Dragons Forever Questions and Observations

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

I finale re-watched Dragon's Forever yesterday after not having sat through the whole film for a few years now. Since then, I've learned to recognize the various old school kung fu actor's faces, so I was surprised to see 'big name' guys playing background, anonymous thugs in this film. These guys included:

Lau Kar Wing

Billy Chan

Chan Lung

Chung Fat

Fung Hak On

They didn't get any spotlight roles, unlike guys like Dick Wei, Billy Chow and Philip Ko Fei. At the end of the film, I notice that Sammo's and Jackie's stunt teams were credited as having worked on the film. Did the above old schooler's fall under Sammo's stunt team? Were they under Jackie's stunt team? Or were they just familiar faces added to the film?

One person I noticed who was conspicuously absent was Jackie's favorite stunt buddy Mars. I wonder why he wasn't working along side all those other guys?

KFS

Guest Chen Zhen

sammo's stunt team consists of himself, yuen biao, billy chan wu ngai, chung faat and lam ching ying. not sure all the members of jackies team..but i know it consists of at least jackie and fung hak on. lau kar wing was not part of either team, but he became a good friend of sammo hung over the years. there were definetely quite a few recogizable faces that were part of neither stunt team, much like pedicab driver, but were featured in cameo/stunt roles. i suppose thats how close the action cinema circle was.

on a sidenote, Corey Yuen is also listed as an uncredited director of the film...anybody know what the story with that?

Guest theportlykicker

Even Wong Yue can be seen as one of the thugs during the boat fight with Jackie. It's an even bigger surprise to see him in such a small role because he wasn't a regular with Jackie or Sammo. Maybe Lau Kar Wing had something to do with his appearance.

Guest Reincarnation Of Thundering Mantis

Didn't both Mars and Chin Kar Lok double for Jackie in the end fight with Benny The Jet?

I believe Chin does a few spin kicks and Mars can be seen in the background (as Jackie's character) as Benny's double is flying through the glass case.

Guest The Running Man

No. I believe Mars doubled for Benny. Chin Ka Lok for Jackie.

Chin Kar Lok did the beautiful tornado kick that is executed on Benny (Mars).

Guest Beat TG
I've learned to recognize the various old school kung fu actor's faces, so I was surprised to see 'big name' guys playing background, anonymous thugs in this film.

that's how things went down for all veteran action performers in HK film industry in the mid 80s when real actors emerged into the scene, making the veterans no longer the main entertainers.

Guest The Running Man

I understood the question of "doubling" in the sense of doing a move or a fall for someone who can't do it for whatever reason.

The last shot of Jackie hitting Benny as he flies off seems to be more as if Mars was standing in for Jackie since obviously Jackie can perform a simple jumping roundhouse kick.

Hell whatever... :b

Cognoscente

I thought that the finale could have been better. It would have been nice to see Biao go at it with Benny while Chan and Wah go full throttle, especially in light of how Police Story III didn't deliver on the anticipated Chan versus Wah fight.

• Like 2