How to tell the difference between a Chinese and HK movie post 2000?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Is there any way to tell the difference between a Chinese production and Hong Kong production post 2000? 

Or is the only way to just look it up online?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Is there any way to tell the difference between a Chinese production and Hong Kong production post 2000? 

Or is the only way to just look it up online?

By Chinese, do you mean Mainland movies ? And which genre of movies ?

If you talk about martial arts movies, well, from the very few movies I watched, what I can say is :

1) The actors aren't very well known, at least for us, foreigners, or maybe it's just me

2) The fights are mostly based on wushu, they aren't as spectacular as the ones of the Shaws' of Golden Harvest, but they seem much more fast and nervous

3) There are beautiful landscapes

4) There are beautiful songs at the beginning or at the end of the movie, but I'm not sure it's true for all the movies, since I only watched a few of them

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Cognoscente said:

Mainland movies tend to have heavy-handed political messages.

That's true, there are many movies showing the anti Qing struggles.

Shaolin brothers 1983 and Magic force From highland 1990 are two very good Mainland movies.

• Like 2

More Mandarin being featured and spoken in conjunction with the Cantonese films.  Also more mainland actors being included in the Hong Kong movies like "Hu Jun" etc...

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 8/1/2021 at 8:04 AM, ShawAngela said:

If you talk about martial arts movies, well, from the very few movies I watched, what I can say is :

1) The actors aren't very well known, at least for us, foreigners, or maybe it's just me

2) The fights are mostly based on wushu, they aren't as spectacular as the ones of the Shaws' of Golden Harvest, but they seem much more fast and nervous

3) There are beautiful landscapes

4) There are beautiful songs at the beginning or at the end of the movie, but I'm not sure it's true for all the movies, since I only watched a few of them

Would agree with this for 1980's Mainland martial arts cinema, but post-2000, do you have any examples which you feel tick all of these boxes?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Would agree with this for 1980's Mainland martial arts cinema, but post-2000, do you have any examples which you feel tick all of these boxes?

I may be mistaken...

As you all know, I'm an ooooold fan of ooooold martial movies, so, I wonder if I ever watched some post 2000 Mainland movies...🤣😂🤣😂

Oh, yes, wait, I watched The gardsman and Master of shadowless kick, but I don' t remember if they fit my comments, nor if they really are Mainland movies...😀 And I also watched Young Master of shaolin 1 and 2, but I don' t know the year.

Where to find a list of the Mainland martial arts movies ?

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Oh, yes, wait, I watched The gardsman and Master of shadowless kick, but I don' t remember if they fit my comments

Based on them both being garbage, I'll say they don't.:tongueout

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Based on them both being garbage, I'll say they don't.:tongueout

As I said once, I often love movies that others dislike...I loved them both !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1