Where does Ching Miao rank among the Shaw greats?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

This man is credited with 211 films. Not sure how many are with Shaw Brothers but I would guess most of them are. 

I've seen him in so many movies. Would he make the top 10 or perhaps top 15 most prolific actors the studio ever had?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

This man is credited with 211 films. Not sure how many are with Shaw Brothers but I would guess most of them are. 

I've seen him in so many movies. Would he make the top 10 or perhaps top 15 most prolific actors the studio ever had?

If I'm not mistaken, he played in 188 Shaws, really prolific !

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

One of my favorite character actors! The likeness to daughter Ching Li is striking, I love when they both appear in a movie. 

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

One of my favorite character actors! The likeness to daughter Ching Li is striking, I love when they both appear in a movie. 

I didn't even realize they were Father and Daughter until about a week ago when I was looking up Ching Li on wikpedia. 

• Like 2

I hope that you know that Rosamund Kwan is Kwan Shan's daughter, right ? Kwan Shan is also a regular at Shaws, and maybe at Cathay too, unless I'm mistaken and I mistake him with another actor.

• Like 3

Ching Miao's first Shaws' movie was Blood of glory in 1958. Actually, it was a movie distributed by the Shaws, but well, it was the first time he put a toe in the Shaws' universe...

And the very first Shaws' produced movie he appeared in was Eve of the wedding in 1960.

• Like 3

I just found these pictures on hkmdb in which I hardly recognize him !KillersFive+1969-31-t.jpg KillersFive+1969-32-t.jpg

That strange that there aren't many pictures of him when he was young, though he played in his first movie at 27.

The older picture of his I found is this one, he is 42 years old.

OpiumPoppy+1955-3-b.jpg

• Like 3

IMO..one of those proficil actors who player in dozens movies as background character or sometimes main villain. He was good but not memorable. In acting he did well tho but better and more particularly more visible actors in same movie about always

Edited by FightingFool
  • Like 4

I believe he taught acting classes for Shaw Brothers.

For me he was one of the 5  'old man' greats at Shaw. I'd have to dig up the other names (They are tough to remember!)

Shum Lo, Chiang Nan, Wang Ching Ho, and Yeung Chi Hing. These 5 are amongst the greatest older actors anywhere!

• Like 4

On 7/31/2021 at 5:06 PM, ShawAngela said:

I hope that you know that Rosamund Kwan is Kwan Shan's daughter, right ? Kwan Shan is also a regular at Shaws, and maybe at Cathay too, unless I'm mistaken and I mistake him with another actor.

So I guess that's how she got her start in Shaw Brothers? I remember when I saw her in "Long Road to Gallantry" and it shocked me cause I wasn't expecting it. I had never knew she appeared in a Shaws movie. 

• Like 2