Where can I watch "Hong Kong Nocturne (1967)"?

Iron_Leopard

Question

Iron_Leopard

I don't want to buy an expensive dvd version of a movie I haven't seen yet. If I like the movie I would consider it.

But I want to see the movie first.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

TibetanWhiteCrane

It is pure fluff, but pleasant viewing as with most of Inoue Umetsugu's Shaw films. Predictable and inconsequential, but fun and colorful. Also worth it just for the trio of Cheng Pei Pei, Lily Ho and Chin Ping. Not a big fan of musicals in general, (diegetic or not) but for some reason the 60's Shaw ones work for me for the most part. This and Blue Skies are worth watching and owning in my opinion.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Iron_Leopard
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

It is pure fluff, but pleasant viewing as with most of Inoue Umetsugu's Shaw films. Predictable and inconsequential, but fun and colorful. Also worth it just for the trio of Cheng Pei Pei, Lily Ho and Chin Ping. Not a big fan of musicals in general, (diegetic or not) but for some reason the 60's Shaw ones work for me for the most part. This and Blue Skies are worth watching and owning in my opinion.

The cast is the main reason I want to see it. I'm obsessed with Shaw Brothers actresses. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

The cast is the main reason I want to see it. I'm obsessed with Shaw Brothers actresses. 

Did you also try the Huangmei movies ? They are all great, sometimes mixing fights and songs very well.

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard
On 7/17/2021 at 9:46 AM, ShawAngela said:

Did you also try the Huangmei movies ? They are all great, sometimes mixing fights and songs very well.

I haven't yet but am definitely willing to try some.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I haven't yet but am definitely willing to try some.

I'm almost sure that you'll love them, and in particular Ivy Ling Po's /Li Ching's ones !

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
41 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I'm almost sure that you'll love them, and in particular Ivy Ling Po's /Li Ching's ones !

When I was watching "The Twin Swords" last night I had to look up Ivy Ling Po (I'm familiar with her name but not her or her work) cause I was curious why she was listed as a special guest star. After some research I discovered she was a huge star from Huengmei opera films so her small role in this movie was considered a big deal. 

I'm a big time open minded when it comes to movies. I can watch anything. So I'm sure I could get into Huengmei.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

For some reason I like Ivy Ling Po best in her dramas and contempo films. I don't think she was the most competent screen fighter, though I do like her in stuff like Duel for Gold and 14 Amazons.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
On 7/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

May I just add, if that is the case, their acting skills, charisma, beauty and overall femininity are usually much better represented in their contempo films of various genres than in their wuxia/kung fu pictures. My personal appreciation of actresses like Pei Pei, Lily Ho, Lily Li, Li Ching etc. greatly increased after venturing outside of just the MA genre within the Shaw filmography. And you will also then discover new faces outside of that bubble, such as Jenny Hu.... who I could look at all day, or Tina Chin Fei or Angela Yu Chien. So I say take a chance on some different stuff. It's not a legally binding commitment, you can always back out and go back to the warrior women, but at least you gave it a shot.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 3