New Kung Fu Cult Master Parts 1 & 2 (2022) - Raymond Lam, Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Janice Man

AlbertV

Wong Jing has developed a sequel to his 1993 film Kung Fu Cult Master. Promo images have popped up and Jet Li's character is now played by Raymond Lam (P-Storm) and Sammo Hung's character is now played by...Donnie YenFrancis Ng's role is now played by Louis Koo. The film began production last year but was halted because of the COVID pandemic. However, with everything opening back up, production may begin soon again. 

https://www.fareastfilms.com/?news_post_type=raymond-lam-donnie-yen-and-louis-koo-starring-in-kung-fu-cult-master-sequel
https://dramapanda.com/2019/12/jet-lis-1993-film-kung-fu-cult-master.html

00.-Poster-696x1006.jpg

07.-Donnie-Yen.jpg

Donnie Yen as Zhang Sanfeng

08.-Louis-Koo.jpg
Louis Koo as Zhang Cuishan (left)

01.-Raymond-Lam-683x1024.jpg02.-Raymond-Lam-683x1024.jpg
Raymond Lam as Chang Mo-Kei

11.-Felix-Lok.jpg
Felix Lok as White-Browed Eagle King

09.-Alex-Fong-Chung-sun-683x1024.jpg
Alex Fong as Yang Xiao

10.-Raymond-Wong.jpg
Raymond Wong Ho-Yin

04.-Janice-Man-683x1024.jpg05.-Janice-Man.jpg
Janice Man as Zhao Min

12.-Tin-Kai-man.jpg
Tenky Tin Kai-Man

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

So is Sabrina Qiu playing Chingmy Yau's role and Yun Qianqian playing Gigai Lai's role?

Sabrina Qiu is playing a character called Zhou Zhiruo. IMDB doesn't have the character name for Yun Qianqian. IMDB does say that Xing Yu is also among the cast.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Sabrina Qiu is playing a character called Zhou Zhiruo.

Okay, that's Gigi Lai's character (Zhou Zhiruo is Chow Chi-Yu in Cantonese). So I'll assume that Yun Qianqian is playing Chingmy Yau's Siu Chiu (or Xiao Zhao in Mandarin).

• Like 2

Just now, DrNgor said:

Okay, that's Gigi Lai's character (Zhou Zhiruo is Chow Chi-Yu in Cantonese). So I'll assume that Yun Qianqian is playing Chingmy Yau's Siu Chiu (or Xiao Zhao in Mandarin).

That certainly makes sense. I've actually never seen the original. I really should get a copy.

• Like 2

Is it safe to assume Donnie will only play a small part here? Since the poster only mentions him as "special appearance". And why am I not surprised to see Louis Koo yet on another poster again :yociexp100:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, laagi said:

Is it safe to assume Donnie will only play a small part here? Since the poster only mentions him as "special appearance".

I don't recall Zhang Sanfeng (the character) playing a huge role in Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre Part 2. The King of Gold Lion, who was mainly mentioned in part 1, stepped up to the plate in that one.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 8:24 PM, Drunken Monk said:

This is now called New Kung Fu Cult Master and Donnie's role is limited to a "special appearance."

FDHfKPFWEAIzupP.jpg

The fact that Donnie's role is restricted into a special appearance (extended cameo role) should tell you how he currently feels about the period kung fu sub-genres overall. I'm really glad that he's focusing on contemporary movies nowadays. That's what his filmography was mostly lacking throughout the 2010s.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I haven’t found it on YouTube yet but you can watch the trailer on Facebook…

https://m.facebook.com/424063664306869/videos/745898513036959/

So many special effects and slow motions or freezing images during the action...Why can't they do something more realistic as in our loved old school movies or series ?!:monk_crying:

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

The trailer is garbage IMHO. Sorry but nothing got me excited about this!

Also marketing did a hell of a job with the new poster. Making it look like Koo and Yen will be a large part of the action. When they are clearly credited as "special appearance" only.

• Like 2

Yeah this was pretty meh overall but still makes for an OK watch I suppose.

Overall I'm more surprised it didn't totally suck :coveredlaugh And on that note Donnie Yen turns out to be more than just a poster child. He's got quite a bit of scree time. Unfortunately nothing worth mentioning and don't expect him to throw any punches either.

Which brings me to the Kung Fu of New Kung Fu Cult Master. It's very bland! Relying heavily on effect-laden choreography. Which is anything but all that exciting. There are short glimmers of hope when they throw out the effects part and decide to showcase some real moves. But these are barely non-existent.

What I did like about the movie are the costumes and some of the sets. Unfortunately even here nothing feels particularly real. Not sure but I doubt they ever shot on location (e.g. Wudang).

Since I watched part one I'll tune in for two as well. My hopes aren't high they'll improve on any of the aforementioned. In comparison I don't have fond memories of Jet Li's (unfinished) movie with the same source material either. It was rather quirky and goofy that's all I recall.

Last but not least I couldn't help but shake off the feeling that a classic Kung Fu setting does not transcend well into this modern era of film making. It all looks and feels too clean, not sure if that makes sense.

• Like 1