

Before the one sided ass whipping Devin recieved from Ryan I had a soft spot & praise for him, but right now he gets mulled by Tank..devin vs Shakur would be a great fight to be fair.

Bill Haney is a failed stand up comedian.  

• Like 1

PandaPawPaw
On 5/6/2024 at 4:19 PM, sifu iron perm said:

20240506_150610.jpg

I get 'Gimmie Tong Po' vibes from that. :D

Cool pics.

• Love 1

sifu iron perm
4 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I get 'Gimmie Tong Po' vibes from that. :D

Cool pics.

Wicked reference  😆 

• Like 1

Yihetuan

@DiP what do you think of Filipino MW prospect, Weljon MIndoro? I know he's been fighting a bunch of stiffs but does have a 100% KO rate at that higher than typical weightclass for a Filipino fighter. His last fight he beat Tyler Goodjohn (who is known more for being a BKFC than a pro boxer) convincingly but Goodjohn returned to the ring for the first time in 7 years!

16 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@DiP what do you think of Filipino MW prospect, Weljon MIndoro? I know he's been fighting a bunch of stiffs but does have a 100% KO rate at that higher than typical weightclass for a Filipino fighter. His last fight he beat Tyler Goodjohn (who is known more for being a BKFC than a pro boxer) convincingly but Goodjohn returned to the ring for the first time in 7 years!

His resume looks good (all wins by KOs) but his KO artistry alone doesn't mean everything. Which is why he drawed against Takeshi Inoue. Would love to see him evolve his skills if he wants to go up against tougher opponents with that KO ability. 

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DiP said:

His resume looks good (all wins by KOs) but his KO artistry alone doesn't mean everything. Which is why he drawed against Takeshi Inoue. Would love to see him evolve his skills if he wants to go up against tougher opponents with that KO ability. 

Didnt realize he fought T. Inoue? Yeah, Inoue is a tough out for anyone. I remember he gave Jaime Mungia a thought fight & could've been a draw on some cards. He reminds me of a less talented Yoshihiro Kamegai because he can take some punishment.

Edited by Yihetuan

Junto Nakatani vs Vincent Astrolabio weigh-in. Unless Astrolabio pulls off something effectively surprising, this is going to be a lopsided victory for Nakatani.

Yihetuan

I agree. The Astronaut stands zero chance of beating Junto. I say Junto stops him within 6. Really hoping Bam moves up to 118 next year & fights Junto or Junto moves to 122 and takes on Inoue in the fight of the century for the Japan.

• Like 2

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, DiP said:

Junto Nakatani vs Vincent Astrolabio weigh-in. Unless Astrolabio pulls off something effectively surprising, this is going to be a lopsided victory for Nakatani.

The one thing I'll say about Asian boxers is they're mostly respectful during the weigh ins and face offs. They're usually not mean mugging, or talking trash or bumping foreheads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

I agree. The Astronaut stands zero chance of beating Junto. I say Junto stops him within 6. Really hoping Bam moves up to 118 next year & fights Junto or Junto moves to 122 and takes on Inoue in the fight of the century for the Japan.

Inoue vs Nakatani would be something of the next big thing, similar to Crawford vs Spence. But we all know politics will be involved making the fight progress longer than usual, for the sake of money.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
4 minutes ago, DiP said:

Inoue vs Nakatani would be something of the next big thing, similar to Crawford vs Spence. But we all know politics will be involved making the fight progress longer than usual, for the sake of money.

If they can sell out the Tokyo Dome at full capacity for Nery, just imagine the gate they draw for this fight? It would be crazy! But yeah, i agree about politics. The one thing in favor of the fight though is Bob Arum is not getting any younger, I mean what is he 93? So he'll probably push for this mega fight as one last payday for his coffers despite what Ohashi promotions wants to do with Inoue. There's no one left at 122 that can give him a competitive fight but at 126 you have the 3 Mexicans, Ford, Ball, Otabek, who can give Inoue a challenge at least.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
16 hours ago, DiP said:

• Buddha Bless You 1

Knew Nakatani would walk off with the win but that was way too early. Bet some folks stayed up only to go back to bed after the fight 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

My god this has to KO of the year. Bahdi was supposed to be a mark and H2O was supposed to show out in this fight but that's why they lace 'em up. What's up with the ref not letting Bahdi celebrate? the man just had the biggest win of his career in spectacular fashion and the ref is holding him back?!

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2