Flying over grass 1970 and The fist that kills (Ninja fist of fire) 1972

ShawAngela

Question

Looking at hkmdb in order to find the "real title" of Ninja fist of fire, I saw that Chang Ching Ching is cast as "Flying over grass", so, I took a look to this movie as well and saw that she plays the same role. I also searched using the Chinese titles, and she really plays the same role, so,I wonder if these two movies could be related.

I watched Flying over grass a long while ago and I just finished to watch The fist that kills, and except that Chang Ching Ching wears the same clothes and plays a righteous heroine, as I don't remember the plot of Flying over grass, I can't say if the two movies are related or not.

Does anyone have any idea regarding this matter ? Maybe someone who watched these movies in Chinese ?

The translation of Chang Ching Ching's Chinese name in the movie is really Fly over grass...

• Like 4

7 answers to this question

Chen Hung Lieh

Can't give you a definitive answer, but it would not surprise me if she's the same character. I would love to find a Mandarin version of "Flying Over Grass", I only know of the Italian dubbed vhs.
Chang Ching-Ching played her role from Joseph Kuo's "Sorrowful To a Ghost" also in a movie from a different director (Paid with Blood), even though it does, as far as my half-knowledge goes, not officially belong to Kuo's trilogy with "Ghost Sword" and "Matchless Conqueror". Also Yi Yuan played his "Shao Mu-Tian" role in at least three other movies that are not related to Sorrowful To a Ghost (if "Paid with Blood" were an official sequel of "Sorrowful", then Yi Yuan's role in the latter would have been only  Shao Mu-Tian's brother, I wonder if Kuo would have agreed to it), Chang Ching-Ching was blind in "Paid with Blood", so I was curious if she played the same character in "Seizure Soul Sword of a Blind Girl", but this time it turned out she was called differently :)

Edited by Chen Hung Lieh
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Chen Hung Lieh said:

Can't give you a definitive answer, but it would not surprise me if she's the same character. I would love to find a Mandarin version of "Flying Over Grass", I only know of the Italian dubbed vhs.
Chang Ching-Ching played her role from Joseph Kuo's "Sorrowful To a Ghost" also in a movie from a different director (Paid with Blood), even though it does, as far as my half-knowledge goes, not officially belong to Kuo's trilogy with "Ghost Sword" and "Matchless Conqueror". Also Yi Yuan played his "Shao Mu-Tian" role in at least three other movies that are not related to Sorrowful To a Ghost (if "Paid with Blood" were an official sequel of "Sorrowful", then Yi Yuan's role in the latter would have been only  Shao Mu-Tian's brother, I wonder if Kuo would have agreed to it), Chang Ching-Ching was blind in "Paid with Blood", so I was curious if she played the same character in "Seizure Soul Sword of a Blind Girl", but this time it turned out she was called differently :)

Thanks ! Yes, I noticed that Yi Yuan played a similar role in several movies, but I didn't know that Paid with blood was an unofficial sequel to Sorrowful to a ghost. I don't really remember the plots of Ghost sword and Matchless conqueror. Are they really connected to Sorrowful to a ghost ? I remember that when I watched them years ago after having heard that they were a trilogy, I wasn't so sure of that after watching the two others, or at least one of the two others, I forgot which one.

Isn't the English subbed version of Flying over grass done by @NoKUNGFUforYU from a Mandarin language version ?

Maybe that you are right regarding all these movies that might be related to each others, but since we only have English or other language dubbed versions, maybe we loose some explanations on how the plots are related in the Mandarin language movies.

• Like 2

I wonder if Chang Ching Ching alos played Cao Shang Fei (Fly over Grass) also in the movie The Patriotic Heroine, since she wears the same clothes in this movie as well :

ThePatrioticHeroine+1971-1-b.jpg

• Like 2

Chen Hung Lieh
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't really remember the plots of Ghost sword and Matchless conqueror. Are they really connected to Sorrowful to a ghost ?

Yes, they are,

Spoiler

In the second part "Ghost's sword" Chiang Nan played Shao Mu-Tian's brother (which contradicts the story of "Paid with Blood"). It's been a while since I watched it, if I remember right, Chiang Nan surprisingly was not so much after revenge for his brother, but rather after taking back the soul-seizing sword from the "School of Endurance", and seemed kind of acknowledge that Mu-Tian was a villain. Although opponent of the good ones, he was not a real villain, so it's no surprise he turned into the main hero in "Matchless". In "Ghost's Sword" he appeared to die by falling from the cliff, and "Matchless Conqueror" begins with a shot of his fall which he survives.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Isn't the English subbed version of Flying over grass done by @NoKUNGFUforYU from a Mandarin language version ?

I got my raw subtitled version from him (I also contributed some timings later), it was the Italian vhs.

Never watched "Fist That Kills", didn't even know it's a Wuxia. Always took it for a ninja basher when I bumped into a dvd picture^^ As for Patriotic Heroine, i watched this years ago and forgot everything. I remember someone told me that there was a connection to some other movie.

Edited by Chen Hung Lieh
  • Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

Yes, the Flying Over Grass is Italian, and I the best I could with using a voice translator and google subs. Took a long time. Good flick and it would be awesome to find a better print. Cheung is fierce in that movie, and some of the scenes are very atmospheric.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Yes, the Flying Over Grass is Italian, and I the best I could with using a voice translator and google subs. Took a long time. Good flick and it would be awesome to find a better print. Cheung is fierce in that movie, and some of the scenes are very atmospheric.

Did you watch the two others too ?

• Like 2