The Great Yokai War: Guardians (2021) - Kokoro Tekada, Hana Sugisaki, Rei Inomata, Takao Osawa

AlbertV

Sixteen years after Takashi Miike directed the fantasy film The Great Yokai War (Yokai Daisensho), he has returned with a sequel set for release on August 13 in Japan. The film will debut in North America at Montreal's Fantasia Film Festival as its closing film on August 25. One of the yokai set to appear in this one is the classic golem from Daimajin.

• Like 3

I liked the first one when it came out in 2005. That was when Miike madness was still relatively fresh.... I tried watching it again on TV last month and I couldn't even get to the end.

The sequel looks pretty terrible, though it's been getting surprisingly great reviews at foreign film festivals. Still not enough to convince me to see it in a theater.

• Like 2

It marks the return of Daimajin to the big screen! I'll watch it at some point, although I still haven't watched Sakuya, Slayer of Demons and The Great Yokai War.

• Like 2

Anything that has Miike's signature is a must for me, even though his recent output is a far cry from his glory days. Been wondering what he's up to, there was a time when it seemed like he needs less time to make a movie than his audience to watch it.

• Like 2