Limbo (2021) HK Thriller - Soi Cheang

laagi

The movie had its premiere at the Berlinale '21. Also after reading the review on COF (here), I can't wait to watch this!

Anybody know when or where this will be available?

Edited by laagi
  • Like 5

What a movie! I'm not really sure how to describe it. The look of it alone is mesmerizing. This is truly a piece of art.

Everything seems to work in perfect harmony here. I seldom seen something like this. Every sound, every music cue, every shot complementing what we're allowed to witness on screen. Sucking you in from start to finish. You can't take your eyes of it. 

After the credits roll you're left wanting more, wishing it wouldn't be over already. I'm with the COF review here. The word masterpiece gets thrown around way too often but if a recent HK movie comes close to it this is definitely one you should seek out as soon as possible. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the review. I also was anticipating this movie after reading about in easternkicks. I received a copy of the movie just a few days ago but haven't had a chance to watch it without distractions but will definitely make time tonight to see it.

EDIT:

After watching it, I have to concur with @laagi. It gave me David Fincher vibes at times but I think it was more of perhaps Kiyoshi Kurosawa mixed with some Pang Brothers. The lead Gordon Lam (with the long hair and goatee) even looks a bit like Koji yakusho when he was appearing in one Kurosawa movie after the other.

Gordon Lam puts on a superb performance as the grizzled and world weary detective with a tragic backstory in charge of tracking down a vicious serial killer but I can't say enough about mainland actress, Cya Liu. She plays the role of a street urchin involved in low level criminal activity. This is my first time seeing her and she is fantastic. Just a gritty performance considering the amount of abuse she takes in this movie.

Special mention also has to be made of the soundtrack and especially the cinematography considering the majority of the film was shot in garbage dumps and homeless encampments. Dog Bites Dog was my favorite Soi Cheang film but this one has surpassed it.

Favorite scene:

Spoiler

When Mason Lee's wisdom tooth (which has been bothering him the entire movie) finally becomes dislodged during his struggle with the Japanese serial killer. Sure it's played for cheap laughs but in a film that is as bleak and dark as this one; it had the desired effect.

Least favorite scene:

Spoiler

The rape scene involving Wong To (Cya Liu). It wasn't overly graphic like Irreversible or exploitation rape and revenge films but it still made me a squirm a bit.

Edited by Yihetuan
added thoughts after watching it
  • Like 2

Looks incredible, only by looking at the trailer! This just might be the movie that will put Soi Cheang back on the map, after a stint of CGI-driven movies and being out of his element for a good while now. Motorway was the last great thing he did imo, almost 10 years ago.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

Anybody know why this movie still hasn't been picked up by an label (even in asia) whatsoever? Every other major HK production from 2021 already had a release either in digital or physical form. Pretty infuriating to see probably the best one just being ignored!?

• Like 2

Since the movie has got a great reputation (being the most nominated movie at this year's HKFA), I'm sure it will be distributed by any of the major HK movie distributor including Edko Films, Panorama Co., Emperor Motion Pictures, CN Entertainment, and Vicol Entertainment, 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 11:34 PM, laagi said:

Anybody know why this movie still hasn't been picked up by an label (even in asia) whatsoever? Every other major HK production from 2021 already had a release either in digital or physical form. Pretty infuriating to see probably the best one just being ignored!?

Your wish is granted... Panorama has picked up Hong Kong rights, and will release it on bluray just before Christmas Eve.

Limbo (Blu-Ray) (Scheduled release date: 2022-12-23) (panorama.com.hk)

• Like 1

The hype is real and well deserved. The movie delivers in all aspects of its' medium. Acting, directing, writing, sound/music, editing, and above all, cinematography/lensing/lighting! The fact that the movie was entirely shot in black-and-white worked wonderfully and to its' fullest, boosting the depressing and pessimistic vibe surrounding the story and showing mere imperfections of all crucial characters. Law enforcers, criminals, civilians etc. Nobody is shown in a good light, and everyone are cruel and dirty.

It's like Soi Cheang wanted to give the movie a sense of ordinary people living in a hellhole (like a WW-setting) being situated badly in their own lives. Which leads me to another thing: Locations. The choice of shooting at certain places was obviously deliberate and meticulously planned. The story is primarily shot at places with lots of garbage dumps and at spots with homeless people. While I did see some overhead shots of Hong Kong at night (as a way to show Hong Kong as a segregated city?), the majority of takes are mainly composed of places that are far less attractive.  It's captivating and quite an astounding accomplishment. 👏👏👏

The overall acting... Superb! Gordon Lam has come a long way being in the Hong Kong film industry since the late 1980s, and it's good to see him finally getting the recognition and respect he truly is due for. From Infernal Affairs, Milkyway movies to Ip ManDealer/HealerHand-Rolled Cigarette, and now this movie. It's his best acting performance to date giving it his all. Also shout-outs to Mainland actress Cya Liu, as the low-life criminal who takes so much abuse from everyone in the movie, and Mason Lee (son of Taiwanese director Ang Lee) as Gordon Lam's rookie sidekick with a handicap.

This is a welcoming return for director Soi Cheang, who with the movie, ensures his position as one of Hong Kong's most prominent filmmakers within the thriller/crime genre. I was afraid he would never go back to his element after his stint of genre movies that hasn't done much for his career. So I'm very glad that he made the decision to go back to what he does best: Giving all of us his style of thrills!

Speaking of comebacks, Cheang shot a new thriller movie last year titled Fatal Fate that will, once again, lead star Gordon Lam and is produced by Johnnie To. It should be out sometime this year. 

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2

I saw today the great new 4K disc from Capelight and i was amazed what a real good dark thriller cop movie. Very atmospheric in b&w and the tracking shots are worth alone to watch this movie !!! Highly recomended.

• Like 2