The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

Luis Nery ain't a bad match-up. People keep talking about MJ deserving a shot at Inoue even though Tapales won (barely) against him. Nonetheless, both these guys are other easy work for him. The fight they should make (a non-title fight) is the John Riel Casimero fight. Just to see Inoue prove himself, and to shut all Casimero fanboys up.

• Like 1

So Zhang vs Joseph Parker is on the undercard of the AJ vs Ngannou fight. That's more interesting than the main event. Let's see if the triangle theory works since Joyce beat Parker & Zhang beat Joyce twice.

5 hours ago, DiP said:

Luis Nery ain't a bad match-up. People keep talking about MJ deserving a shot at Inoue even though Tapales won (barely) against him. Nonetheless, both these guys are other easy work for him. The fight they should make (a non-title fight) is the John Riel Casimero fight. Just to see Inoue prove himself, and to shut all Casimero fanboys up.

The thing that soured me on MJ was he had all this time to unify the division but he kept cherry picking. Now that he sees he can make the biggest purse of his career fighting the Golden goose, Inoue he's calling him out & taking to social media. If he was a real champ at 122, he would've had that same energy before Inoue moved up. I think an Inoue vs MJ fight is planned for Saudi Arabia since the Muslims will come out to support MJ.

I'm honestly on the fence about a title defense against Quadro Alas. On one hand, like you I want to see all the annoying JRC fans to see him get destroyed but also I don't want to see JRC rewarded for his lackadaisical attitude & unprofessional approach to making weight.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Great early morning action (with the time difference to Japan) here with the Top Rank Triple Header Championship card lead by 3 title fights headlined by Takuma Inoue vs Jerwin Ancajas, Junto Nakatani vs Alexandro Santiago and Kosei Tanaka vs Christian Bacasegua.

The prelim fights also included Jonas Sultan vs prospect Riku Masuda. Didn't expect this result.

Spoiler

Was weird seeing a simple straight left to the body send a tough battle tested Sultan to the canvas and unable to continue.

The first of the 3 main title bouts had Kosei Tanaka become a 4 division champion as he easily had his way with the Mexican challenger & won wide on the scorecards.

The next title bout was the most intriguing for me as Santiago proved he's a tough SOB against Donaire and he's never been down in his career but I wanted to see if Junto using his huge height and reach advantage would box outside and eventually break him down. I think Junto is the best boxer in Japan after Naoya and he has to be in discussion for P4P ranking. Can you imagine Junto moving up to 122 next year and fighting Naoya for the unified belts? Fans are already dubbing it Godzilla vs Ghidorah and would sell out the Tokyo Dome in minutes.

The the final match had Naoya's younger brother and less face it, the lesser boxer and puncher too and he had a tough task with his first defense of his bantamweight belt taking on Ancajas. Jerwin had the power advantage but he looked slow, flat footed and Inoue's handspeed quickness was apparent especially fighting a smart fight on the outside. Ancajas had some success dirty boxing in close quarters but Inoue was also working the body throughout the fight and in the 9th delivered a beautiful shot to the solar plexus that completely shutdown Ancajas. Bad night for the Filipinos as both tough veterans succumbed to body blows.

Overall, a very entertaining card overall and all the favorites lived up to their billing especially Nakatani who looks like he's going to be the next great boxer in the footsteps of Inoue and with his frame and style, he'll be able to move up perhaps even further up the weightclasses than Inoue.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

Japanese boxing will get bigger in the future so there's hope for great match-ups being made unlike the ones that are brought up in the US but never goes into fruition. This is what boxing needs right now.

As for Filipino boxing, it's time for the previous generational competitors (born in late 80s/early 90s) to step aside and let the new generation (born in late 90s/early 00s) take over. Ancajas and Sultan (both typical brawlers) have had a good run but looks like they are about to exit the game. Would love to see prospects like Dave Apolinario and Lienard Sarcon progress by taking on great contenders and bring the country back on the map.

• Like 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

I’ll watch a little more boxing if people are willing to fight each other and not be a bunch of puss. I’ve seen more of the Paul brothers in action than I’ve seen the actual boxers in their sports. Cowards!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DiP said:

Japanese boxing will get bigger in the future so there's hope for great match-ups being made unlike the ones that are brought up in the US but never goes into fruition. This is what boxing needs right now.

As for Filipino boxing, it's time for the previous generational competitors (born in late 80s/early 90s) to step aside and let the new generation (born in late 90s/early 00s) take over. Ancajas and Sultan (both typical brawlers) have had a good run but looks like they are about to exit the game. Would love to see prospects like Dave Apolinario and Lienard Sarcon progress by taking on great contenders and bring the country back on the map.

It's sad that the Philippines has zero champs at the moment. When was the last time that happened? In contrast, Japan now has 9 which is second behind the US. Reiya Abe can make it 10 if he wins next week against Venado Lopez but that'll be a tough task as Venado is clearly favored in that match. But yeah, seems like the passing of the guard with the old generation that came right after the Pacquiao and Donaire era. Quadro Alas is the next in line but he's what 35 now? His best days are behind him and seems he's more interested in becoming a YT celebrity than resuming his career. Regarding, Ancajas I think those two fights with Pumita, the Argentinian took its toll on him. Pumita was supposed to be an easy mark and tune up fight but Ancajas overlooked him.

• Like 1

Yihetuan

Well that presser between Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney was a total clown show. Looks staged as hell. Ryan on some stuff. I knew it was going to take a racial tone but Devin has some thin skin. Remember when Floyd said all kinds of racist shit to Manny and Manny just brushed it off?

• Like 2

sifu iron perm
6 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Well that presser between Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney was a total clown show. Looks staged as hell. Ryan on some stuff. I knew it was going to take a racial tone but Devin has some thin skin. Remember when Floyd said all kinds of racist shit to Manny and Manny just brushed it off?

You have AC slater hosting it so say no more lol 

Ryan apparently said something derogatorily about Islam (Haney religon) ..all to sell this fight..

• Haha 1

Yihetuan
2 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

You have AC slater hosting it so say no more lol 

Ryan apparently said something derogatorily about Islam (Haney religon) ..all to sell this fight..

Very true. I can't stand that Mario Lopez guy. What's up with these boxers converting to Islam? Tank Davis and Haney? Nothing to do with those big Saudi dollars huh?

sifu iron perm
5 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Very true. I can't stand that Mario Lopez guy. What's up with these boxers converting to Islam? Tank Davis and Haney? Nothing to do with those big Saudi dollars huh?

Devin is authentic because Dad was Muslim years ago.

Tank is suspect..lol that was like WTF.

Bro I cant stand this saved by the bell Garcia!! 

.check this from Oscar.. 

From few hours ago!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C39H_eLLlhG/?igsh=MW91cWdkcDR4bTFpeQ==

• Haha 1

Yihetuan

Man I guess old habits die hard for Oscar. At least he didn't break out with the garter belts & high heels. :bs_vomit:

• Haha 1

Yihetuan

The title fight last night between much hyped Uzbek Otabek "Bruce Lee" Kholmatov and Raymond Ford was a classic if you like late match heroics and underdog comebacks. Shame for Kholmatov as he was ahead on all the scorecards before the stoppage. Should've taken a knee instead of turning his back trying to find the ropes. Back in the day of the standing 8 count, Otabek probably would've survived to win this fight. Props to Ford for the persevering and having the wherewithal to finish him once he had him hurt.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan

Looking forward to this one especially if Nery is going to go for broke with house money.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

19 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Looking forward to this one especially if Nery is going to go for broke with house money.

Inoue by career finish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Can they both get KO'd please.

I'm gonna blame Profesional wrestling for this. Now every sports league has to be this big spectacle with drama and story and its never just the sport itself. RIP Boxing 

Yihetuan

Anyone catch the Joshua vs Ngannou card? The main event went as expected as you can tell Ngannou was out of his element against a boxer who took this fight seriously not like Fury. The co-main event was a snoozer. How the hell do you get two 10-8 rounds by knocking down Parker twice and still end up losing by a fair margin on the scorecards? I know Zhang has a rematch clause with Parker but I do not want to see him fight Parker again. Coming in the ring at close to 300lbs, no stamina or conditioning and relying on a one punch KO is a terrible plan. Gutted for the Englishman, Nick Ball as I thought he did enough especially late to win against Vargas especially giving up a huge height advantage. He looked a foot shorter than Vargas.

• Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm

AJ did Boxing justice. Theeew! 

Now that's over, for real.. Good! 

• Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry
On 3/8/2024 at 8:24 PM, sifu iron perm said:

AJ did Boxing justice. Theeew! 

Now that's over, for real.. Good! 

He got underrated a bit after losing 3 fights in the last few years.  But even after that he was still a top 3 heavyweight (not counting Fury since he’s “retired”).  Great win for Joshua.  Nobody’s overlooking him now.  

• Like 1

This one is closing in! LMAO at people in the comment section of the video saying that Nery may upset Inoue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Btw, last weekend had Devin Haney vs Ryan Garcia.

Spoiler

Never liked Garcia but I was so surprised at the outcome. Guess it paid off for him having been trained by Floyd Mayweather and Derrick James.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

sifu iron perm
8 hours ago, DiP said:

This one is closing in! LMAO at people in the comment section of the video saying that Nery may upset Inoue.

When did Nery get that neck tat? 

Any translators here? 

Yihetuan
16 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

When did Nery get that neck tat? 

Any translators here? 

It's probably fake just like his beard. :laugh  Anyway, Inoue going to hit him so hard that tattoo going to auto translate back to Spanish after the fight.

• Haha 2

sifu iron perm
Just now, Yihetuan said:

It's probably fake just like his beard. :laugh  Anyway, Inoue going to hit him so hard that tattoo going to auto translate back to Spanish after the fight.

Damn! 😆 🤣 😂 

I'm looking forward to the undercard.