Letters to Bob Baker

Cognoscente

DragonClaws

Fans now know how much of bigger part Bob Baker played in Bruce Lee's life. Few biographies or documentaries have given much focus to this man.

How much of the Sonny Chiba flick Soul of Chiba(1977) a.k.a Soul of Bruce Lee, was inspired by similar stories?.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1104/4308/products/soul_1024x1024.jpg?v=1469093894

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk

I think these letters add more to the enigma that is Bruce Lee. It breaks the “superhero” mold he’s been placed in and shows him to be much more of a flawed person (if you happen to see drug taking as a flaw).

But I don’t think we should be hard on him. Half of Hollywood has has legitimate drug problems: Ben Affleck, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Chris Farley, Colin Farrell etc. etc. It’s part of the culture. To me, this makes him more interesting; more human. Because it takes away those rose tinted glasses people see him through.

• Like 3

I just want to see Valley Of The Double Dragon in scope. The DVD was one of the worst pan and scan jobs i've ever seen.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

It would be nice if Hollywood Reporter did an oral history with Bruce's stuntmen and other film personnel from HK.

• Like 5

Killer Meteor
13 hours ago, saltysam said:

IMDB claim Baker had a small role in Way, i never spotted him in it.? False info?

Probably. I remember IMDB used to claim Chuck Norris was in Enter the Dragon as a "messenger."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I find it crazy that people are disowning Bruce because of a few "drug" letters. 

To be brutally honest with you, these newly released letters actually intensified my love for Bruce Lee. Huge fan here. Even bigger fan now. And to think that he was constantly experimenting with himself physically, mentally, and now, chemically, is an amazing discovery and adds a fresh new insight into his life. And I'm not condoning drug use in any way, shape or form, but some of greatest geniuses who changed this world – like The Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, Brian Wilson, Sigmund Freud, Carl Sagan, and Paul Erdös – have experimented just like Bruce did. Nothing negative here, unless you make it negative. And I'd love to read more about this part of Bruce's life.

That's the truth.

see-i-think-drugs-have-done-some-good-things-for-67170608.png.77dea63e10833b61515d027e1fdcb784.png

Edited by mpm74
  • Like 6

DragonClaws
16 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Probably. I remember IMDB used to claim Chuck Norris was in Enter the Dragon as a "messenger."

They still ahve Bolo Yeung credited among the cast of the 1978 version of Game of Death.

12 hours ago, mpm74 said:

Nothing negative here, unless you make it negative. And I'd love to read more about this part of Bruce's life.

Many books and documentaries have been skimming around Bruce Lee's life, but never actually delving deep into any areas of it. Death by Misadventure had a good go, in terms of taking a deep dive into his death. I think if this had come out udring the internet era, there would have been a similar reaction to how it portrayed Bruce Lee.

• Like 5

Coliseum1972
9 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

One of extras in Way looks like Billy Lo in Game '78 , no idea if same guy though , he has dark glasses

• Like 4

Josh Baker
25 minutes ago, Coliseum1972 said:

One of extras in Way looks like Billy Lo in Game '78 , no idea if same guy though , he has dark glasses

I know the one you mean, it's one of the guys who gets a dart in the hand inside the restaurant, right? hes wearing a stripy jumper, and gets kicked in the balls by Bruce.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I think Bey Logan said the extra was an Indian.

19 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

I know the one you mean, it's one of the guys who gets a dart in the hand inside the restaurant, right? hes wearing a stripy jumper, and gets kicked in the balls by Bruce.

@Coliseum1972 It was Cyril Durrup, he's given a number of interviews in books and magazines over the years.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

2 nov 70.jpg

This signature just doesn't seem right? By that I'm not being skeptical regarding the authenticity; I just mean the cursive itself. I'm so used to the "Bruce" signature with the flowing lines and embellishments.

• Like 4

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

By that I'm not being skeptical regarding the authenticity; I just mean the cursive itself. I'm so used to the "Bruce" signature with the flowing lines and embellishments.

@Coliseum1972 and @reason108 have made some informed comments elswhere on the forum. Regarding faked Bruce Lee items, might be worth asking their opinions on this?.

• Like 2

DragonClaws

The Mirror has contacted Bruce Lee’s estate and representatives for comment on this story.

The documents were discovered at a flea market and have since been auctioned in the US for around £160,000.

Source- https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/bruce-lees-unearthed-letters-suggest-24496839

I thought Bob Baker's son disocvered the letters?.

• Like 2

Coliseum1972

What Chris Benoit did was much much MUCH worse : he killed his own son and then his wife

Perspective and all that......

Those letters do appear authentic Lee writing despite the oddly written name 

The extra I was talking about seen in Bruce Benn arm wrestling table photo 

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 2

DragonClaws
19 hours ago, Coliseum1972 said:

The extra I was talking about seen in Bruce Benn arm wrestling table photo 

Its the same extra, I've got a couple of interviews with him that feature the same photos.

• Like 3

Well, actually doesn't really surprise me that much and confirms some stuff that was happening to Bruce Lee in the last months of his life which people used to always say that it was just stress because the overload of work he had. Looks like there was much more hidden.

The thing is, there's still many people today making money out of the "Bruce Lee the holy, invincible, pure, morally superior, superhero" image and this information comming out to the public may not good for them who wants to perpetuate this image.

But this just proves that Bruce Lee was only a human being, that's all. We shouldn't judge and respect the man for the postive things he did for the martial arts and the film business.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
49 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

DTBLS is a Disney movie.

Given how they keep buying everything up, maybe one day it will be!

• Like 4

Coliseum1972

I still will not rule out murder completely though :

Chow at restaurant : "is anyone else dead ?" , did Chow know about drugs and if so placed the so called paper baggies near Lees body so people would think overdose instead of foul play ?

The stunt men refusing to talk with cameraman Lowe : "he's not coming back" (how would they know 100% Lee was dead ?)

Lo Wei being pissed , Chow losing face in public , Chow knew he could cash in regardless if Lee dead as he later cheated Linda out of movie rights

Rome , triads , Bryanston.......mobster ties everywhere

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 3