Letters to Bob Baker

Cognoscente

Killer Meteor
3 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

I've been re-reading the Jeff Rovin/Kathy Tracy book, The Essential Jackie Chan Sourcebook, where a chapter about Triads reminded me of this subject. An anonymous "industry source" is quoted as saying: "Hong Kong drug dealers often use entertainers as carriers, since they travel frequently and are usually accorded special treatment by foreign customs officials."

The chapter that it's from is called Gangster's Paradise which also includes, for its time, the following statement: "Stories have long circulated that Bruce Lee's death wasn't merely a tragic accident, and in each version the Triads play a prominent role. One of the more sinister theories is that Lee was murdered after he made it clear he wanted to make a break from Golden Harvest and work autonomously. Somebody along the financial food chain took umbrage at that notion and made sure that Bruce didn't go anywhere."

The statement came after the writers talked about Jackie's problem with Lo Wei.

That was the plot of Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger as I recall.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 8/8/2021 at 2:47 PM, reason108 said:

NO cocaine found in the body at the time of death.

Didnt they find a packet of powder in his trouser pocket?, I really need to get @Marcos Ocaña latest book on the subject.

• Like 2

Now that the dust has settled, it's time to look at other aspects of the letters.

Unlike Linda, Bruce never writes "Dear" Bob.

In the March 11, 1971 letter, Bruce references Bob's son having written a letter to Brandon. I wonder what correspondence that they had over the years.

If Bob was so eager to be in the movies, why didn't Bruce cast him in ETD?

I wonder what book and record that Bob sent to Bruce in 1973.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 9:55 AM, Cognoscente said:

If Bob was so eager to be in the movies, why didn't Bruce cast him in ETD?

Maybe Bob Baker was waiting was busy working on Valley of The Double Dragon - (1973)?.

• Like 3

Valley of the Double Dragon was made a little bit further down the line. That October '73 letter from Linda to Bob was addressed to Kai Fa Film in Taiwan.

• Like 2

IMO , if Betty killed him id imagine her refusing to do interviews at all costs but she has done several

As Vince would say : Bruce screwed Bruce 

Always conspiracy theories , same with Bob Sagets death recently

• Like 2

Except people can lie. If you read Marcos Ocana's book about his death, you will find that Betty contradicted herself many times.

The funny thing about you bringing up Betty was that I was recently thinking how Bruce never bothered to send her letters when he was in America in 1972 (to sign the ETD deal) and when he was recuperating (after the May 10 incident).

• Like 2

Just now, Cognoscente said:

Except people can lie. If you read Marcos Ocana's book about his death, you will find that Betty contradicted herself many times.

The funny thing about you bringing up Betty was that I was recently thinking how Bruce never bothered to send her letters when he was in America in 1972 (to sign the ETD deal) and when he was recuperating (after the May 10 incident).

Didnt Linda Lee Cadwell ask for Betty Ting-Pei to be interviewed for Bruce Lee The Legend (1984)?. Sure that was mentioned in Bruce Lee His Eternities published the same year, unless my memorys wrong?. I think it was featured in a English translation taken from a Hong Kong magazine?.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 6:41 PM, Cognoscente said:

It looks like it going by the below page. Back to 1973, I'm surprised that Linda didn't slap Betty.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice. Which magazine is that?

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, Cognoscente said:

April 14.

april14.jpg.f8255da92db8548a02fb86ccbdea1c7e.jpg

14b.jpg.677f1cdc5426189cb3e984ae5443edb2.jpg

Baker's death was the 20th anniversary of when this letter was written.

• Like 2