The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

Hilarious that he can look at that footage and still deny that was a cup shot. But yeah, the best part of that interview was Bobby's attempt at English. I'm surprised you never saw Bobby's fight against Kevin Kelley where he stopped him with a low blow...errr, body shot? That's his most famous fight and probably the high point of his career.

Speaking of prospects, Japan has a lot of them in the pipeline. Some you may of heard of already as they're making some noise here like Subaru Murata, jin Sasaki, Homura Fujita but another one on the horizon is Yuga Ozaki. A rangy southpaw in the mold of a Nakatani. Keep an eye out for him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

I almost forgot about Bobby.

Cotto & Canelo brother's too!

I was thinking who were the most successful boxing brothers of all time? The Klitschko brothers?

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
22 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I was thinking who were the most successful boxing brothers of all time? The Klitschko brothers?

100 percent!

Then Michael & Leon Spinks..

Then Rafael and Juan Manuel Marquez.

• Like 2

yeah, you can almost see how this will play out. I think Marlon will employ the jab and occasional looping hook from the philly shell stance & employ the shoulder roll but I don't think that defense is as effective being a southpaw. It took MJ too long to figure it out but Inoue is just too quick and powerful and will walk down Tapales and render him ineffective offensively. If Inoue doesn't respect what you're throwing back at him, it'll be a short night. I see the same. Inoue by KO within 6 rounds.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 7:12 AM, sifu iron perm said:

100 percent!

Then Michael & Leon Spinks..

Then Rafael and Juan Manuel Marquez.

How about the most successful father and son (daughter) boxing combo? Hector Camacho and his son or Julio Cesar Chavez and his son? Maybe the Mayweathers? Muhammad and Laila Ali? Who's your pick?

• Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

How about the most successful father and son (daughter) boxing combo? Hector Camacho and his son or Julio Cesar Chavez and his son? Maybe the Mayweathers? Muhammad and Laila Ali? Who's your pick?

Well its very rare you have the offspring that surpasses his father's legacy and become one of the all time greats, respectfully. Mayweather's for sure!

Leon & Corey Spinks to add..

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

I am looking hella forward to tomorrow's Day of Wreckoning card and then on Boxing Day (Morning for us in the UK) for Monster vs Tapales!!

Great Year for Boxing fans!

• Like 2

God I hope Dubois irons out Dope head Miller.I hope Wider beats Parker and Joshua takes care of business so we get the Wilder vs Joshua match we want.👊👊

7 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Well its very rare you have the offspring that surpasses his father's legacy and become one of the all time greats, respectfully. Mayweather's for sure!

Leon & Corey Spinks to add..

Of the ones active today, you have Tim Tzsyu, Connor Benn & Fernando Vargas Jr. Tim looks to be the best of the bunch right now.

7 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

I am looking hella forward to tomorrow's Day of Wreckoning card and then on Boxing Day (Morning for us in the UK) for Monster vs Tapales!!

Great Year for Boxing fans!

Don't really have much interest in the AJ fight but I'll check it out for Bivol.

• Buddha Bless You 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:20 AM, sym8 said:

God I hope Dubois irons out Dope head Miller.I hope Wider beats Parker and Joshua takes care of business so we get the Wilder vs Joshua match we want.👊👊

I'm glad Parker showed up and beat Wilder in a lopsided loss. He threw a wrench in the works for the AJ vs Wilder fight that was already a done deal where Wallin and Parker were just mere formalities. Wilder still mouthing off that AJ is afraid of his power and AJ's happy he doesn't have to face him now. Just goes to show the current state of the HW division where there is no prohibitive favorite. AJ having Ben Davison as his new trainer seems to have done a world of good as it has for Leigh Wood. I'm with you @sym8, very happy DuBois took out known multiple drug cheat Miller.

Bivol fight was as expected. He's just a masterclass boxer and he's just going to outbox his opponent if they don't have the physical advantage or prodigious power to neutralize it. That's why the potential matchup with Artur Beterbiev is so intriguing should Beterbiev get past Callum Smith (which he should). Some have called for him to fight Jai Opetaia but that's crazy talk just like all the Inoue fighting Tank talk. Opetaia's future is as a HW and Bivol is too small. It's a shame the current cruiserweight division is lackluster or else Opetaia would be a much more of a household name as he's a beast.

Now to the Tapales vs Inoue fight for the unification title, it played out like @DiP and myself predicted on this thread but Tapales definitely frustrated Inoue in the middle rounds and made Inoue work for the TKO. Credit to Tapales for making in fight adjustments alternating between the peek-a-boo high guard and philly shell/shoulder roll but you can see that while it frustrated Inoue, Tapales just wasn't generating enough offense and had to go back to the high guard which was his eventual downfall as he the accumulation of damage finally took its toll in the 10th round.

Inoue is one of the only fighters at the lower weights that can actually punch through the gloves and KO his opponent. He just has terrifying accuracy and power. Just like the Fulton fight, Inoue admitted in the post-fight interview that he baited Tapales on the ropes to open up Tapales' defense but Tapales fought smart and didn't allow himself to fall into the traps.

For me, it's easy to name Inoue the Fighter of the Year. Yes, Crawford delivered a blistering performance against a top ranked Errol Spence but that version of Spence (looking like a literal weight drained zombie) took the shine off a bit. Inoue to unify two divisions in the four-belt era to be undisputed champion in two weight classes in the span of a year makes him FOTY.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Now to the Tapales vs Inoue fight for the unification title, it played out like @DiP and myself predicted on this thread but Tapales definitely frustrated Inoue in the middle rounds and made Inoue work for the TKO. Credit to Tapales for making in fight adjustments alternating between the peek-a-boo high guard and philly shell/shoulder roll but you can see that while it frustrated Inoue, Tapales just wasn't generating enough offense and had to go back to the high guard which was his eventual downfall as he the accumulation of damage finally took its toll in the 10th round.

Inoue is one of the only fighters at the lower weights that can actually punch through the gloves and KO his opponent. He just has terrifying accuracy and power. Just like the Fulton fight, Inoue admitted in the post-fight interview that he baited Tapales on the ropes to open up Tapales' defense but Tapales fought smart and didn't allow himself to fall into the traps.

I was surprised it lasted that long. However, I noticed that Inoue toned down the offensive in the middle rounds compared to the early rounds when he was going at it. It's as if he wanted Tapales to show what he got so that Inoue could figure him out more after knocking him down in round 4. It worked as he managed to get some hits on Tapales when he was shelling up, and using the jab.

Taking that into account, I also realized that Inoue also dragged the fight to give the crowd a longer show to enjoy. Otherwise, if Inoue was gonna end it he could've in round 5 already. He did the same thing to Paul Butler because Butler refused to give a competitive fight so Inoue had to force Butler to let his offense off. Inoue is a terrifying knockout artist but also deserves credit for being one hell of a crowd pleaser!

Inoue is easily FOTY. To me his boxing style is simply unique, special, and overall mindblowing to watch, regardless of level of competition, and accomplishments in the sport of boxing. Just like Manny Pacquiao before him.

• Like 1

yes, he probably did carry Tapales a few rounds for the crowd but I could tell he was really seeking the finish at the end. I read that Ohashi promotions has already set forth a 3 fight schedule for next year. One location is reportedly Saudia Arabia with the other being the Tokyo Dome. I'm sure the Tokyo Dome will be reserved for a year end special fight. Supposedly contract negotiations are ongoing with Luis Nery for the May fight. Not sure who will be the opponents for the other 2 fights lined up but it's not too difficult to speculate since Inoue is definitely staying at 122 for at least next year. The other names have to be MJ, the Aussie Sam Goodman and possibly, Casimero.

I hope he comes to the US for one of the fights. I missed the chance to see him fight Nieves in Carson a few years ago on the undercard of the SSR vs Chocolatito rematch. Speaking of Chocolatito, I know he was a perennial P4P champ but he just didn't bring the excitement of the lower weight classes like Inoue did to the casual boxing fans. There hasn't been a fighter of his caliber just wrecking his opposition since Manny over two decades ago. Unfortunately, I think featherweight is the absolute limit for Inoue due to his age, frame and physique and even if his power diminishes as he moves up weight classes, I think his ring IQ, technical boxing skills and good defense will carry him to some illustrious wins in the future. Yes, he's already a definite hall of famer and all-time great and the second greatest Asian boxer behind Manny.

Appears AJ and Hrgovic is the next fight in the HW division. I think that's a decent match-up with both having accomplished amateur and Olympic backgrounds. I don't want to see another Parker vs AJ matchup. I still feel Hrgovic lost to Zhang though and I have to feel a bit bad for Zhang as his opportunities are drying up even though he's practically called every HW out with no response. Maybe Zhang will end up fighting that can crusher Wilder? Wilder has no business fighting any of the top HWs anymore, he's proven again and again that he doesn't belong in the conversation with the top HWs in the division. Al Haymon and Shelley Finkel can't protect him anymore and he's just going to keep getting exposed as a can crusher.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

I always look forward to the end of the year Japanese fights (boxing, Rizin & K1) and while this year was a bit lackluster, it was still interesting to watch for a couple reasons. The main fight between Ioka and Perez was as lopsided as it was predicted. I mean Ioka just took this as a basically a tune-up and just keep active match and it showed as he overwhelmed the over matched Josber Perez to take an easy KO win. It's damn shame that Gallo Estrada couldn't agree to terms for this fight, Ioka still called him out at the end, so hopefully that match gets made sometime next year or a rematch with Franco to end the controversial decision.

The other fighter I wanted to see bounce back was Daigo Higa. Remember when he was once spoken of in the same terms as Kenshiro & Kosei after he became champion? Then he had problems making weight, got suspended and got KO'd by Rosales, outclassed by rising prospect Nishida and he fell off the map. Well, he's won 4 in a row now since he's been forced by the JBC to move up two weight classes and his last was his most impressive as his power seems to have come back. Maybe he can get himself back in contention again?

But the one I really wanted to see was 126lb prospect Hayato Tsutsumi. He faced his stiffest pro challenge yet in game undefeated Dominican Luis Moncion Ventura, who has been on a knock out streak of his own. There is no question about Tsutsumi's boxing ability as he won the Gold at the World Youth Championship and even beat Otabek Kholmatov, the heavily hyped Uzbek fighter. But the question remained if he could hurt and knock out anyone as a pro and he passed with flying colors on NYE. Definitely one to keep an eye on!

The other big news was Gervonta "Tank" Davis converting to Islam and taking the name, Abdul Wahid. Hopefully this religious conversion will make him fight some fighters in his weight class. I don't want to see him fight Pitbull Cruz again. Even Rayo Valenzuela is calling him out and I'd much rather see that match up.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ironfistedmonk
5 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

AJ vs Ngannou confirmed in March!

Think AJ wipes the floor with him, I can see the Saudis wanting to set up the biggest fight in heavyweight boxing after this with AJ v Fury, the Ngannou fight should show AJ do a job on him that Fury couldn't and setting up a back story for that fight.  I think Usyk beats Fury but any AJ or Fury rematch against Usyk wouldn't be anywhere near as big a fight, Usyk just isn't that big a draw for casual fans

• Like 2

AJ will have two big advantages compared to Fury - he knows Ngannou is not taken lightly and he will have enough film of Ngannou boxing to prepare better.

I expect AJ to win by KO in later rounds, which as mentioned should set-up his super fight vs Fury.

Despite a potential 2nd loss, Ngannou should still be able to fight Wilder later and because of their styles, it should gather enough interest to make it happen.

Yihetuan
12 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

AJ vs Ngannou confirmed in March!

It's a shame the future of boxing are these clown show fights in the Middle East but they (sanctioning bodies, promoters and the boxers themselves) only have themselves to blame. Ratings have been dwindling for years and with stalwarts like HBO and now finally Showtime washing their hands of boxing, it was just a matter of time before boxing turns into professional wrestling. It was the HW division that generally held the casual public's interest but that division has been a shit show for decades now. I can see why fight fans are turning away from boxing to MMA in droves.

A bit depressing but I'm still interested in a couple fights this weekend & next, most notable is Vergil Ortiz Jr's comeback after almost 2 years with all his health issues trying to get down to 147. Let's see how he looks at 154 and next week, looking forward to Beterbiev vs Smith. Beterbiev's fights are always a must watch for me.

• Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
9 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

It's a shame the future of boxing are these clown show fights in the Middle East but they (sanctioning bodies, promoters and the boxers themselves) only have themselves to blame. Ratings have been dwindling for years and with stalwarts like HBO and now finally Showtime washing their hands of boxing, it was just a matter of time before boxing turns into professional wrestling. It was the HW division that generally held the casual public's interest but that division has been a shit show for decades now. I can see why fight fans are turning away from boxing to MMA in droves.

A bit depressing but I'm still interested in a couple fights this weekend & next, most notable is Vergil Ortiz Jr's comeback after almost 2 years with all his health issues trying to get down to 147. Let's see how he looks at 154 and next week, looking forward to Beterbiev vs Smith. Beterbiev's fights are always a must watch for me.

I agree with your statement with Boxing getting bent over and "sold out" with these promoters taking money over dignity , fighting a former MMA contender/champ with only 1 professional fight to his name is quite pathetic, but as if he didn't tag and drop the current World Champ and came close to beaing him that night didnt he? I cant fault the Saudi Riyadh season thus far, they put on some good shows up to now, they also helped shap the Ali tournament some years ago, that was a good tourney. The HW is still active and we still can get a few decent to potential classic match ups in my opinion; zhang vs fury, AJ, Wilder and maybe Ruiz..Wilder loss against Parker was a wake up call, if he can get his MOJO back in his next fight then time to hang em up,,

Tonight's card should be fun and intriguing..Ohara davis vs Barroso on the undercard, lets see where Rollie wnet wrong? LOL

Next Saturday night live from Canada will be slugfest, Smith may cause an upset IMO, he is tough and can apply pressure. AB better be ready !

• Like 1

Yihetuan
On 1/6/2024 at 9:09 AM, sifu iron perm said:

I agree with your statement with Boxing getting bent over and "sold out" with these promoters taking money over dignity , fighting a former MMA contender/champ with only 1 professional fight to his name is quite pathetic, but as if he didn't tag and drop the current World Champ and came close to beaing him that night didnt he? I cant fault the Saudi Riyadh season thus far, they put on some good shows up to now, they also helped shap the Ali tournament some years ago, that was a good tourney. The HW is still active and we still can get a few decent to potential classic match ups in my opinion; zhang vs fury, AJ, Wilder and maybe Ruiz..Wilder loss against Parker was a wake up call, if he can get his MOJO back in his next fight then time to hang em up,,

Tonight's card should be fun and intriguing..Ohara davis vs Barroso on the undercard, lets see where Rollie wnet wrong? LOL

Next Saturday night live from Canada will be slugfest, Smith may cause an upset IMO, he is tough and can apply pressure. AB better be ready !

Overall a really lackluster fight card. Two first round stoppages and questionable early stoppage in the main event. Ohara Davis was an embarrassment but the early stoppage during the Ortiz fight was mind boggling. Don't know what Tony Weeks was thinking there?

• Haha 1

Jizzmaster Jerry
Posted (edited)

Yes.  Saw the highlights and Ngannou looked great.  Fury looked like shit just like he always does, but that’s how he wins.  Sloppy is his style.  

Didnt see this mentioned I must have missed it but Ngannou is gonna fight Anthony Joshua.  This is so cool.  Ngannou is actually ranked #10 heavyweight, with an 0-1 pro record.  Never seen anything like that before but he deserves it.  Can’t say much about Joshua but I’ve seen every ufc fight of Ngannou.  He has an iron chin.  He took Stipe Miocic’s best shots and Miocic still couldn’t finish him with huge ground and pound shots, and Ngannou was gassed out for the last 4 rounds!  Dude has a ridiculously huge heart.  And he may be the most powerful puncher to ever live.  I always found those guys to be the scariest fighters because they can knock u out very easily but u can’t knock them out.  Mark Hunt and Dan Henderson also come to mind.  These guys could wipe out the entire slap fight roster in one day.  And while Ngannou did get his butt whooped by Miocic, he dominated the rematch.  And his boxing skills looked 10x better.  He improved extremely fast.  Miocic looked very confused by this.  Ngannou is 37 I think, but he doesn’t have a lot of mileage on his body fighting.  He has a good chance of climbing up the ranks in boxing.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:25 AM, DiP said:

Anyone caught the Tyson Fury Vs Frank Ngannou fight yesterday? Word is that Ngannou got robbed.

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan
17 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Overall a really lackluster fight card. Two first round stoppages and questionable early stoppage in the main event. Ohara Davis was an embarrassment but the early stoppage during the Ortiz fight was mind boggling. Don't know what Tony Weeks was thinking there?

If this is true, they should've never allowed him to step in the ring.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/boxing-referees-shocking-prefight-brain-aneurysm-claim-after-tszyu-rivals-win-rocks-boxing/news-story/bdb1c17960bfeae29761d4a9e12ba926

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

So Inoue vs Nery is on for May in Tokyo. Appears JBC lifted it's lifetime ban on Nery to make this bout happen. Nery is durable & comes to fight but he's so sloppy. If he fights Inoue like he did his last fight against Crazy A, it'll be over within a few rounds.

Screenshot_20240109-145521.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1