The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

@DiP, Casimero hitting new lows with his latest fight if the rumor is true. Going to Japan in October to fight Yukinori Oguni who is coming out of retirement. I think I've seen 1 fight of Oguni & it was highlights of him getting beat down by Iwasa. The same Iwasa who knocked down Tapales 2 or 3 times and got the TKO against him. Iwasa also knocked out Genesis Servania, so no shame in that but this should be a walk in the park for Casimero but don't see how this fight sets him up for anything in the future? He's 34 yrs old already and seems he's wasted his best opportunity for a title shot. I really hope this is just a rumor.

Also, I've been keeping an eye on Subaru Murata. The Japanese southpaw has some power and heavy hands and good to see Teiken and TR bringing him along slowly.

Screenshot_2023-08-01 OLE on Twitter.png

Edited by Yihetuan

Jizzmaster Jerry

I became bored with boxing awhile ago.  Kickboxing became a lot more interesting to me.  I can’t watch a boxing match without thinking oh perfect chance for a kick.  But I have become a fan of Terrence Crawford.  The dude knocks out everybody.  I think the last decision he had was against some British guy Ricky.  That was around a decade ago.  Since then, Crawford has knocked out everybody, Im pretty sure.  He’s not the most athletic, far from it, and he’s not the most talented, but he works very hard at his craft.  I’ve been saying it for at least 5 years, he’s the smartest boxer I’ve ever seen.  When he winds up to throw a power punch, it’s pretty much a guarantee that it’ll land.  And if you do manage to hurt him, which I’ve only seen in the Gamboa fight, he comes back with rage.  And I only say he got hurt because he got hit so hard.  But he came back energized.   Never seen him actually get rocked, which will help him in these later years of his career.  Did you notice that the few times Spence connected clean it didn’t even phase Crawford?  Right now there’s no chance of Crawford extending his career too long and suffering brain damage.  Crazy that he’s achieved so much without a high profile trainer.  He’s hardcore local.  I think he’s surpassed Floyd Mayweather jr at this point, and I look forward to seeing him taking more big fights at the end of his career and making his argument as the greatest boxer of all time.  He reminds me of Tyson, not because they are similar in style, but because when you see a Crawford fight you expect him to get a knockout.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

@DiP, Casimero hitting new lows with his latest fight if the rumor is true. Going to Japan in October to fight Yukinori Oguni who is coming out of retirement. I think I've seen 1 fight of Oguni & it was highlights of him getting beat down by Iwasa. The same Iwasa who knocked down Tapales 2 or 3 times and got the TKO against him. Iwasa also knocked out Genesis Servania, so no shame in that but this should be a walk in the park for Casimero but don't see how this fight sets him up for anything in the future? He's 34 yrs old already and seems he's wasted his best opportunity for a title shot. I really hope this is just a rumor.

Also, I've been keeping an eye on Subaru Murata. The Japanese southpaw has some power and heavy hands and good to see Teiken and TR bringing him along slowly.

Screenshot_2023-08-01 OLE on Twitter.png

According to RingTV, Inoue will stay at 122 after his fight with Tapales to defend his title before moving up. Highly likely mandatories are Luis Nery, and John Riel Casimero.

https://www.ringtv.com/656542-naoya-inoue-plans-to-remain-at-122-pounds-and-reign-as-undisputed-champion-for-at-least-one-defense/

3 hours ago, DiP said:

According to RingTV, Inoue will stay at 122 after his fight with Tapales to defend his title before moving up. Highly likely mandatories are Luis Nery, and John Riel Casimero.

https://www.ringtv.com/656542-naoya-inoue-plans-to-remain-at-122-pounds-and-reign-as-undisputed-champion-for-at-least-one-defense/

Can't wait for the revenge tour. Inoue can get revenge for Yamanaka by beating Nery & then dispose of Casimero and show him who's a Japanese turtle. If he can only do 1 mandatory before moving up, I'd prefer Nery. Let Casimero languish without the big payday. But unfortunately , Nery is banned from ever fighting in Japan , so just from a purse perspective it might be Casimero. Inoue has a bit of a name now after the Fulton fight, so hopefully he can draw a big crowd out here in either Vegas or Carson. Then move up to 126 & take on Robeisy.

Edited by Yihetuan
meant Robeisy not Figueroa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Can't wait for the revenge tour. Inoue can get revenge for Yamanaka by beating Nery & then dispose of Casimero and show him who's a Japanese turtle. If he can only do 1 mandatory before moving up, I'd prefer Nery. Let Casimero languish without the big payday. But unfortunately , Nery is banned from ever fighting in Japan , so just from a purse perspective it might be Casimero. Inoue has a bit of a name now after the Fulton fight, so hopefully he can draw a big crowd out here in either Vegas or Carson. Then move up to 126 & take on Robeisy.

Yeah, would love to see Inoue shut haters once and for all yet again, this time biased Filipino fans who endlessly keeps begging Inoue to fight Casimero, who doesn't even deserve a title fight right now.

Why is Nery banned from fighting in Japan? What did he do?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiP said:

Yeah, would love to see Inoue shut haters once and for all yet again, this time biased Filipino fans who endlessly keeps begging Inoue to fight Casimero, who doesn't even deserve a title fight right now.

Why is Nery banned from fighting in Japan? What did he do?

He was caught with PEDs and then with the rematch against Yamanaka, he failed to make weight. Two time loser.

https://www.ringtv.com/514971-wbc-nery-tested-positive-banned-substance-yamanaka-fight/

https://www.ringtv.com/530936-japan-boxing-commission-bans-luis-nery-life/

Great Mexican style boxing over the weekend with the Cowboy Navarette taking on former champ Oscar Valdez. Good to see legends Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera in the crowd too and giving their post-fight analysis. Navarette gets hit a lot but he rarely shows any damage to his face, blessed to have that tough skin lol

Emmanuel Rodriguez also fought over the weekend taking on Melvin Lopez for the IBF 118lb title. E-Rod can now unify the division if he beats Santiago who took out Donaire. I've always been high on Rodriguez and thought he would be a credible World Champion but unfortunately he got put in with Inoue at the WBSS and then got robbed against Reymart Gaballo.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Great Mexican style boxing over the weekend with the Cowboy Navarette taking on former champ Oscar Valdez. Good to see legends Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera in the crowd too and giving their post-fight analysis. Navarette gets hit a lot but he rarely shows any damage to his face, blessed to have that tough skin lol

Just watching the highlights already gives an action-packed vibe. Pure explosiveness from start to finish. Valdez did marvelous with the heart of his. Navarrete is something else though. Incredible combos, and all done with that insane reach!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DiP said:

Just watching the highlights already gives an action-packed vibe. Pure explosiveness from start to finish. Valdez did marvelous with the heart of his. Navarrete is something else though. Incredible combos, and all done with that insane reach!

yes, he's truly blessed with that reach. Just like Tommy Hearns and Sonny Liston who have huge "ape" indexes (not a racial term but used to denote the height to arm length ratio).

• Like 1

Jizzmaster Jerry

Crawford vs Spence 2- I except a boring fight.  If Spence has any sense he’s gonna play it safe this time around and be a lot more patient.  Crawford wins most rounds.  Easy decision.  

sifu iron perm
4 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I'm not a boxing fan but what are your opinions on all these Youtuber boxing fights? Good or bad for the sport?

Entertainment not Sport to a degree.

No quality boxing background etc. White collar but sensationalised.

• Like 2

Jizzmaster Jerry

Jake Paul has improved a lot with his boxing.  If he sticks with it he could be ranked soon. But it’s just a sideshow, and I’m surprised every time when a fight is announced and people want to see it.  He only fights washed up MMA fighters, in boxing matches.  And the one boxer he did face he lost to Tommy Fury, who is a boxer with talent but not somebody who is expected to ever compete for a championship.  

• Like 1

Tomorrow is Joyce vs Zhang 2. Joe came in quite a bit heavier this time around and claims his eye is completely healed. Zhang also is heavier than the first fight and says he's targeting Joe's eye again. How do you see it playing out? I don't see Zhang getting a decision if the fight is close. Just look at the ridiculous scorecards from the first fight. Zhang has to go for the KO because too much is riding on Joyce winning this fight and setting up a Fury match down the road. My prediction is the same as the first one - if Joe can take Zhang into the deep rounds, Joyce will win. If Zhang cracks Joyce early again and starts swelling up the eye then the odds favor Zhang to get a KO or TKO.

• Like 1

JFC man, what the hell did Joyce do during his camp? Looked like he made no adjustments & took a worse arse whipping than the 1st. :punch

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

JFC man, what the hell did Joyce do during his camp? Looked like he made no adjustments & took a worse arse whipping than the 1st. :punch

I personally don’t think he had a great camp,putting on 2 stone when in the previous fight you weighed 18 stone and still looked slow was not ideal.Putting extra weight on was not gonna make you move better and if this was the plan he needs to fire his training team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I personally don’t think he had a great camp,putting on 2 stone when in the previous fight you weighed 18 stone and still looked slow was not ideal.Putting extra weight on was not gonna make you move better and if this was the plan he needs to fire his training team.

His trainer Ishmael Salas is considered one of the best but yeah, his camp really dropped the ball. Listening to Salas in his corner after round 2 reeked of desperation. I know Joyce got a lot of criticism that he was too small in the first fight but like you said, adding a bunch of excess weight considering how slow Joyce is already was the wrong strategy.

Anyway, it's a damn shame that Top Rank Boxing spent a lot of time propping up another Chinese heavyweight, Taishan Dong who was a complete stiff and a bum. Imagine if they would've built up Big Bang instead.

• Like 1

I watched Tyson Vs Holyfield a while back and the ear biting is so gross! I think Holyfield's reaction makes it even worse and you can feel his pain! I thought the ref was cool and took no shit from Tyson.

I was surprised Tyson tried it a second time! Can't stand the guy.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Haha 1

Anyone caught the Tyson Fury Vs Frank Ngannou fight yesterday? Word is that Ngannou got robbed.

Best thing about the whole thing was just seeing legends and high profile names in both boxing and MMA as well as other celebrities gather together to witness the event.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

6 hours ago, DiP said:

Anyone caught the Tyson Fury Vs Frank Ngannou fight yesterday? Word is that Ngannou got robbed.

Best thing about the whole thing was just seeing legends and high profile names in both boxing and MMA as well as other celebrities gather together to witness the event.

I had Fury by 1 round but I wouldn’t have argued if they gave it to Ngannou.Fury was awful,he looked out of shape(he needs a bra for his lower back)and didn’t look that interested.As for the greats at the event,god knows what they thought of Fury especially the former heavyweights champs Holmes,Holyfield,Lewis and Tyson.He doesn’t come close to those greats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

David Benavidez Vs Demetrius Andrade was on yesterday. Despite the big names, I was never a big fan of the middleweight division but this one looks fire! I'll have to catch the whole fight somehow.

• Like 2

I was never that high on Boo Boo. Like the majority felt the outcome of this fight would proceed in the manner it played out. Andrade definitely has boxing skills and a handspeed advantage over Benavidez but who has he ever beaten? 30 opponents and NOT a single world champion or ex-world champion. Been a pro since 2008 and has fought ZERO top 5 ranked opponents and only 2 top 10 opponents in 15 years! Plus he's not an exciting fighter or entertaining and been in more than a few duds even if he did get his arm raised in victory over sub-par competition. Didn't he also duck his mandatory against Jermell Charlo a couple years ago claiming he wasn't happy with his cut of the purse?

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Mark Magsayo fought yesterday, debuting at 130, against Mexico's Isaac Avelar knocking him out in round 3. I would like to see him take on tougher opponents in that division to prove his worth.

Overall, Filipino boxing has been making a bit of noise in Japan and the US lately, with new prospects emerging.

One such prospect is currently drawing attention, and is being labelled "the future of Filipino Boxing": The undefeated Lienard "The Matrix" Sarcon. He made his US debut yesterday fighting former Jonas Sultan opponent Frank Gonzalez winning the fight. Dude has got real potential technically, defensively and offensively. I'm definitely keeping an eye.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

I'll have to keep an eye on Sarcon. I've been taking note of some prospects like the southpaw bantam Llover boy who I believe is managed by former champ, Penalosa.

The Devin Haney vs Regis Prograis fight was a one sided beatdown and I actually switched over to the much more exciting Robeisy Ramirez vs Espinoza fight.

Damn, 6' 1" and 126lbs? That's some freakish weight cut.  TR was setting up Robeisy for an eventual unification showdown with Inoue and that might still happen but he's definitely has to rematch Espinoza.

One fight I'm excited about Saturday is Bam Rodriguez vs Sunny Edwards. Sunny has the best mouth in the biz and I was cracking up at the allegations he leveled at Bam during the press conference about cheating and being a weight bully. I want to see Bam move up and take on Junto Nakatani. Junto has been calling out Bam for awhile and that would be a nice scrap but I think Nakatani will be too much for him especially with the height advantage.

• Like 1

New Filipino prospect Eman Bacosa, allegedly the illegitimate son of Manny Pacquiao, entered his second pro fight three days ago at an event called Blow by Blow hosted by Manny himself. He won the fight against Noel Pangantao via TKO in round 1. Bacosa's debut, which took place in September 23, was met with controversy when Bacosa won the fight via SD against Jommel Cudiamat. The majority felt that Cudiamat came out better, and was robbed.

Speaking of the Pacquiao family tree, I came across this post-fight interview with Manny's younger brother Bobby, who at the time was fighting his brother's former opponent Hector Velazquez. The fight ended with Bobby being disqualified for two low blows, and Velazquez winning.

I've acknowledged Bobby for years but never actually seen any of his fights. Watching Manny and then watching Bobby, it's totally night and day difference comparing them both. So there's no need explaining why Bobby wasn't as popular as his brother. However, Bobby is now famous (apart from being Manny's brother) for this post-fight interview. It's so hilarious and infectious you can't get enough of it. Ironically, his nickname was "The Sniper" which makes the interview even funnier to watch.

Bobby went on to fight five more times before retiring from the sport. He's now a politician in his native General Santos City.

Edited by DiP
  • Haha 2