City of Violence (2006)

Guest The Running Man

A decent movie. Action had some nice moments but the editing and quick angle changes were annoying. Especially during the fight when both the male leads were facing 2 expert kickers each. Kept switching between both of them fighting even before any moves connected which was confusing to keep up with! Hated the soft sound effects with the fights. I suppose for a korean martial arts movie made recently it's better than most.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Hated the soft sound effects with the fights"

It's what they do now a days(like CTHD). They want more realism in their foley. It hurts pictures imo. People throwing as hard as they can, spinning, bashing, growling, bleeding and the sound is a light, poof. Wtf!? Rather than really get into what I'm seeing, I'm taken aback by the light in the ass soundfx. Wackness.

The movie was decent at best but I liked what I saw action-wise (minus the huge gang fight, looked too out of place and overdramatized).

Mark of the Dragon

JDH's fight choreography was incredible in the film, and the camera work was solid. Of course, the premise was somewhat shallow, and the overall scale of some fights was downright ridiculous.

Still highly enjoyable.

Was a decent watch, didnt get bored which is important, but overall I was kinda disappointed by it (although cant complain at price of £3 lol).

It had good kicks in it which are my favourite in martial arts films but you could tell with a lot of the moves in the starting frames that they would never land (by quite a long way too) and obviously change the camera angle to give impression the kick has landed. IMO i thought it was poorly done.

The mass teenage gang attack on the 2 main guys was kinda pointless and overdone, it was too unrealistic. But a kool thing about that was one of the gangs was a straight copy of a gang in the American film called "Warriors" of 1979. :nerd:

Archived