How do you spell "The Iron Monkey" or "Iron Monkey" in Chinese?

SMK

Question

On HKMDB, it is written as 

鐵馬騮

When I checked this in Google Translate, it stated it was 'Iron horse'.

The title card on the movie shows it as:

ironmonkey.png

So for those of you that can read/write in Chinese, I'd appreciate it if you could properly show me how to write out "The Iron Monkey".

Many thanks!!!

• Like 2

5 answers to this question

馬騮 (maa lau) in Cantonese can mean 'monkey' but can also be used to mean something like 'naughty child'.
鐵馬騮 (tit maa lau) is literally 'Iron Monkey' (using maa lau, which as I understand is only used in Cantonese).

The other title 鐵猴子 (tit hau zi) also translates to 'Iron Monkey', but the word used for 'monkey' (猴子, hau zi) can also be used in Mandarin to mean the same. 猴子 also just means 'monkey', to my knowledge there's no other meaning/use for that term. So both titles can be translated as 'Iron Monkey', they just use different words (with slightly different meanings/implication) for 'monkey'.

Both are correct in their own way.

@SMK the first character in 馬 is the character for 'horse' so that may be why Google Translate got it a bit confused.

Edit: a technical discussion that explains why maa lau uses the character for 'horse', for anyone that may be interested. https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/cantonese-etymology-of-monkey.999510/

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

The last character in the above post is "zi", if I'm not mistaken, the same as, for instance, for Shaolin kid or Kung fu kid.

But I'm not an expert in Chinese characters.

• Like 3