Kate (2021)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Another week, another female-led action flick from a streaming service.

This one actually looks quite good though. But then so did Gunpowder Milkshake....

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 3

I'm gonna say it out loud. I'm starting to feel a certain desperation from studios when it comes to female action heroes. Nothing wrong with it if executed well. As for the trailer yeah it does looks pretty good. But what's up with the weak kicking? 

@Drunken Monk Glad I skipped Gunpowder Milkshake.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

I wished everytime some individual or entity feels the need to start these kind of "controversies" through social media their head would explode. Wouldn't that just make the world instantly a better place. Or maybe it's just me.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

Drunken Monk
4 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Granted, I haven't seen the movie yet but villains have to exist and, as much as some people don't like it, the Yakuza is typically considered villainous. As are white supremacists and South Central gangbangers. Isn't that just a rule of life? Villains exist, no matter how stereotypical they may seem? Are Mark Dacascos, Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman considered stereotypical because they're seemingly "typical" Japanese villain in John Wick 3?

Again, I haven't seen the movie so I may very well be talking out of my arse.

• Like 2

The thing is, Hollywood (both the mainstream and DTV circuits) produce so many action films and "thrillers" that there is really only so much you can do. Sometimes, it'll be the Chinese Triads, sometimes the Japanese yakuza, sometimes the Russia mafia, sometimes "the mob" (i.e. the Italians), sometimes Colombian drug lords, sometimes Muslim fundamentalists, etc. Once in a while, you may even get a combination of above (i.e. War; A Dangerous Man; Brother; etc.). And I'm pretty sure that Hollywood has done more Eurotrash villains in the past few years than Yakuza, so it's not like it is the Yakuza are always the villains.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I got through watching this one over the weekend, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF. Check it out via the link - 

https://cityonfire.com/kate-2021-review-netflix-mary-elizabeth-winstead/

Nice review @One Armed Boxer. I actually liked it a lot more than you did and I'd actually rank Kate as one of the best films I've seen this year. I found it stylish, well plotted and the action to be pretty fantastic. Mary Elizabeth Winstead really elevated the movie.

Granted, it's not exactly There Will Be Blood, but it's a highly enjoyable action thriller in my eyes. Certainly better than all other female fronted movies to hit streaming service as of late.

• Like 3

I thought this was very average at best. Some nice kills but that's it as far as I'm concerned.

The predictable plot and boring characters didn't help this much either. What the movie benefits from is its neon lit setting of Japan.

Mary Elizabeth as Kate was okay. At least she seemed to have a blast to play a killer babe. As for the rest of the cast Woody Harrelson although barely in the movie delivers as usual. Unfortunately another character sharing quite some screen time is utterly annoying, Ani. Not to mention Miku Martineau struggles to really deliver any worthwhile performance as the foul-mouthed teenage delinquent.

For me this is just another one of those run of the mill actioner trying to emulate the intensity and violence of far superior movies such as John Wick for example.

But since Netflix seems to have an infinite budget I'm sure this won't be the last time with some familiar faces gracing one of their poster.

I'd recommend just watching this for a few good kills. The rest which makes up for most of the movie can easily be skipped and ultimately forgotten right after.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

Though perhaps a bit stretched, Kate was a surprisingly pleasing slice of female revenge action making good use of its catchy visuals, kawaii aesthetics and fun soundtrack. Mary Elizabeth Winstead fits the role perfectly, more so than Karen Gillian in Gunpowder Milkshake, and seeing J-cinema titans such as Jun Kunimura and Tadanobu Asano, or even a Japanese rock star Miyavi, is a welcomed bonus; I've liked Miyavi ever since seeing him in Angelina Jolie's Unbroken. 

Kate feels like more than just another female action flick trying to ride the trend, and one that had potential to be great. Unfortunately it somewhat slows down in the second half when the action looses some of its creativity. Still, there's plenty of fights and shoot-outs to keep the fans satisfied. When it comes down to fighting, anything becomes a weapon here, scissors, broken wine glasses and refrigerator doors. There's some John Wick style gunplay thrown in (Leitch is one of the producers), next to knives and katana swords. While not original, Kate is a pretty damn fine piece of action filmmaking well worth watching.

Kate-Review-5.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 5:42 AM, Super Ninja said:

Japanese rock star Miyavi

Hell yea! Was wondering if that was him. Was thinking I was just being an idiotic american thinking asians looked similar to me lol, so figured it wasnt even worth looking into. 

Not even sure how I know about him, but that guy is cool as fuck. Probably just from being a guitar enthusiast and music fan. Didnt know he was an action actor as well, can only like him that much more now.

Also by far the best fight scene in the movie with most straight on hand to hand fighting less camera cuts. Badass fight, if the movie is worth watching for any of the fights at all (ending one isnt too shabby either however heavily chopped up but props for the scope). Those two fight scenes save this movie for me.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 2

As I mentioned above, those two fights saved the movie for me. Was left with a lot of cringeworthy elements outside of this. The cutesy japanese obsessed tropes just left me cringing while I admit were the reason I was interested in this at all. However it does deliver those aspects, albeit not well, so I cant be too disappointed. Definitely has redeemable revenge elements and ideas about being stuck in this assassin lifestyle. All in all not a bad viewing if you want a bloody and neon tinged fight flick with revenge elements. It does get boring and drag a little at times away from the action but is only an hour and half or twenty even minus credits. Yet feels a bit longer at times as a could-be ending or two turn a new direction.

• Like 2

Just watched that Gunpowder Milkshake after you all here made me aware of it. Didnt mind it much, not bad, quite enjoyable. Would put it on par with Kate, kate veers a little truer to the MA genre. There is some hand to hand fighting in gunpowder but it looks far lousier. Both of the movies are enjoyable if you can get past the cringe.  I do understand why you wouldnt have been into it though.

• Like 2