Female fighters...

Guest moviegyrl

Guest moviegyrl

How well do these fighters perform on screen? Rate them from 5 (greatest) to 1 (least).

"Moon" Lee Choi Fung

Yukari Oshima

Michelle Yeoh

Cynthia Rothrock

Michiko Nishiwaki

Thanks! 8)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

Let's see, martial arts wise this is how I would rate them:

Moon Lee - 2

Yukari Oshima - 5

Michelle Yeoh -4

Cynthia Rothrock - 5

Michiko Nishiwaki - 3

By the way moviegyrl, please list your ratings, don't be shy. ;)

Guest Chen Zhen

Moon Lee - 3.5 (havent seen enuff moon lee to judge)

Yukari Oshima - 6 (thats right, 6)

Michelle Yeoh -4

Cynthia Rothrock - 4

Michiko Nishiwaki - 3

Guest moviegyrl

Perhaps, I should have asked that you place them in descending order from 5 (greatest) to 1 (least). :o

Anyhoo... This is my rating per on-screen performances:

5 - Yukari Oshima

4 - Cynthia Rothrock

3 - Moon Lee (see KICKBOXER'S TEARS; IRON ANGELS, aka: MIDNITE ANGELS; ANGELS 2; ANGELS 3; she was trained by Lau Kar Leung!)

2 - Michelle Yeoh

1 - Michiko Nishiwaki (always seemed to be a 'poser'; wasn't she a national kickboxing champion, though?)

Guest palplathune

Moon was not trained by Lau Kar Leung but by Tsui Siu Ming.

As for Michiko, she won body building contest and learned martial arts later.

Yep, Michiko was a bodybuilder, she's the weakest on-screen fighter in the bunch, although she's my second favourite GWG (after Moon Lee). In Hero Dream's finale she fights a Thai thug and she has a very short series of kicks/punches - like, 2 secondes or so, but it looks so powerful and blazingly fast/

The best, of course is Yukari, but she mostly played relatively small bits

Then I woud say, goes Moon

Cynthia Rothrock would be the next. Best roles - Yes, madam! and Magic Chrystal. Her strongest side is weaponry. (Also, she's a horrible actress.At least, she was. See her in Karate Tigers 2 - she speaks English there and her lines delivery is just laughable.

Michelle was very talented and could've gone very far as an onscreen fighter, but she just didn't do many MA films

Why are we talking about these 5 girls? What about the rest?

Guest kungfusamurai

Yukari Oshima

Moon Lee

Michelle Yeoh

Cynthia Rothrock

Michiko Nishiwaki

I put Cynthia Rothrock near the bottom because her fight scenes are sadly heavily body-doubled. I've rarely seen the top 3 ladies above get body doubled.

KFS

Guest Chen Zhen

as far as order, i'd go:

Yukari Oshima

Michelle Yeoh

Moon Lee

Cynthia Rothrock

Michiko Nishiwaki

Rothrock is great with weapons, and has some good forms, but her kicks arent very sharp. shes a tad stiff in her punches and kicks, but as far as weapons, she wins, with michelle comin second. and kfs makes a good point, shes heavily doubled.

Guest DragonMa55

Yukari Oshima. No contest.

Moon Lee. Very fast. She definitely moves like a dancer (which of course, she was) and there's definitely power behind her kicks and punches.

Cynthia Rothrock. Alright, I admit it, I'm biased, yes, she get's doubled alot and she can look stiff but her fight against Dick Wei in Yes Madam still floors me and she had a pretty good fight against Yuen Biao in Righting Wrongs, she didn't look stiff there at all.

Michiko Nishiwaki. She has power from her background in bodybuilding and she can look quite fluid in her movements.

Michelle Yeoh. Never been a fan, sorry, anyone has a problem with that, bring it on.

Where does Joyce Godenzi, Sharon Yeung Pan Pan and Kara Hui fit into this list?

Guest theportlykicker

Man, so much love for Yukari Oshima. I've never really seen why. To me, her form was always a bit iffy, like she used to kick a lot with a bent leg, or, because her legs are quite short, she sometimes looked like she was over stretching just to reach her opponent, making her kicks look weak. Don't get me wrong, these are just small(ish) complaints, and I still think she's good, but I'd put Joyce Godenzi and Moon Lee ahead of her.

Guest moviegyrl

On Joyce Godenzi...It's been so long since I last saw EASTERN CONDORS that I have forgotten her fight scenes (in fact, I don't remember any at all). I have yet to see SHE SHOOTS STRAIGHT.

I'm unfamiliar with Sharon Yeung Pan Pan and Kara Hui.

Of course, there are many fighters that could have been added. But, I limited my list to those who I remember from '80s flicks (having omitted Cynthia Khan/Yang).

Please feel free to discuss others! 8)

Guest Yi Long

Weird to hear Cynthia Rothrock is iffy with kicks, as she's very flexible ... (well...she is when she's in my bedroom...)

Anyway, my one and only fighting female is Kara Hui. Just love her to bits. She has it all: the skill, the amazing look, just drop dead sexy.

I especially like her look in Rosa.

Guest kungfusamurai

Here's my list if we throw Joyce Godenzi and Kara Hui in the mix:

Yukari Oshima

Moon Lee

Kara Hui - it's almost a three way tie at the top

Michelle Yeoh

Cynthia Rothrock -her acting is also a problem for me :)

Joyce Godenzi

Michiko Nishiwaki

KFS

Guest Liu chung liang

geez a lot of you keep bringing up the same ladiez. Cynthia Khan and Brigitte Lin are pretty good.

Joyce... she's one tough cookie. i wouldn't want to date her... get on her bad side, and she might use her hunting knife on me. :lol

Well from a screen fighting and martial arts standpoint...

1. Yukari Oshima-karate champ...can do some acrobatics...excellent rhythem style...Badass. Not that attractive tho.

2. Michelle Yeoh- this girl can punch pretty well and has made the transition from ballarena to fighting quite well-good in modern films as well as period pieces. My personal favorite as she is quite skilled, articulate, and attractive.

3. Sharon Yeung Pan Pan- Wow peking opera produces talent...very flexible, gorgeous, and can do the choreography and long takes. Not incredibly well know, but a good performer.

4. Cynthia Rothrock- she's got skills, but she's limited and not very acrobatic. She's got some charisma even tho her acting is quite wooden. I loved her mantis fist in Magic Crystal.

5. Moon Lee- pixie faced cutie...more cute than anything really, but in the hands of a sharp choreographer she looks tough. Her kicks are too pretty for their own good.

6. Cynthia Khan-toooooo slow and it shows...even wo ping couldn't save her. Needs undercranking. Beautiful, charismatic, and she can act and has had an incredible shelf life.

Should'eve been stars:

Kim Maree Penn-great martial artist...and fairly attractive. Very impressed with her skills.

Jewel Lee- she was the evil girl from naked weapon with Maggie Q. Abviously some sort of wushu champ, but with the face of an angel. She can punch, kick, and JUMP. Would make an excellent villian.

Guest Yakuza954

theportlykicker, I think the appeal with Yukari Oshima is that she was able to shine despite being in a lot of low budget flicks. She had a lot of badass, memorable roles to go along with her fighting skills.

My scores:

Yukari Oshima-5

Kara Hui-5

Moon Lee-5 (only fair to give her a 5 if Oshima gets a 5, both seemed to have their best fights against each other)

Joyce Godenzi-4 (would be higher if she made more movies)

Michelle Yeoh-4

Cynthia Khan-4 (my personal favorite moment of hers is at the end of Deadend of Beseigers, where it looks like she breaks out of character and is smiling, having fun while kicking a bunch of bad guys asses)

Cynthia Rothrock-4

Michiko Nishiwaki- Haven't seen enough to make a judgement, but always seemed to do more posturing than fighting.

Guest theportlykicker
I think the appeal with Yukari Oshima is that she was able to shine despite being in a lot of low budget flicks

It's mostly in those low budget films where I thought she looked bad. Maybe it's down to the bad choreographers, cos I quite like her in higher budget films where she's being choreographed by someone good. I just find her performences really inconsistent.

Guest Yakuza954
It's mostly in those low budget films where I thought she looked bad. Maybe it's down to the bad choreographers, cos I quite like her in higher budget films where she's being choreographed by someone good. I just find her performences really inconsistent.

How many big budget films did she really make? All I can think of is Millionare's Express and possibly her Frankie Chan work. The rest of her work is low budget, and that's where most of her best fighting is.

Archived