The Official Boxing Thread

DiP

I'm pretty certain many of you guys follow or, at least, watch a couple of hyped boxing matches every now and then.

Anyway, currently trending... *SMH*

231409235_3024111601167533_6840039644393

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

To be honest from what I’ve seen these past few weeks,Spencer’s eye just hasn’t looked right so I think it’s probably right to call it off.Have you seen the clips where when he blinks the one eye lid reacts really slowly?Something definitely up.

• Like 3

Nah, not buying it. If the injury is true than there's more to all this than just that. Pac is now going to face Yordenis Ugas, who was supposed to face Fabian Maidana on the undercard. Maidana backed out due to an eye injury just one day (Monday) before Spence announced his withdrawal (Tuesday) due to the same injury... It can't be coincidence. There's also the thing of Pac having one week (total BS) to prepare for Ugas, without any settlement on changing the fight date (it's still on August 21). Pac, with all the training and focus on Spence... It's been for nothing, and for the wrong opponent. This leads me to believe that Ugas was training for Pac all along, with Spence and Maidana as decoys.

I don't want to say this but it looks like Pac is getting screwed over once again, this time by Al Hamon. Spence is PBC's undefeated champion and cash cow so Hamon wouldn't put Spence's record on the line by facing an older yet more experienced fighter, who still has power and speed.

Boxing is looking real bad right now, with all cancelations of big match-ups this year... Too much politics and money on stake.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

Double disappointed since this weekend's title fight between another Filipino & Cuban (John Riel Casimero and Guillermo Rigondeaux) also had a cancellation. I was so excited to see an all pinoy matchup between Casimero and "Filipino Flash" Donaire but accusations of Casimero not being properly VADA tested and personal attacks between both camps nixed that fight. I just want a good fight and I hope the "jackal" still has some fight in those 40 yr old bones. It would be great to see Casimero take on the P4P best fighter in the division, Naoya "Monster" Inoue sometime early next year to unify the division.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Rigondeaux vs Casimero is back on though so there's nothing to worry about. Inoue vs Casimero is the fight boxing fans want but rank-wise, Casimero need to go through Donaire first. That is, IF he defeats Rigondeaux. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

11 minutes ago, DiP said:

Rigondeaux vs Casimero is back on though so there's nothing to worry about. Inoue vs Casimero is the fight boxing fans want but rank-wise, Casimero need to go through Donaire first. That is, IF he defeats Rigondeaux. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

That's what I mean. I didn't want to see Rigo vs Casimero. I wanted to see Casimero vs Donaire as I'm sure most Filipino fans. I know the original fight was Rigo vs Casimero but Arum gave Rigo step aside money to let the two filipinos fight but all that went to shit. I didn't follow the twitter beef between Casimero's camp and Rachel Donaire but I find it hypocritical that Filipino fans don't call out Casimero's strength and conditioning coach, Memo Heredia considering he has a very sketchy past with PEDs and was Marquez's coach with those "protein shakes" when he knocked out Pac.

But I agree that this weekend's fight is very important for the 118lb division. It will cement Casimero as a legit threat to Inoue if he wins in convincing fashion. I admit that I'm not a fan of Casmiero's loud and brash trash talking especially calling Inoue the "Japanese turtle" and would love to see Inoue make Casimero quit with his trademark liver & body shots.

• Like 3

I'm usually not into showboating but Casimero makes it entertaining. He has been like this since trying to secure a fight with Inoue a few years back.

• Like 3

Yeah, his English is improving ever since he moved into Sean "Knucklehead" Gibbons' son's house & his interpreter, Marc Yao must've been helping him with some lessons too. Quadro Alas is an "all gas, no brakes" boxer but I don't think he's technically as strong as either Donaire or Inoue and even if he gets by Rigondeaux, I still favor both Donaire & Inoue to beat him. I'm disappointed that Adrianna is covered up in that interview. Usually she is showing off her ample wares as she knows what gets hits and views on her channel but I do like that top. It almost looks like a qipao lol.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 2

Terrible boring fight. I expected Rigondeaux to do a mayweather and fight a purely defensive fight but Casimero did nothing to cut off the ring and waited too late to let his hands go. Rigo was just loading up for the counter left hook and even then, he barely threw it. Inoue beats both of them fairly easy IMHO.

Also very disappointed the undercard fight between Rodriguez and Russell Jr was stopped due to the accidental headbutt. Just a terrible card all around. I did enjoy watching local boy, Brandun Lee demolish his opponent to extend his KO streak to 18 but he needs to step up and stop fighting cans.

I went back and forth watching the Ortiz vs Lithuanian fighter. Virgil Ortiz looks the real deal. The welterweight division is stacked up young guns with Ortiz the best of the bunch along with Ennis & Nigel Benn's son.

I had no interest in watching the Moloney vs Franco trilogy fight. Although Moloney got hosed in the second fight & it should be a barn burner.

• Like 3

sifu iron perm

i thought Rigondeaux Rigondeaux 's skills with footwork and lateral movement for the entire 12 rounds was superb especially for a 42 yr old fighter..amazing but unfortunately his punch land output was poor..

Yes, it was a terrible match up overall, i preferred the Virgil Ortiz vs Mean Machine fight on other channel! Very good fight and showing from Ortiz. 

• Like 2

Something always bothered me about Casimero's promoter, Sean Gibbons. He's always twitchy and rubbing his nose like he's coked up all the time. JRC has to take some of the blame for the lackluster fight too. Even when Rigo was standing there in the center of the ring, JRC didn't let his hands go outside of the first round. I'm not sure of the compubox numbers but I think it was something like less than 50 punches connected by both fighters during the whole fight! do the math and that's 4 punches per round! Absolutely disgraceful for a championship title fight.

• Like 2

The Rigo vs Casimero fight was boring. Rigo went the distance and didn't engage much, maybe that uppercut from Cas got him spooked and decided to let Cas fight his fight. Cas didn't do much either. As much as his skills are admirable, the guy needs to improve adjustments instead of going forward (he does that often). His biggest problem was that he had a hard time cutting off the ring to get to Rigo. Overall, this was a close but disappointing fight and I agree with the split decision. Cas was the aggressor and engaged more in comparison. Hope to see Cas do better in his next fights.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

So what upcoming fights are you guys looking forward to/excited about other than the obvious one next week? I'm looking forward to Benavides vs Uzcategui (sp?), teofimo Lopez vs Kambosos Jr after Covid nixed their earlier matchup and Stephen Fulton vs Brandon Figueroa looks good too. I was surprised how he dismantled Pantera Nery with the body punches. Of course, the heavyweight showdown between Usyk vs Joshua in late September.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiP said:

One upcoming fight that got me excited is Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter. 

I know that fight was ordered by the WBO and have 30 days to negotiate a deal or it will go to a purse bid and Arum is saying all the right things & Haymon has green lit the bout but I still have my doubts.

• Like 3

Y'all probably already know by now but I still don't want spoil for everyone else that wasn't able to watch the fight live... The decision was right and what a FIGHT!!! Pac only earns my utmost respect now... What a performance for an aging boxing veteran! He's nearly 43 years old and past his prime, but showed tremendous heart coming into the fight and that he's a definite hall of famer!

Spoiler

I think it's time for him to hang the gloves, and let the young guns run the show... Congrats to Ugas for a great performance as well, Ugas may not have as much time, being 35 years old, but he showed that he's got what it takes to be a world champion. Looking forward to see him versus Spence and other great contenders.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

Props to Manny and if this was his last legit/sanctioned fight, then he can go out into sunset with his head held high and he's definitely one of the all-time greats of any era. Congrats to Ugas especially considering the circumstances of taking the fight on short notice. At least this Cuban came to fight unlike last week. Joking aside, Rigo is a unbelievably skilled boxer with amazing natural ability but he just doesn't have the "it" factor other boxers with his skills possess like Floyd, Sugar Ray Leonard, Sweet Pea in their prime.

There was also an absolute vicious highlight reel KO on the undercard between Mark Magsayo and Julio Ceja in the 10th round. I believe Magsayo is now the #1 contender for Gary Russell Jr's title. So the Filipino fans don't go home completely disconsolate and can now pin their hopes on Quadro Alas, Magsayo and Reymart Gaballo (although he got a gift his last fight).

• Like 4

Another prospect I was keeping an eye on the undercard is Mexican southpaw "Rayo" Valenzuela. I first noticed him when they made a big deal of him dropping Teofimo Lopez in sparring and the story goes that Teo's father didn't like it and had words with Benavidez but anyway, his opponent, Strayhorn came in on short notice and was game. But Rayo just has too much firepower and heavy hands. He's one to definitely watch out for in the future.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

There was also an absolute vicious highlight reel KO on the undercard between Mark Magsayo and Julio Ceja in the 10th round. I believe Magsayo is now the #1 contender for Gary Russell Jr's title.

I totally forgot about Magsayo... I was so overwhelmed with Pacquiao's fight that I didn't think of anything else. But I think Magsayo's fight was one of the highlights (along with Guerrero vs Ortiz). That TKO was vicious! I'm gonna be looking out for him in the future.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2021 at 12:57 PM, DiP said:

I totally forgot about Magsayo... I was so overwhelmed with Pacquiao's fight that I didn't think of anything else. But I think Magsayo's fight was one of the highlights (along with Guerrero vs Ortiz). That TKO was vicious! I'm gonna be looking out for him in the future.

Yup, absolutely devastating knockout. I hope he can fight Gary Russell Jr but I think the fight he had planned with Rey Vargas is back on again. I'm not sure though. I don't know what the hold up is on that fight? Speaking of Rey Vargas, one of the funniest moments for me was during his presser with Tomoki Kameda when Kameda challenged him to a Mexican style brawl. Kameda is fluent in Spanish, so it made it all the funnier. :rofl

• Like 2

Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter is happening on November 20. Both Top Rank and PBC will lead the main event marking few of their first attempted collaborations, the other being Fury vs Wilder 3.

I didn't expect this to be realized but it's great for boxing! I've been a big fan of Porter since the Spence fight, and being more so now after watching some of his previous fights, such as the Thurman and Ugas fights.

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/32207808/sources-terence-crawford-shawn-porter-strike-deal-nov-20-welterweight-title-bout

Edited by DiP
  • Like 5